PDA

View Full Version : My Feet... Just need to vent

kdawny
08-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Hello all,
I joined a couple months ago, I haven't posted much but I read a lot. But tonight I just need to vent about how sore my feet are. My feet have always been one of my major issues. Tonight I went with my daughter to pick up her school schedule... she starts middle school tomorrow... so exciting. We were there for around an hour and half and my feet hurt so bad. By the end of the evening I was limping and moving very slow. I have been on Plaquenil since last Nov. After the first month it really seemed to help but the last month or so they are back to being so sore. I am a teacher so I am on my feet a lot but try to sit as much a possible. I had orthotics made over a year ago, but they really never helped, yet I still try to wear them.
I saw my rhuemy a few weeks ago and she told me if my feet weren't getting any better to call and we could discuss changing or adding to my meds.
So for those of you that may have feet problems, what are some things you do to have relief from the pain? What meds are you on? and how are they working?
Thanks for listening,
Kim

SandyR
08-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Kim,

I can empathize with your poor achy tired feet. I see a chiropractor and that helps me. She also turned me onto this excersize that helps. Barefoot or with socks on, you roll a tennis ball from your heel to the ball of your foot while sitting. I do that at night when my feet are very achy and it helps massage them. You can adjust the pressure with how hard you push down. I also like pedicures - soaking my feet & getting pretty toes all at once. The most important thing for me is my shoes. I try to change them when I get home and I try to make sure to rotate my sneakers out frequently to wear evenly. I also make sure that I buy good shoes with an arch and that I don't wear heels on painful feet days. I have orthodic flip flops and those are also helpful.
Sandy

Bonita
08-11-2010, 03:07 PM
My feet have recently become a very sore subject for me. I have a lot of the ra and it is now affecting my feet. I am and avid walker and my husband is also we walk at least 5 days a week for about 3 miles when we are up to it and when his copd is not bad. But latley my feet are swelling even up part of my shin and the rhuemy says this is bone swelling from the ra and he is putting me on the injectable form of methotrexate in stead of the oral and i am on 6 mgs of pred and 2oo of plaquinel. But some days it is pretty bad. Bonita

Angel Oliver
08-11-2010, 04:24 PM
My toes most of the time are blue n numb.Then they feel like they will explode n pop.When lying down i have real pain in my heels and always achy cold feet.No heels for ages so i have to wear flat shoes for now.A hot bath does ease them a little.Im on plaquenil also.So annoying when i have about 40 pairs of such nice shoes....n i have to wear flat ones....lol...im such a girl.Oh also if i turn over in bed,i have pain in my toes so now sleep with them perched on a feather pillow....ahhhhhh relief lol:)xx

SandyR
08-12-2010, 06:58 AM
My toes most of the time are blue n numb.Then they feel like they will explode n pop.When lying down i have real pain in my heels and always achy cold feet.No heels for ages so i have to wear flat shoes for now.A hot bath does ease them a little.Im on plaquenil also.So annoying when i have about 40 pairs of such nice shoes....n i have to wear flat ones....lol...im such a girl.Oh also if i turn over in bed,i have pain in my toes so now sleep with them perched on a feather pillow....ahhhhhh relief lol:)xx

That's me - 40 pairs of shoes and I have to wear the flat ones right now. *sigh*

mountaindreamer
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
hi kim,

i too suffer with daily feet pain. Like Bonita, i also have RA, and experience swelling in my feet that goes up to my shins. I have resorted to only comfortable shoes with no heels and lots of cusion. As soon as i get in, i change into my over stuffed house shoes that i replace on a regular basis. I also get pedicures, cause the soothing bath and massage help a lot. but, no matter what i do, my feet hurt.

I am on 400 mg plaquenil plus methotrexate injection...i give myself a weekly shot. the combination does a decent job of keeping my lupus at a lower level, but there are certain parts of my body that hurt no matter what treatments i am on....my hands, my feet, my shoulders, my knees, my hips....yuk.

Bonita
08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
What and exclusive club we belong to and know one is knocking down the door to join. Alittle humor amongnst the pain. Sorry Bonita

Angel Oliver
08-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Lol Bonita:)xx

kdawny
08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks all so much! I can see I'm not alone.....Sorry to say.
And Bonita please don't ever be sorry for the humor. A good laugh keeps us sane.
I love to get pedicures, but gets to be pricey with how much I would like to get them. I too love shoes. I had probably around 40 pairs too, but recently got rid of most of them. Can't remember the last time I had on a pair of heels. The difficult part is I can't really wear flats, flip-flops, or sandals, which are more my style than sneakers, because I have high arches and the flat sole causes problems. Lately even with the orthotics in or orthopedic type shoes, they still are so sore.
I am going to try the tennis ball, that sounds like it will give me some relief, at least for the moment.
My doc has talked to me about getting a shot in my feet, but I am scared it is going to be very painful. But right about now I am willing to give it a try if it will help in the long run.
Thanks again for sharing, it really does help:)

magistramarla
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I also have painful feet. I have neuropathy in my feet and Raynaud's Syndrome. Sometimes my toes are so numb, I can't feel them. This makes it scary to drive, since I'm not too sure how hard I'm pressing on the accelerator or the brake. The Raynaud's makes my feet very sensitive to cold. I've taken to wearing fuzzy socks to bed - to my hubby's amusement, since I wear nothing else to bed!
I've been sticking to comfy shoes with good support, too. For dressing up, I have found that I can stand Hushpuppies pumps with a 1/2 inch heel.
Hugs,
Marla