PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Survivors With Lupus

Lupine
08-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi, as a cancer survivor recently diagnosed with Lupus a couple of years ago, I find that when I get a new type of symptom that I have not had before during a flare, I tend to get very nervous. The challange I have is there are so many things that mimick other things. Sure, I go to the doc - my concern is what if 1 time a symptom is ignored because the assumption is that its caused by the Lupus. This is more me expressing some of the stressors related to my situation, and I'm wondering if there is anybody that has a similiar situation. Once you've had cancer, its always in the back of your mind, and becuase Lupus is an autoimmune disorder, it increases the risk for the cancer returning.

Thanks!

jmail
08-01-2010, 03:09 PM
The thought is always in the back of my head "is it cancer?", even when it's just a head cold. When I went to the doctor back in April, and was then refered to a hemalogogist, he was looking at my older blood test results and says "... of course, it could be cancer..." Had me scared for a WEEK while I waited for the blood work he ordered to come back. For him though, he's an oncologist/hematologist, so it's "old hat" to him, and really, to me too... I had cancer (seminoma, an "easy" one) in 1991 and received radiation treatments after surgery. It was probably 6 months afterwards that I started my lupus-like symptoms, and my 1st rheumy diagnosed RA by the end of the year. The oncologist I had at that time said that the radiation may have been my "trigger" to start up the auto-immune reactions... Such a bother. 'Course, being a cancer survivor, every time the medical professionals see your history, they do order tests that might not routinely be ordered for someone who hasn't had cancer, so there is some benefit. ie, I've had MRIs or a cat scan with contrast ordered instead of just an x-ray.

Bonita
08-01-2010, 06:18 PM
congratulations on being cancer suvivors and i can see why you would worry about new things that come along. Have faith and do not get upset till you know for sure. Love and prayers Bonita

Lupine
08-02-2010, 02:35 PM
thanks jmail. Yes, in fact I have a "battery" of tests coming up. I am able to get 3 done in 1 day at clevland clinic (whew). I've had 2 episodes of a exploding headache, that is not even the word for it, followed by vomiting and sever tremor of my right side. MRI was normal except an enlarged carotid artery on right, which happens to be the side I get the tremor on and happens to be where I have a lymph node behind my ear that was bothing me this wknd and finally happens to be the side where I have a lump on my thigh the derma will check next Monday. Then I have an ultra sound on my left lower abdomen, won't even go into all of that except horrible pain and periods where i feel like I am going to faint when I go to the bathroom until it goes away. Finally, a lower GI and a upper GI which I will schedule for another day. Issues swallowing and that is where I get most of my stuff, infections in throat etc. So - I agree I'm starting to get all of theses tests for the reasons you stated. I hope that after 2 weeks I'll get all of the answers, find out its all the Lupus due to inflamation or maybe side effects of meds like plaquinel. The waiting stinks! Oh, and trying to work and fit in Oncologist, Rheumy, Derma, cardiologist - don't they know we all work LOL. Thanks for the support, its nice to know your not alone!!

jmail
08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, the ways we spend our "leisure" time anymore, I tell you... I'll be helping the hematologist with his new boat, I'm afraid, before the year's out... lolol - My pcp has handed me off to the practioner, since the pcp has apparently grown tired of taking my money, and wants to "share" me - and my wallet with the rest of the office... lolol - Anyway, the rheumy has kids getting close to college age...

You mention "exploding" headaches... did your MRI cover the skull any? How 'bout the cervical spine? Have you had an EEG brain wave study?... While getting headaches, and even vomiting from the ocassional migraine is "normal" (though alarming, they can still be a symptom of issues), stronger headaches should be checked-out thoroughly. Lupus can be (and often is) implicated in your type symptoms, but it's less stressful if you know for sure.

Like Bonita mentioned, try not to worry. Everything will be fine. The Lord can take care of you. We'll be praying for you, both for a diagnosis and for some strength and comfort. Like someone else here says: "gentle hugs"...

Angel Oliver
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I second that congratulations on being cancer survivors and i think Jmail said it all.I'll be thinking of you.

Love n gentle hugs
Amanda.xxxx

Saysusie
08-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I am also a cancer survivor with Lupus. The cancer was within the past 5 years and I've been living with Lupus since 1985. Once you've had and survived cancer, you always fear that it will crop up again somewhere else in your body and every new symptom scares the S@#t out of you.....I am told that living in that kind of fear is stressful and can cause a recurrence of cancer. But it is hard not to always have the fear in the back of your mind!!

Thank you for starting this thread :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

jmail
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Do you mind sharing the kind of cancer you had Saysusie? Have you done as much research on it as you have with lupus? It surprises me how similar the two are, really... One kills the tissue you have (lupus), the other just over-populates your tissue with bad stuff (cancer). Both are body systems gone amuck. I'm still reading (I'm a *slow* reader, sorry) "Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life", and while I don't go along with some of the conclusions and suppositions, there is no arguing with some of the data and results. Needless to say, I'll be changing my diet some more, and see if I can't improve the situation with *both* cancer & lupus... maybe. lolol - I just don't know if I can do without pizza and ice cream... lolol