PDA

View Full Version : Summer Class

ritzbit
07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Im going into my senior year and had the chance to take a free college class this summer so Im taking a general biology class. The first class was last night and I love it. And I love my professor. He is doing research right now at the Childrens Hospital that I go to about the immune system. The Rheumatology department there is funding his research. I just thought that was very interesting and he was talking to me about it and I explained to him that Im a patient there and that I lupus. I think Im really going to enjoy the class =)

Nonna
07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Sounds fantastic. I think I'd enjoy sitting in on that class.

Nonna

magistramarla
07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Good for you, Ritzbit!
This sounds like a great class for you, and a great introduction to college classes.
Enjoy learning!
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I am such a biology NERD lol I love it so far. We got to look at these little things under microscopes and I was the only one who seemed very excited about it lol They were still moving around and stuff and in my 10th grade bio class we looked at dead cells and stuff. So it was much more exciting looking at living things =) Its a very vigorous 5 week class, so I hope I can keep up with it.

jmail
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Oooh! A potential future microbiologist! Do you like chemistry?... math?... mysteries?... investigation?... lol
Sorry, looking for a cure here...

Good luck, and have fun with it!

magistramarla
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
My oldest daughter was a biology nerd at your age - really anything math or science. Today, she has a PHD in neurobiology and is studying how the brain processes eye-hand coordination at NYU.
Aim high, Ritzebit - you can do it, too!
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I want to be a rheumy... xD And everyone who knows is trying to help me. My doctor is finding me ways to get scholarship money! Its my last year soo I'll be applying to colleges in a few months, which is freaky.

jmail
07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
College is still cool to me, even after going off and on for over 30 years. There's so many things to learn, and other than the reqs for a class, away you go!

magistramarla
07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Get those applications in early and apply for all of the scholarships that you can find.
Check your messages - I'm sending you a PM with Heather's e-mail address at NYU.
Best of luck to you!
Hugs,
Marla

rob
07-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Im going into my senior year and had the chance to take a free college class this summer so Im taking a general biology class. The first class was last night and I love it. And I love my professor. He is doing research right now at the Childrens Hospital that I go to about the immune system. The Rheumatology department there is funding his research. I just thought that was very interesting and he was talking to me about it and I explained to him that Im a patient there and that I lupus. I think Im really going to enjoy the class =)

That's great Ritzbit. I think you'll find college courses are far more interesting and challenging than high school level classes. Having a genuine interest in the subject as well as having a good professor can actually make classes fun, and something you look forward to. For me, I found high school to be a boring pain in the butt. College, on the other hand, was the complete opposite.

And good for you for taking advantage of a free course that will give you a head start out of the gate. A very smart move.

Rob

SandyR
07-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Great news Ritzbit! You are really doing a smart thing by jumping on this opportunity. Congrats! I don't think you will have to worry about the pace so much since the professor knows your limitations better than any professor you might have dreamed up. College was such a great experience for me. I wish you the best of luck!

ritzbit
07-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Im really enjoying it. We already have a test over 4 chapters this week already lol we're doing a chapter a day. I get really bored in my regular classes where we go over things over and over again after I got it on the second day, even in the advanced classes. So I actually like it going a lot faster lol

Linda From Australia
07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Ritzbit, why don't you think about writing a blog about what you have learnt. It helped me when I was studying to write out summaries of what I have learnt in each chapter. That way we can encourage you to keep going and also celebrate in your success.

Hunniebun
07-10-2010, 11:29 AM
That's awesome Ritz, Biology was my favourite class in highschool, its so amazing how much you can learn! You'll do just fine in this class, keep it up! (:

scubagramplit
07-10-2010, 01:52 PM
way to go ritz, keep up the good work.

Bonita
07-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I to always found biology and science very interesting. Good luck with college and i hope you get many scholarships. Bonita

ritzbit
07-11-2010, 12:37 PM
26442645264626472648Thanks everyone =) I've had the absolute best week. This class and my family and my boyfriend and everything! =) My bf got me a kitten yesterday and today my grandparents bought me my first car. Life is good =)

magistramarla
07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Kitties and cars!! Those have been two of my favorite things ever since I was your age.
Does your baby have blue eyes? He looks like he could be a flame-point Siamese. That's what my Casper is, and he is one of the most loving cats I have ever met.
Take good care of your baby, and be careful in your new car.
Hugs and congrats,
Marla

SandyR
07-12-2010, 06:56 AM
sounds like life is great! congratulations on the cat and the car. what is the cat's name?

ritzbit
07-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Her names Ivory =) And yes she does have blue eyes! I love them I think they're soo pretty. My bf is getting an apartment in a few weeks so for now we're hiding her at his grandparents lol

mountaindreamer
07-13-2010, 06:41 PM
hi ritz,

how wonderful it is to read about all of the positive things happening in your life. WOW, it is fantastic that you have run accross this college professor. this could be the start of something very positive for your future. A kitty, a car, best friends, family, boyfriend.....you have worked very hard to overcome very serious obstacles, and now, good things are coming your way....keep up the awesome work.

rob
07-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Like Marla, cats and cars are two of my favorite things. You've come a long way Ritzbit, and it's good to see. Keep up the good work young lady!

Rob

ritzbit
07-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I was so nervous for my first test in this class. And studied for 2 days. And got 102 lol I love biology. We got to look at cells and tissues last night and I was the last one to leave lol Its my favorite thing about the class.

SandyR
07-14-2010, 11:56 AM
It's wonderful that you are embracing what you love and loving what you are good at. Enjoy! And Pearl (I hope I remember that right) is precious. Can't wait to see more pics of her.

magistramarla
07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Way to go, Ritzbit
That should really impress your professor. I'll bet you're blowing the curve for the older college students! Just keep right on doing it, though. That's the way to succeed.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
My lab partner didnt show up last night so I sat with this other table and was called "smart girl" all night lol