PDA

View Full Version : Is my rheumy a quack? I need your opinion.

debbie-b
06-18-2010, 05:49 AM
I have seen my new rheumy for the 4 th time last tuesday, since november.
I feel like he is solely believing in vitamins and minerals, for a cure all.
Here are some of my bloodtest results.

Vitamin C- normal is 0.20-1.90 mine is 0.85, he told me to take 3000 mg. ?????????????
Magnesium- normal 1.3-2.1 mine is 1.8 , he told me to take 250 mg. ????????????
B-12- normal 211-911, mine is 220, he gave me a B-12 shot.
Vitamin D normal 30-100 mine was 5, taking 4000 mg a day, is now at 45.
Platelet count normal is 130-400, mine is 112, he said nothing about that.

He told me, taking Vit. C would stop my bruising, well that didn't happen. Why? Because it was never low, to begin with.
He now tells me to take Magnesium, to stop my brain fog and the dizzyness. Why should I take it? My level is perfect.
He gave me the B-12 shot and said I would have so much energy, that I didn't know what to do with. That didn't happen.
He told me to take the Vit. D and once my levels are in the normal range, I would have less pain and more energy. It's not happening.
But he brushed off my concern about the low platelet count.

He knows and believes, that I have lupus, but is convinced, that vitamins and minerals will take care of all the symptoms.
That just makes me think he is a quack, my levels are now in the normal range, but I feel no difference. And the other levels, like the Magnesium are in the perfect range, why does he want me
to take it?
What do you think my friends?

Debbie

Hillbillie
06-20-2010, 08:35 PM
That'd be wonderful if the cure was as easy as all that. I don't want to say anything about anyone being a quack but my advice is to find a Rheumy that will listen to you and explain what he is giving you and why. In my opinion the best health care is one where you and the doctor have good communication. It did take several visits with my Rheumy to get the right meds figured out. I lucked out and got a young doctor that is willing to listen to me, answer my questions and tell me what he is going to try and why he thinks it will work. Find someone that will work with you. It took my regular doctor, me and the Rheumy to get everything worked out right for me. I sure hope you can find somone to help you. it has to be frustrating to keep trying and not gettng any better. BJ

debbie-b
06-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Thank you Hillbillie for answering.
He is a new rheumy, since november and I thought he was really good, because at every visit, he spends about an hour with me. But at the last visit, I figured out, that he is doing 90% of the talking.

I have told him about the excrutiating pain,I had in my leg, for three weeks and his answer is, take this or that vitamin.
When I told him, my back and neck are in pain daily and I can barely function or even work, his answer is VITAMINS.
That really concerns me. I mean if my vitamin levels were low and after the vitamins things were getting better, that's ok, but that is not the case.
All my levels are perfekt now and I have no relieve, in fact, because of him not dealing with the real issue, my pain is getting worse.
Boy, I hope, I don't have to dearch for a new rheumy again.
Thanks for listening.

Debbie

rob
06-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Hi Debbie,

I'll just be up front and say that this rheumo is a Quack. Vitamins and minerals are important things that help keep our various bodily systems working efficiently, but vitamins alone CANNOT treat Lupus. It sounds like your rheumo is on the homeopathic bandwagon. There is absolutley no clinical trial evidence to support vitamins being an effective treatment for Lupus, or any other autoimmune disorder. I would find a new rheumo ASAP.

Rob

Dar
06-21-2010, 10:59 AM
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

Seriously, maybe there's some info I'm missing out on like that you have malabsorption problems, that you have had B12 deficiency problems that require shots, and maybe he has you on proper medication(s) as well and other important things that you haven't mentioned.

But excluding that, I agree with the others. I think he's wasting your time.

debbie-b
06-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys,

He does have me on Plaquenil and Mobic, but I am still in alot of pain.
And these vitamins are an answer for everything in his mind.
He gave me that Vitamin B-12 shot, even though my levels were normal.
Well, I have made up my mind, thanks to you Rob, that I will search for ANOTHER new rheumy.
I am so sick of this.
I am a firm believer in vitamins too, but it will not help my pain, especially if the levels are normal to
begin with.
About three months starting the Plaq, I did feel better, but only for about three months, I am now in
alot of pain, for about 6 weeks.
At least my family doctor gave me some muscle relaxers, which didn't help either, but he tried.
I do have to say, the rheumy wanted to give me painpills. I don't really want those. I still have a
whole prescription of hydrocodone in my cabinet, they make me feel really bad.
He also dismisses my brain fog, saying it all comes from low Magnesium, but mine is NORMAL.
He does not believe brain fog comes with Lupus.

Well I will look for a new rheumy, cross your fingers.

Debbie

Saysusie
06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I have to agree with Rob, this doctor apparently knows little to nothing about Lupus. How did he get to be a rheumatologist???? Uggh, incompetent doctors are my absolute pet peeve!!

You know more about Lupus and its treatments than he does. You might tell him that you are not taking any more of his vitamins and that you want him to start prescribing you the medications that are the general regimen for Lupus sufferers and particularly for your individual symptoms. If he is unwilling to do this, then find a rheumatologist who is learned in auto-immune diseases in general, and Lupus specifically!

I wish you the very best
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

debbie-b
06-23-2010, 05:08 AM
I have to agree with Rob, this doctor apparently knows little to nothing about Lupus. How did he get to be a rheumatologist???? Uggh, incompetent doctors are my absolute pet peeve!!

You know more about Lupus and its treatments than he does. You might tell him that you are not taking any more of his vitamins and that you want him to start prescribing you the medications that are the general regimen for Lupus sufferers and particularly for your individual symptoms. If he is unwilling to do this, then find a rheumatologist who is learned in auto-immune diseases in general, and Lupus specifically!

I wish you the very best
Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Hi Saysusie,
I have to answer with quote, brain fog, ugh.
I have told him last time that I am tired of stuffing myself with all these vitamins, without having
any benefits from it. I could tell that he didn't like it. Well first of all it's alot of pills and secondly
it's expensive. That would be ok, if I would feel any better.
My mind is made up, I will search for a new rheumy.

Debbie

Saysusie
06-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Aaah..our dear friend "Brain Fog"...no need to explain (lol).
Good for you and stick to your guns!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Angel Oliver
06-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Debbie,

I wonder if your quack is the same one i see :) Dont you just want to shake em till they hear you! So frustrating.Im going through allot of the same.I know its time to find a new one,but the thought of starting again makes me quiver.So i hope you change yours as he doesnt sound too good at all.Thinking of you.
love
Amanda.xxxxxxxx

debbie-b
06-25-2010, 05:33 AM
From what I have read here, there are alot of these quacks out there, all over the world.
I just want these jerks to walk in our shoes for a while, they would change their minds very quickly.
But from now on ,I look at it this way, these Drs are working for us, if he can't perform
he will get FIRED.
I am sick of being looked at, like I am an idiot, know nothing and have to jump through his hoops.
From now on, he is going to jump through mine, or else.
Now I am all fired up. I am in so much pain and he doesn't give a damn.
" Here take this vitamin and call me in the morning," is not going to fly.

Debbie

Thank you for everybodies input.

rob
06-25-2010, 06:34 AM
From what I have read here, there are alot of these quacks out there, all over the world.
I just want these jerks to walk in our shoes for a while, they would change their minds very quickly.
But from now on ,I look at it this way, these Drs are working for us, if he can't perform
he will get FIRED.
I am sick of being looked at, like I am an idiot, know nothing and have to jump through his hoops.
From now on, he is going to jump through mine, or else.
Now I am all fired up. I am in so much pain and he doesn't give a damn.
" Here take this vitamin and call me in the morning," is not going to fly.

Debbie

Thank you for everybodies input.

Debbie,

As my Drill Sgt. once told me way back when I graduated from basic training-

"Private, you are definitley born again hard."

I think this saying definitley applies to you now. You stick to your guns!

Carry on.

Rob

Angel Oliver
06-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Let us know how you get on.

Love
Amanda.xxxxxxx

Hunniebun
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Throw bread on the ground and see what happens.

Definitely sounds like a quack, I hope you can fnd another one soon that's a lot better.

debbie-b
06-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Throw bread on the ground and see what happens.

Definitely sounds like a quack, I hope you can fnd another one soon that's a lot better.

I just raed this for the second time and now I have GOT IT. LOL

Debbie

PS I am busy putting the bread crumbs down.

ricketyrose
07-05-2010, 11:55 AM
your doctor is a good one if he is risking his liability to tell you that you need vitamins instead of following prescription protocol just to hide behind the drug companies protection. he is correct in doing so. magnesium will not show deficient in a serum test it has to be a loading test but you can be safe to assume that if you have lupus, you need magnesium. these diseases are caused by an imbalance in electrlytes and the hormones that move them throughout your body
vitamin D is one of these hormones and cortisol is another (cortisol is natural prednisone). YOU DO NOT HAVE CONTROL OF YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IF YOU DONT HAVE CONTROL OF YOUR ELECTROLYTES.
everywhere we go on the face of this earth we have our immune systems and our electrlytes to regulate our pH balence and ensure that we can absorb the stresses of our envirment and environmental changes we undergo. IT is a bold faced lie to say that the only thing involved is our immune system and the place it attacks. these diseases are PAN systemic. BTW collegen and elastin need vitamin C for synthesis.

cortisol is one of the hormones that cotrol the movement of potassium out of the cell and sodium in. becoming potassium deficient (hypokalemia) is inevitable in these hormonal imbalences then a magnesium deficiency will follow and secondary hyperparathyroidism occurs along with vitamin D intolerance. you cannot correct hypokalemia with out magnesium. but with out hormones to contol all of this and by now your cortisol deficiency has reverberated to other hormones, you will hyper correct this and swing to the opposite grade. your body will occilate and wax and wane. you will start to feel every environmental stress because now you are like a car without shocks feeling every bump in the road. even the emotional stress of others will be felt by you and you will start to avoid things because you instinctively know the effects on you body

so yes nutrition is absolutey important. so take some vitamin K for those low platlets cuz vitamin K is named after the germen word "KOAGULATION" we make platelets with K and we make K with the intestinal flora so you are low on bifidus and acidophilis.

Moderator warning-
Do not derail threads. Please stay on topic.

debbie-b
07-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Ricketyrose,

I do understand, how important vitamins and minerals are.
But that the doctor claims, that taking all these vit and min., will take all my pain away, is pretty
ignorant of him, especially when all my levels are normal at this time.
And believe me, I have tried everything he told me, but my pain is the same.
You can't fix everything with vitamins.

Debbie

ricketyrose
07-10-2010, 10:36 AM
sorry mr moderator but it is quite relevent to what she was asking that remission can and has been acheived through vitamin therapy and her doctor is not a quack. I have acheived remission through vitamins. her doctor is right. however if any of us would rather trust pfizer and merck to cure us then know that is it way too profitable to keep us sick.

Hunniebun
07-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Just because it can and has been achieved and may have worked for you does not mean its going to work for everyone. Glad it worked for you but it's not working for Debbie and it's also a route that won't work for me either, so she has every right to find another doctor. I would think it would also depend on the severity of the condition too, since not all of us are the same there either, infact I can't even go off the drugs I am on because I will get worse and I know its true because I've already been there.
The fact is he is not listening to her and keep's pushing her down a road that is doing nothing for her, so in her eye's, YES he IS a quack, these people are supposed to listen to us and help us and only WE know how we feel, nobody can tell us otherwise, plus her levels are normal, and she's STILL in pain, so has she achieved remission? No, does she want to keep suffering? No. I'm sure there are a lot of drug companies who enjoy making a huge profit off certain drugs, but back in the day people were DYING from this disease, so...I just don't believe that just vitamins can simply save everyone.

rob
07-10-2010, 12:31 PM
sorry mr moderator but it is quite relevent to what she was asking that remission can and has been acheived through vitamin therapy and her doctor is not a quack. I have acheived remission through vitamins. her doctor is right. however if any of us would rather trust pfizer and merck to cure us then know that is it way too profitable to keep us sick.

Conspiracy theories about drug manufacturers is not what this thread is about. If you wish to discuss such things, you are free to start your own thread in the appropriate forum.

Rob

wrightrs
07-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Mines a quack too !!! I keep right on going thinking things will get better they never do.

jmail
07-11-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm fortunate in that I've got a good pcp & a good rheumy both, plus I'm working with a hematologist and a neurologist that seem to be pretty good, too. It helps that my health insurance allows me leeway in choosing doctors. Both my pcp & the rheumy use all aspects of medical therapy, from nutrition to PT to drugs, including dietary supplements & vitamins. They even stress the importance of good dental hygiene in helping to reduce inflamation. Every little bit helps in that regard. A doc of any ilk should use the patients' POV and be able to put together test results and symptoms from examination with the patient's interviews, and come up with treatment that helps. If they don't, it seems to me that it's time to change docs...