PDA

View Full Version : Not a bad day...

rob
06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and support during my latest flare, which is thankfully now over.

I had something really cool happen yesterday. As some of you know, I fly radio control aircraft as a hobby. Last summer I was at an abandoned airstrip where many of the local R/C aircraft enthusiasts go to fly. I noticed deep in the woods a shiny object, so I went to see what it was. I turned out to be a recently crashed plane that got away from someone, and they were not able to find it. The airframe sustained significant damage, but it had a brand new and very expensive engine that was undamaged and in perfect condition.

I took the model home, drained the gas tank and pulled the onboard battery which was dead, and found the the electronics were undamaged and perfectly servicable. I put fresh fuel in it and fired it up, and what do you know, the engine ran perfectly. So, I started my mission to find who the model belonged to, and get it back to them so they could use the $400 engine and $150 radio control system in another plane.

I put up a found notice at the hobby shop, and talked to all the R/C clubs to see if I could find the owner. Well after a year of searching, I overheard an elderly fellow at the hobby shop talking about a plane he had lost, and how he wished he could have it back. I asked him what sort of plane it was, and bingo, he describes it to a tee right down to the frequency of the radio control system. The owner of the plane and his wife came over yesterday and picked up his long lost plane. As it turns out, he is building a replacement for the plane, and was about to buy an engine and radio system for it. Needless to say, he was one happy camper!

He's going to call me when the new plane is ready for it's maiden flight, and we're going to meet at the airstrip to do some flying for a day.

Anyway, I'm just happy that I was able to make someone's day, and that I was in the right place at the right time to finally locate the owner. It made my day as well.

Rob

PS-Wow, I just realized that I have made my 2000th post here, and have been promoted to King Kong! Cool.

Hunniebun
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Wow Rob that's really cool! You're lucky you have the guts to fly, I am so scared of heights that getting on a jumbo jet to fly to another province is almost too much for me, I prefer to not look out the window.
That's crazy how you found a crashed plane, that's really interesting and even after a whole year that owner was still searching for it.

lol I kinda liked it better when it said you were a supermoderator emperor of the galaxy, it was a really funny name. Congrats on your 2000th post King Kong.

edit: oops, did it used to say that? Or am I mistaking it with saysusies haha

rob
06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow Rob that's really cool! You're lucky you have the guts to fly, I am so scared of heights that getting on a jumbo jet to fly to another province is almost too much for me, I prefer to not look out the window.
That's crazy how you found a crashed plane, that's really interesting and even after a whole year that owner was still searching for it.

lol I kinda liked it better when it said you were a supermoderator emperor of the galaxy, it was a really funny name. Congrats on your 2000th post King Kong.

edit: oops, did it used to say that? Or am I mistaking it with saysusies haha

Oops, I guess I didn't make it clear that the flying I do is with radio control models, not the real thing! Sorry bout that. Actually, I do have my private pilots license, but I stopped flying the real thing years ago due to brainfog. As foggy as I am, I figured I'd probably get up there and forget how to land the plane or something! I took up flying model planes as a substitute, and found them to be more of a challenge than the real thing.

Saysusie
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Rob;
That story speaks so much to who you are as a person! One of the reasons why you are so admired. the fact that you find joy in doing good and making someone else happy speaks volumes about you!
How lucky he was that the person who found his plane was someone who knew its value, knew how to salvage it and took the time to search for the owner. I am sure that he was very grateful :-)

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Hunniebun
06-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Whoops, I must have read your post wrong. Either way it's still a really cool and interesting thing to do, I wish I had a cool hobby...haha.

Bonita
06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I commend you on being and honset and caring person and i am glad that you are feeling better. Love Bonita

SandyR
06-10-2010, 06:34 AM
I think that is wonderful! You are awesome and I am sure that guy was thrilled that you were able to help him out and that you held out hope that the owner would come forward. Kudos to you, Rob!

froggal
06-10-2010, 06:47 AM
One of the things I love most about you Rob, is that you always find such awesome positive things to say. Even after you have had an awful flare!!!

Angel Oliver
06-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh Rob,

Or should i say KING KONG, so glad you are feeling a little better and what a fantastic story.Well done for making his day and enjoy the flight when you both meet up!!

love n hugs Amanda.

P.s Nice to see you Froggal.xxxx