PDA

View Full Version : Nephritis & DS DNA?

red246
06-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Just wondering....I have read different opinions on this subject - that positive DS DNA usually means that your kidneys are affected/lupus is more serious. Any thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

Saysusie
06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
the answer to your question is yes with some provisos. The anti-DNA test is one of several blood tests that specifically detect individual types of autoantibodies, many that are specific to people with lupus. Not that not all people with lupus have the same antibodies. These antibodies include anti-DNA antibodies, which attack a personís DNA.These antibodies usually indicate active lupus.

Anti DsDNA antibodies are deposited in the kidneys. While these antibodies are not specific for Lupus Nephritis, the majority of patients with lupus nephritis do have positive anti-double stranded DNA antibody (anti-DNA) and rising anti-DNA titers accompanied by hypocomplementemia, most especially decreasing C3. Occasionally lupus patients who are genuinely anti-DNA negative will develop clinically significant nephritis. This may occur because of antigen excess and inability to detect anti-DNA which is deposited in the kidney.

Many Lupus patients have positive DsDna without kidney disease. However, almost all lupus patients with kidney disease do have positive DsDna.

I hope that I have not confused you further, please let me know if you need any more information.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie