PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and protein shakes, and working out

Reuben
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I have been hittng the gym everymorning for an hour,trying to get back into shape and gain my strenght back. I recently just bought some whey protein and I am just wondering if anybody thinks its a good idea for my lupus.I need expert opions.
thanks

jmail
07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm not you, but whey does me damage. I don't have allergic reactions per se, but I definitely bloat and ache from anything dairy or wheat. If it doesn't affect you that way, have at it, but be sure and "balance" things in your diet, and don't rely on just the shakes. You need some "real" stuff. Have fun at the gym.

Sarah2010
07-29-2010, 05:17 AM
Hey Ruben,
During the time i was diagnosed with lupus, i was training really hard for a few triathlons that I had coming up...I was in the gym 5 days a week lifting hard, running 2-4 miles a day, and all the while I was drinking protein shakes in the morning. I don't and won't drink a protein shake anymore though. Im fearful of having too much protein and plus I correlate my last bad flair with my training and those protein shakes. I think that in moderation it is probably ok, but you have to think about your kidneys...maybe instead of a protein powder, use a greek yogurt it has a ton of protein but isnt processed to hell... Ultimatly its your choice.....but i say dont do it :)

mountaindreamer
07-29-2010, 08:07 PM
hi ruben,

i have to agree with sarah....i can't recommend the protein shakes. I was also in the gym 6 and 7 days a week (i was a personal trainer). I used protein shakes along with my regular diet. I also had a really really bad flare, which took me out of the gym. I have not been able to work out since, and i avoid any "processed to hell" foods or supplements.

use with caution.