PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and chicken pox

Morpheus
06-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi Guys,
how is everyone doing?
Quick update:
Ive been doing incredibly well of late, in remission, and feeling healthy :)

I have one concern, two of my colleagues has been diagnosed with chicken pox, one after the other.
Ive had chcikenpox as a child, Am I in any real danger ?
Can I get chickenpox again?

Sounds paranoid,I know, but one can never be too carefull right? :)

SandyR
06-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi Morpheus,
Chicken pox is a form of the Herpes Virus. Those of us that have been exposed to the virus in the form of chicken pox as a child usually will not develop it again. HOWEVER, there are some who do get a 2nd case later. There are also some people, like me, who can develop another form of the virus called Shingles (sometimes called adult chicken pox). You can find out a lot about these if you do a simple google search. I know when someone in my environment is sick with chicken pox, I take more care to stay clear until they are better on my doctor's advice. In fact, I do that with any viruses since I know I am extremely prone to "catching" things. Having AI problems does make us at a higher risk than those who don't have AI problems, but only you and your doctor can really say how much higher your risk is from your experiences. BTW, I don't think you sound paranoid at all, but I am also the person who wipes down her work stations (I have 2) every day with lysol wipes. Phones, computer mouse, keyboards, handles, etc. I feel that I can never be too careful too.
Sandy

froggal
06-10-2010, 06:54 AM
I have heard this question answered both ways. I have heard that you cannot get them again, but I have also heard that you can get them more than once. I know that I had shingles a few years back and the doc said it was a form of the chicken pox virus. It would be interesting to find a straight answer!!!

debbie-b
06-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I too had chickenpox as a child and had shingles about a year ago. They are both from the same family. I had non rash shingles, which are just as painful, as the shingles with rash.
My doc told me that I must have been exposed to chickenpox, in order to get shingles.
So be careful and use alot of sanitizer.

Debbie

magistramarla
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
My hubby and my grandson can tell you - you CAN get them twice.
My husband had a fairly mild case as a baby, according to his Mom. When our two oldest kids had it, he was under stress, taking final exams, and he broke out with a good case of chicken pox.
My grandson also had a mild case as a baby. My daughter took him to the doc as soon as he got sick, and he was given a shot to make it milder - bad mistake, as far as I'm concerned. Sure enough, when kids in his 4th grade class started getting it last spring, he came down with a doozy of a case of chicken pox.
So, now Jeff and David can commiserate as the two guys in the family who have had it twice.
Hugs,
Marla

Bonita
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I also heard that you can get them ywice. I had them as a child and the past 10 years i have outbreaks of the herpes viruse on my eyelids and it caused me to have scar tissue in the tear duct in my right eye and to have a replacement of this with a glass tube known as a jones tube, now in the last year these show up on the nostril inside and when this happens i go into a flare. They also told me i could develope shingles at any time with these outbreaks. Yummie something else to look forward to. Hope you do not get this. Bonita