PDA

View Full Version : I'm so glad classes have started again!

magistramarla
07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Jeff just started the new quarter of classes, and I am so glad to have my days to myself again! It's just like when I sent the kids back to school in the fall!
I have thoroughly enjoyed being with him 24/7 for the past three weeks, but last week was very boring. We got back from Greece and he had a lot of reading and studying to do.
Yesterday, when he went off to class, I literally told the cats - "The TV is all mine - mine for a change!"
I settled in to watch Paula Deen on the Food Network, and Meg called. Once she got off the phone, I settled in to watch Giada, but then the newspaper called. After convincing them that I didn't want to increase my subscription, I was wandering to the restroom during a commercial break, when Kayla called and talked for nearly an hour.
Right after we hung up, the vet called, checking up on Dax and his bad cold.
By that time, The Barefoot Contessa was on, but it was an episode that I had seen three times.

I just can't win. This morning, we had a short power outage, so of course, it affected Direct TV. All I get from the TV is a NO SIGNAL message.
One of these days, my life will get back to normal!
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
07-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Glad you got the remote back, but sorry to hear it was a day of interruptions! Hopefully, today was a better day and you were able to veg in peace and quiet.......

jmail
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM
What, after all, is "normal"?... Sorry 'bout the sitch with the telly, magistramarla, but like BonusMom says, at least you have control over the remote control... Now use that caller ID thingie, and let the answering machine pick-up so you can watch some shows!... lol

Nonna
07-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Poor Marla,
it will get better. Atleast you can watch the Food Channel. We had to give up our D-TV. I'm limited to my movies now. Any suggestions on interesting movies?

I can't wait for the grandkids to go back to school. No fun getting up to go to work when everyone else is sleeping.
Enjoy Life,
nonna

SandyR
07-09-2010, 06:30 AM
if your direct tv isn't working today - sounds like a movie day!

magistramarla
07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Sandy,
Obviously, you don't live with an engineer. I wouldn't have been able to get the DVD player to work, or to get a picture on the TV. He has our entertainment system set up in such a complicated manner, if one part of it fails, then the rest of it won't work, either. The Direct TV is pumped through the DVR that came with it, but it is also connected to the Wi-Fi router (so that he can download movies, both to the DVR and to his computer). There are also connections to a VCR and TWO DVD players (he does interesting editing and dubbing). The stereo system is also connected, so that the sound from the TV or CDs or the radio can be pumped to several speakers placed all over the living area of the house. I must admit that this helps with my hearing problems. There is a speaker in the kitchen and one next to my favorite seat on the couch. I can control the volume on both of these, which also comes in handy when I DON'T want to listen to what he's watching while I'm cooking - I just turn that speaker off.
I've had to put up with this kind of electronic wizardry for so many years, I'm used to it. It used to be worse. Our son is also a computer wizard. He had his room in the house in Texas so wired, both the housekeeper and me were afraid to go in there. That's the way Tom liked it, too!
Oh well, we all have something that we have to put up with in life. For me, it's computer nerds!
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
07-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Nonna,
As I remember, you're another sci-fi fan. Have you seen Avatar? It's available on DVD now, and it is a fantastic film. Also, the new Star Trek movie has been out for a while. I could watch it a thousand times, I love it so much.
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
07-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Marla I'm watching STar Trek right now. Chekov Is doing his weeter weeter. Blowing up Vulcan. That's like killing Kirk. This Trekkie's in heaven.
Haven't seen avatar yet. Watched a star wars marathon today.

My ex was the same way with our equipment, tv stereo everything tied together.

GoodLuck
nonna

magistramarla
07-10-2010, 06:51 PM
The next Star Trek movie is due out in 2011 - can't wait!
I watched the last one at the IMAX. It was my Mother's Day present, and then they took me out to an Italian restaurant. I was in heaven!
Aren't we nerds???
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
07-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm jealous!!!!! Tee Heee. Maybe I'll ask for that for my birthday next year

nonna