PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos think that I am dinner.

debbie-b
08-13-2010, 10:06 AM
This sounds so trivial, but I need a tip, on how to fight off mosquitos.
I get bitten by these pests so much and nothing I have tried has kept them away from me. Last week I was cooking on the grill outside, after the sun was down, because I can't go out in the sun. The next day I saw and felt about 10 mosquito bites, not only do they itch like crazy, mine get big ( bigger than a half dollar) and hot. I feel like I have a fever, until they start going away.
I use spray, but first of all, I hate to put poison on my skin, it smells and it does NOT help at all. I have used that Avon stuff, it didn't help, I have bought that clip on fan, no help either.
I can't go outside at all anymore, when I get off work late, after sunset, I get bitten walking to my car. On top of everything, they have just warned on tv, that the west nile virus is around again.
How can I protect myself? My doctor said that I must be allergic to mosquito bites. REALLY???????????????
Any tips?

Debbie

rob
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Mosquitos are the Maine state bird. We have tee-shirts that say "They don't bite, they suck!". I use a product called Muskol, and it works well. It's a Canadian made product, and should be available in New York. The company has a website-

www.muskol.com/en/home/ (http://www.muskol.com/en/home/)

It's a bit smelly, but it works. Also, one thing I do if I forget to put the stuff on and manage to get bit anyway, is to take a couple of Benadryl tablets, as it helps keep the swelling and itching down to a minimum. Hope this helps.

Rob

Bonita
08-13-2010, 11:23 AM
i guess i am and oddball but these things do not like me Bonita

Nonna
08-13-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm allergic to most kinds of insect bites. I feel that taking an antihistamine helps a lot. I don't out outside much any more because of getting bit. Good luck with Rob's product I think I may try it myself

nonna twitching away

debbie-b
08-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Mosquitos are the Maine state bird. We have tee-shirts that say "They don't bite, they suck!". I use a product called Muskol, and it works well. It's a Canadian made product, and should be available in New York. The company has a website-

www.muskol.com/en/home/ (http://www.muskol.com/en/home/)

It's a bit smelly, but it works. Also, one thing I do if I forget to put the stuff on and manage to get bit anyway, is to take a couple of Benadryl tablets, as it helps keep the swelling and itching down to a minimum. Hope this helps.

Rob

Yes, they do suck, big time.lol
Thank you so much, if it helps me, I will buy you a drink. A BIG ONE.
I don't care about smelly, as long as it helps.

Debbie

debbie-b
08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
i guess i am and oddball but these things do not like me Bonita

You are so lucky. My husband doesn't get bitten either.
They love me to much. I wish they wouldn't.

Debbie

debbie-b
08-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm allergic to most kinds of insect bites. I feel that taking an antihistamine helps a lot. I don't out outside much any more because of getting bit. Good luck with Rob's product I think I may try it myself

nonna twitching away

I never even thought about Benadryl, that would probably help.
Debbie

rob
08-14-2010, 03:05 AM
Yes, they do suck, big time.lol
Thank you so much, if it helps me, I will buy you a drink. A BIG ONE.
I don't care about smelly, as long as it helps.

Debbie

I like Guinness, or Patron Tequila...

debbie-b
08-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I like Guinness, or Patron Tequila...

It's a deal.

Debbie

jmail
08-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Skeeters don't like me... bad blood maybe??... But they sure go after my wife & the kids...

btw, they go after your infrared "footprint". The more "visible" you are, the better target you are. My "normal" body temperature is like 96.9, which is almost two degrees below "normal" (hypothyroidism??), and I always wear jeans, longsleeve shirts, socks & hats, so the buggers can't hardly "see" me maybe... ??

SandyR
08-16-2010, 07:29 AM
I've been told that if you keep a dryer sheet in your pocket the smell will repel them. I don't know if it really works, but it might be worth a try until your Muskol arrives.