PDA

View Full Version : kidneys at 40% efficiency -- 15 year kidney lifespan?

Morpheus
08-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi all
Ive been mullling over this bit of news for quite some time now.
My doctor and I had a long talk.

The gist of it was, although my lupus is under control, and im doing ok, My kidneys have still sustained damage.

He estimated it to be at 40% efficiency at the time we discussed, and looking at the rate of decline, he estimated atleast 15 years till dialysis!!

Is this a valid estimation? Can they make such predictions?

This saddens me somewhat, I am 29,I have yet to marry, have kids and live my life!!. I will have to plan to accomadate for this, in my personal and professional life!

Not too sure if I want to marry, would my wife be there for me like I would want too?

Lots of decisions, how can I accomadate this major change, because its gradual, it will be a slow enduring process!

I kinda knew it would come down to this, just never realised its here!! Its been 15 years since i was diagnosed, I never realy understood the ramifications of having a lifelong chronicle illness, howto live with it, how to cope with it.. untill now!!

Anyone else experience this? any guidance words of wisdom?
All will be appreciated!

SandyR
08-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi all
Ive been mullling over this bit of news for quite some time now.
My doctor and I had a long talk.

The gist of it was, although my lupus is under control, and im doing ok, My kidneys have still sustained damage.

He estimated it to be at 40% efficiency at the time we discussed, and looking at the rate of decline, he estimated atleast 15 years till dialysis!!

Is this a valid estimation? Can they make such predictions?

This saddens me somewhat, I am 29,I have yet to marry, have kids and live my life!!. I will have to plan to accomadate for this, in my personal and professional life!

Not too sure if I want to marry, would my wife be there for me like I would want too?

Lots of decisions, how can I accomadate this major change, because its gradual, it will be a slow enduring process!

I kinda knew it would come down to this, just never realised its here!! Its been 15 years since i was diagnosed, I never realy understood the ramifications of having a lifelong chronicle illness, howto live with it, how to cope with it.. untill now!!

Anyone else experience this? any guidance words of wisdom?
All will be appreciated!

(((HUGS))) I am sorry to hear you are coping with some bad news. I have no expertise with kidney function, but I wanted to comment and say - don't lose hope. You are too young for that! You doctor said AT LEAST 15 years before dialysis. That is a long time and in medical advancement terms who knows that progress will be made by then with Lupus and other chronic diseases and organ deterioration. We can't predict the future and it is possible that it will be many more than 15 years before you have to face this obstacle head on. That is a long time away for you still.
You also are too young to give up on love. I really believe love hits us when we aren't looking for it. You have a huge heart and are very honest and any woman you are with would be one who appreciates and emulates these qualities so I think being supportive of you would be a given. Please don't look at this new information from only the negative. You still have lots and lots of time to do the things you want to do, get married, have a family, advance your career, travel. It may be possible that when the 15 years have come and gone your goal of living forever will be achieveable. All things are possible with hope and faith so please don't give up either.

mountaindreamer
08-16-2010, 02:42 PM
hi morpheus,

i, too, am sorry to hear about your news from the dr. However, i have to agree with sandy, the medical world is moving so quickly, and they are making new discoveries every day. In fifteen years, hopefully, there will be no need for dialysis....they will have a fix for kidney failure.

when my daughter recently fought breast cancer, she told her oncologist that she was worried about her little girl....the oncologist said " i am not worried about Kayla, in 20 years, we will be able to walk into the grocery store, give some blood, and by the time we leave, they will have a full report of our health. And, they will have the cures for whatever they might find."

So, morpheus, try not to worry. go about your life, stumble upon love, and enjoy every minute of happiness.

Angel Oliver
08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi Morpheus,

I second and third what Sandy and Phyllis said.Sorry about the news,i realise its something that would make you think ALLOT.But they are both right.Medical technology will be far more better in the future.15 years is along way ahead to think of.Take one day at a time.Love will so come round for you when you least expect and your girlfriend or wife will be so lucky to have you in their life as you sound so thoughtful and kind.Keep posting and know we are always here for you.
Lots of gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxx