PDA

View Full Version : Hip Bursitis

Hunniebun
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Saw doc yesterday, found out I have Hip Bursitis, and the crappy part about it is he says it probably won't go away due to my illness. Had hip pain before, deeper in the groin area and had both my hips x-rayed and had injections to help with the pain. Now I have even more severe pain, swelling, popping, sliding you name it, on the bursa on the left side. I'm going in for another injection this afternoon right on that area to take down the swelling and some pain, but it sure is painful my GOSH. Stairs are beginning to be a real challenge for me as well as just standing up and even just walking. Ugh it will never end will it. Thankfully the deeper hip pain doesn't bother me as much anymore, but I swear that this bursa swelling is excrutiating, whenever it pops I swear to God it feels like I have dislocated my leg, the pain makes me dizzy and want to vomit. It's a burning, stabbing type of pain. Not much can be done besides continuing to fill myself with medication, ice the area, get a lot of rest, avoid too much physical activity, and continue with physical therapy, which I am no longer covered for because the government has changed it! Insane how a sick person has to PAY. I can understand temporarily hurt people needing to pay, but lifelong illnesses? NO WAY! I'm fricken 23 years old and I have the body of a senior, what am I supposed to do? BAH.
This type of thing normally heals for regular people, but it frustrates the hell out of me that it won't for me.
Anyone else deal with this?

Saysusie
06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I've never dealt with your issue, but I find it hard to believe that there is no hope of it healing (or at least getting better) because of your Lupus. Many of us have had other issues (not lupus related) that have gotten better in spite of our disease.
I would say for you to not give up on the possibility that this issue can get better. Perhaps even get a second opinion before you settle into a lifelong prognosis.
I do hope that there is a way that you can relieve some of the symptoms of this issue in spite of your Lupus!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Hunniebun
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah I guess its hard to believe, I've just had the pain for months and months and it comes and goes, it never actually goes away permanently. I always feel it when I walk no matter what, even if its not as swollen as it usually is, I have been limping ever since it first started causing me problems, as well as my other hip pain. Only yesterday I was finally told what this type was. I don't want to give up it is just another thing that frustrates me. My sister keeps saying she wants me to see her doctor for a second opinion, all she needs to do is make the appointment for me so I can actually get in there to see him! Just waiting for her.
I hope there is a way too, and I wish the answer to everything wasn't always popping pills! I've started going swimming once and week and it's helped me feel better all over my body instead of just in specific area's so I am definitely going to keep that up regardless.

Mommyof1
06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey there. Just thought Id tell ya I had a rheumy appt prob about 6 months ago and was told I had some shoulder bursitis in my right shoulder. She said she could hear/feel some crackle in there. What's strange is although I could feel that I didn't have much more than some burning pain at times with it. Since the pregnancy she hasn't really messed with my joints etc so Im not sure if I still have it. I still have some burning pain at times but I also get that with my rashes which occur on my arms and face as well as my chest and I get neuropathy burning pain in my shoulders and arms and back of my neck among other places. So I guess what I was wondering is do you always have to have the severe pain for it to be treated? I didn't have any treatment for it but was just curious. Hope you get feeling better! *hugs* -Brittanee

froggal
06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
What an awful thing to have to deal with. Hang in there and remember that we are here!!!

Hunniebun
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys,

I am not sure if you always have to have severe pain to be treated. It's not actually something you can or should ignore because it can get much worse when that happens. Mine is really severe because of the work I was doing, as well as all the problems with my body. If its mild it gets treated with anti inflamms, ice and rest. He told me it normally happens due to injury and sometimes people will need therapy to help it heal faster. The problem with me is that I have swelling from head to toe, literally, all my joints are always inflammed, and the worst one is my left hip. I had my injection (with freezing included) last night and it hurt me BAD. Not the needle going into my skin, but the pushing of the liquid into the swollen area, the pressure from that even though it was hardly any at all, felt like someone had just dropped a brick on me, I can't explain how much pain that one area causes me, I swear on my worst days, taking one step makes me cry. I take my regular meds, take advil, going to start icing the area on a regular basis I guess, and wait and see what will happen with physical therapy. I can't even handle standing for more than 4 hours now, I used to push myself so hard at my last job, always wanting to do my best and be as good an employee and person as I thought I should be and had to be, and I'm paying the price for that now. We figure the first injection into this area never had a chance to work its magic properly because the day after I got it (and I could barely walk) I went right back to work because I'm stubborn and crazy! Now I'm home most of the time and will be giving myself a lot more rest and proper care to see if we can lick this or tone it down this time.

Hillbillie
06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I understand the pain. I have it in both knees and hips. The knees are constant and the hips flare up often as well. I told my Rheumy that it feels like someone hits me in the joints with a baseball bat when I try to go up/down steps. He increased the azathioprine to see if that would help and doubled up on the plaqunil. It really hasn't been very long, to say its working or not. cortizone shots help for a while.
Sometimes when it gets really bad I feel like a prisoner. I have to go down steps to get out of the house and up steps when I come home. I am actually afraid if I get out I may not get back in. Thankfully we have strong banisters so I lean on them and take some of the shock off the joints. One thing that has helped me is to remember the old saying... When climbing steps use the best leg first... All good people go to heaven and all the bad go to hell... going down use the bad leg first. Hope that helps some... you surely are not alone.. We limp along together! Billie

magistramarla
06-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I have knee and hip pain, too and stairs are awful! I have to go very slowly, one step at a time.
I'm going to physical therapy, but it doesn't seem to help much. The exercising hurts, but the massage and cold compression make me feel better for a little while.
Hugs,
Marla

Mommyof1
06-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Hey all Im sorry to hear this can get so bad. I will def keep that in mind and mention it to my rheumy especially if this happens to get any worse. Im thinking maybe mine had to do with carrying my book bag at school as my bag is a shoulder strap one not one that goes around your back over both shoulders. Anyway after the pregnancy Im sure they will be keeping quite a close eye on me. I also have a local rheumy appt next month on the 21st(as my current rheumy is 3 hrs away). They will be working together with my care so well see what turns up there. Hope all is well and everyone is feeling ok! *hugs* -Lupie Britt

BonusMom
06-11-2010, 10:42 PM
My eldest son developed bursitis in his hips while in boot camp (USMC). It's been very painful for him. The one thing that's been the most beneficial for him as far as pain relief is swimming. He doesn't tolerate running-the pounding is excrutiating, but does enjoy walking a lot mental therapy as well as the physical benefits.

His doctors have told him also that it's a lifelong condition. He's now 26 and was in the Corp. from age 18-23 (boot camp took longer due to his "injury").

Find a low impact exercise that works for you and do it faithfully for best control of your symptoms.

Hunniebun
06-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear your son has it too but I am glad he has found ways that help.
Yeah walking hurts and I won't even attempt to run anymore. I've been doing some exercises daily and it helps (also helps keep my depression at bay) and I also swim now once a week and feel pretty good after I come out of the pool. It probably will be a lifelong problem since it keeps coming back and it's been doing this for a very long time now before they finally out a name to it. It's alright, just another hurdle I gotta jump and I'm willing to do that since I don't like to spend my time moping around.