PDA

View Full Version : Getting just a little bit scared of what's next

teresaa40
07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Not sure if I should even react yet, but, I will be seeing my doctor about some things that are starting to make me worry. I've noticed I have a tendency to have things "go down the wrong tube" more and more often than I ever have before, to the point that my friends and family have started commenting on it. I didn't really want to bring it to their attention, even though I noticed it was getting so much worse. I have to really pay attention to swallowing, and even then, something as simple as drinking more than a sip or two of water and there I go again. I have a constant sensation of fluid in my throat and I have to cough every few minutes or so to clear it. Then I started noticing a mass of some kind right at the base of the notch in my throat. I have always had lumps and swollen lymph nodes, just part of my disease, and have had a benign tumor removed from my neck about 15 years ago, but, this is making me wonder. I also have mitral valve prolapse, and haven't had my yearly echocardiogram for, oh, about 6 years, so, that makes me wonder, too. I did some research online, of course, and found some references to tracheal cancer and to mitral stenosis, the latter of which seems more plausible, but, who can say for sure without tests, which I am not really excited about. The echo will be a no brainer, and kind of cool to see my heart working away, but, any tests on my throat sound painful and uncomfortable.

Im starting to fear the reality of either a worsening heart valve or cancer in my throat. I haven't said it out loud to anyone, and I just don't want to worry my husband and kids if it ends up being absolutely nothing, but, I just had to tell someone.

jmail
07-20-2010, 08:43 PM
There are several "simple" reasons for difficulty swallowing. I know it's not easy staying on the "simple" side and not worrying, but we'll be rooting for you on the sidelines here. I do similar with the difficulty swallowing and I'll also frequently "choke", even on my own saliva... I usually try to joke about "I'm inhaling when I should be swallowing!" or some such (after I get finished coughing up my lung, of course). Lupus can mess with the muscles & the nerves that control the muscles, plus if your thyroid has been attacked, that can also cause the sensation, as can other autoimmune stuff. Try not to fret too much over it. We'll be praying for you.

Bonita
07-21-2010, 06:29 AM
I understand your concern and worry but not knowing will not make these things go away. My husband had biospys on his throat because of lumps on his thyroid and i watched as the doctor stuck 9 needles in his throat and drew out samples and he did not even flinch. They were begin for cancer but have to be followed up regularly. Did they ever check you for mystenia gravis because that can cause muscle weakness even in the throat. Hope you get some answers soon. Bonita

SandyR
07-21-2010, 07:13 AM
have you had your thyroid tested? (CT, ultrasound, full bw, biopsy?) I had a lump that was causing me difficuly swallowing that turned out to be a benign cyst that required no attention. Try not to focus on the most negative of all the what ifs. Like jmail said, it might be something very simple.

tgal
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I understand that having answers is much better than wondering what is going on! Good luck