PDA

View Full Version : Do Light bulbs bother anyone?

Hillbillie
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I have been trying to do my "green" American bit and bought those Compact Floresent lights to replace the regular ones. I do notice in the evenings when I sit under the lights my face turns red. I was wondering if this is due to the bulbs. The wattage is lower so I assumed it would be better. Anyone have any ideas?

the wingless one
06-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I definitely have issues with fluorescent lights - if my understanding is correct they give off UV rays which are a no-no for people with lupus. I had to ask them to remove the fluorescent light directly above my seat at work and I can't stay very long inside stores that have the exposed fluorescent lights. I think there are certin fluorescent bulbs that are supposed to minimize the amount of UV they give off but they probably cost more...If you're having a reaction I would definitely remove the ones you got asap! Being green is important, but not at the cost of a flare =)

Saysusie
06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Ooooh, I wish you had come to us before you purchased the fluorescent lights. Lupus patients are advised to avoid this type of lighting as it can cause a flare-up and/or skin reactions (as has happened to you). So, in this area, we are not able to go green :-(

Avoid fluorescent lights as well as sunlight (UV/UVA rays). Also, wear sunscreen (minimum SPF of 35) indoors and out. If you did not discard your old bulbs, I would suggest that you put them back in!
Sorry :-{

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

bunnie
06-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Hillbillie! Love the name... :)
I notice when I have been around flourescents too. I have regular bulbs at home, but I have heard of "sleeves" that you can purchase to cover your cfl bulbs so that they do not give off uv rays. Maybe that would be a good option...
Best of luck!

wrightrs
06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I was having rashes this winter. The doctor ask me if I been in the sun. But since it was cold I hadn't. So the only two things I could think of was, the blinds not closing good in my bedroom or the florescent bulbs my husbands putting everywhere.

MicRoMediC
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
My face turns red and I feel flush if I'm in the light too long and the sun really at all. It happens quick and people look at me crazy. It's cool, join the club. JK. I like to turn the big lights off and have small lamps all around, they're the energy efficient too but at least there are lamp shades. Just a suggestion.
Micromedic

Hillbillie
06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know why I hadn't thought of that earilier. I had the light directly behind my head shining down on me... no wonder my face turned red! I did see one place you could get plexiglass and it would help. Maybe I'll try that or try and find the uv sleeves. I love the amount of light for the wattage, I heard that the standard bulbs were going to be phased out so I better get to work and find something that will filter it or keep the sunscreen on 24/7. I think I'll hunt some table lamps and at the very least get rid of this floor lamp that sits behind my head. I have been staying out of the sun but bought the lights so I'd have the same "rays" inside... go figure... Live and Learn I reckon. Thank so much!

Hillbillie
06-16-2010, 09:32 PM
My name is Billie... I was born in eastern Ky Mountains transplanted to NC foothills so really I'm qualifed to be a hillbillie!
I love your quote! Thanks for you suggestion, I will have to try and find some sleeves. Thanks so much for your reply