PDA

View Full Version : NEED ADVISE?

Cassady
10-13-2005, 01:37 PM
TOMORROW IS MY FIRST RHEMY APPT. AND I'M REALLY SCARED. MAYBE I'M NUTS BUT I THINK I'M MORE SCARED THAT SHE IS GOING TO SAY
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME IT IS JUST IN MY HEAD. I REALLY DON'T THINK ITS ALL IN MY HEAD. i HAVE BEEN SICK OFF AND ON FOR TEN YEARS. I CAN'T BE THAT CRAZY, CAN I????????

hatlady
10-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Cassady;

First, take a deep breath. Not knowing is the hardest thing. Tomorrow you will learn something.

Create a list of questions - make two copies. Give one toyour rheumy, and expect (DEMAND!) that you review the questions. You need answers, even if the answer is "I don't know" you need to know that you've been listened to.

If you type the questions, please allow me to make one style suggestion. Many people take offense at all capital letters, they feel the person is shouting at them. You want your rheumy to be receptive, so please type in lower case, except for the start of sentences, of course!

Be specific as you can - you say yo've been sick for 10 years, off and on. Define what that means so the doc knows what you've been experiencing and how often.

Post and tell us how the visit went, we're here to listen.

Sending you a hug as well!

catlady4520
10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree with hatlady! My rheumatologist is extremely busy and if I don't make a list of questions and write down the answers, I get home and think of stuff I should have asked.

Once you attend your appt, ask for pamphets to explain if you have lupus or another autoimmune disease. I also did research at the library.

When I first found out I actually have lupus, I asked - what medications will be used to treat it, what the long term prognosis is, what other organs could be affected and what are the plans to prevent further damage, what other tests will be run to keep an eye on the lupus etc.

Several weeks before my appt, I started a list of questions and added to it as I thought of new questions. Since I have lupus of the brain, my short term memory is affected so have to write down questions when they come to me or will forget.

Hope this helps! Let us know how your appt goes!

Cassady
10-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Thank you so much for your suggestions, I do have a list of what has been going on in the last ten years. Also, I have copies of all my medical records. My Hemo Dr. thought maybe that would help because I have had so many test in the past (including Bone Marrow Biopsy) and so many blood problems.
Finding all of you has been a blessing!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Cassady
10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi All -
I'm back from my appt. I loved this Doctor. She really listened and looked at my past test results. She checked me over and said that I do have Fibromyalgia and she is running more test for Lupus. So I had more
blood work done and some xrays and should know more in six weeks. I was so surprised at how much she listened and did not treat me like I was nuts. After ten years I have found a Doctor that really listens. She wrote a scipt. for something to help with sleep and also for 800 mg of ibuprofen to be taken 3x a day. I already take Cymbalta which she things is good.

YEAH!!!!!!!! :D.

hatlady
10-14-2005, 03:41 PM
:D Three Cheers Cassaday!

Finding a doc who LISTENS is like winning Lotto. Actually, I think it is better than winning lotto!

Many hugs, and I hope you'll stay with us and keep posting!

Mitch
10-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi Cassaday! Was very happy to hear of your good experience at your appointment. With all due respect to all doctors, I truly believe that women listen better (mine is a woman, too.) It's almost like the whole ego thing is a non-issue. She listens, she takes a minute to think about it, we discuss it, and it's a real pleasure! I'm sure it's a big load off your mind! Good luck!

Mitch