PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info.......

cheryl_v
07-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Hello all, not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. Here goes anyways though:

Does an immune suppresant drug slow down recovery from surgery? Had gallbladder removal surgery, 2wks ago tomorrow. Most people I know who had it done feel fine by now, I'm still sore. I feel lots better of course, but not back to normal. Ribs still hurt, puncture spots from scopes still tender.Just wondering how much longer, hoping to eat and exercise again like I used too. Granted exercise was light, but miss the stretching and bike machine.

Anyone with experience please give any info or advice you are willing to share. I really would appriciate it.

Thanks for reading.................CV

Angel Oliver
07-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi Cheryl,

You know its a big op that you had,so to be honest id think 2 weeks isnt long enough yet to be feeling like you can do the normal things.You keep resting a bit longer doing small exercises.Im sure in a few more weeks maybe you'll feel able to do more.Dont forget you have Lupus,so other people may heal faster than you.Hope you had a lovely weekend.

lots of love
Amanda.xxxxxxx

cheryl_v
07-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey Amanda.
Thanks for your reply, always there when I need someone. I have psoratic arthritis, not lupus thankfully. I take a generic form of Arava for it. Seems I have a few relatives who have had same surgery and all said 7-10 days max to be recovered. A few said same about the food intake. So was unsure whats normal and whats taking too long. So confusing, and frustrating. I want to go, but body says slow.....lol. 3 kids and the 3 in daycare here at home, plus all house work and yard and my pets. So much to do and needing to get back too it.

thanks, CV

Nonna
07-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I was down for six weeks. Any surgery has a major effect on your body. Those who say they can go right away are probably exaggerating and don't have Lupus. Don't overdo and give your body the time it says it needs. Listen to your body, not other peoples bodies.

Nonna

cheryl_v
07-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Ok, thanks Nonna.

Wish people would be straight forward with me. All help went home and been on my own with home and all the kids past few days. Hard, but guess have no choice but too manage. If was honestly told, then could have prepared for more help longer.

Thanks again...................CV

mabeljane
07-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi, Cheryl, when I had gallbladder surgery it took around 5-6 weeks before I felt I could manage normal stuff, let alone exercise!!! don't push yourself, sometimes people forget how long it really took, and it seems like a shorter time on reflection. You are doing fine, but you still need rest and some help around the house etc

Angel Oliver
07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Cheryl,

I agree with Mabeljane and Nonna,just listen to your body.I know you need to work,so just do the rest slowly.It will get done eventually.Hope you had a good day today and the children were little angels for you lol.Keep resting where you can.Everyones different,remember that.
lots of love
Amanda.xxxxx

cheryl_v
07-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks Mabeljane, glad to know it does take that long and its not me. I will do best I can to slow down and try not to expect to do much yet then.

Hey Amanda, like I just said to Mabeljane I will try to slow down. Kids are rowdy, its like they know when you need them not to be......lol. Can you believe the lil guy I have been watching since 2mths will be 1yrs old next week? Wow time flew by.

Thanks again all, you made me realize its not me. Just misinformed on recovery I guess...........................CV

Angel Oliver
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Ahhhhh Cheryl,

I remember when he was flat on your lap while we chatted,is he big now? I know kids are mind readers when it comes to that thought through our minds.....reeeeeeeeeeeessssssssstttttt then they kick off lol. I know its difficult for you as you have a busy time there.But instead of doing three things at once cut one out n sit for 5 mins,it'll help.Oh n make sure you have an hour for yourself in a bath when you can too....nice music.I have a radio in the bathroom so i lie till i wrinkle up n sing.....well i say sing lol...more like cat noise ...he he he he.
Hope today has been a good day for you and the pain is easing a little.
lots of love
Amanda.xxxxxx

cheryl_v
07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Hey Amanda

lil guy is 17lbs and a fast crawler......lol

seen the doc today, he said eat as I want and can go back to normal activities too. said just keep an eye out for any discomfort from food or activities, slow down if needed. then ease back again at my pace I am comfy with. said all are different and only I know what I can do and can't. other than that all clear and and no need to go back. scars look good and lost 9lbs too, said all good signs of being ok.

still taking it easy as best I can, I do still get tired easy. thanks for the good advice, will do work and relax like that. sounds good to me.

hugs........CV

SandyR
07-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Cheryl,

I hope you feel better soon. I think you should add at least 2 weeks to that recovery. Our bodies aren't "normal" to begin with, so why should they follow "normal" timelines for processes like healing??? Do like Angel said and do what you can when you can and if you can't do it, take a minute or two to just sit. I can remember teaching preschool with eleven 3 and 4 year olds. I know just what you mean about how busy it is, but thankfully, there are things to give us brief rests like movie time and story time and play dough time and the most fabulous one of all - NAP TIME. :) (((HUGS)))

cheryl_v
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey SandyR,

Thanks for reminding me of the ways to take breaks. So used to rushing to get my house work done during those quiet times (I run a home day-care). I think I'll just sit and have my older kids just help more.

thanks again..........CV

Angel Oliver
07-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh Cheryl thats fab news.And i bet you feel better hearing it from the doctor what everyone hear said.Hope you had a nice day and woooooooow he has grown hasnt he lol.

Lots of love
Amanda.xxxx

mountaindreamer
07-29-2010, 08:25 PM
hi cheryl,

i had the surgery in april, and was quite sore for several weeks. My ribs were sore, probably from pressure, and the incensions took a long time to heal - still have some residual marks that i am waiting to dissappear.

as far as eating normal again....i still can't. I have to be very very careful with fat intake, and the amount of food that i eat. I have to keep my meals small, or i spend several agonizing minutes in the bathroom. My dr. said to be careful and watch the digestive issues.....but, it is helping me get some of the steroid weight off, so i don't mind it too much.

Don't know if the recovery time is exaggerated by lupus or my immune suppressent medication (methotrexate), but it makes sense that the meds would slow down the healing time,