PDA

View Full Version : lupus rash scared

nesaby
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Hello I am new here
I have no idea what has been going on with my body but it seemed to start with a mono bout (reinfectious mono back in december and I have not been the same ) but the last month and half I have gone from bad to worse

At first I thought it was all in my head and now I have such swollen knee joints as well as other body parts - but this rash has been so itchy - I was wondering if this looks like a lupus rash-

the only bloodwork I had was that something in the rheumatory panel came up with something a little off (that was several weeks ago ) and every symptom is getting worse with so many different parts of my body involved

but here is a pic of this rash

this is mainly of my back and shoulders but it is also on my arms - itchy do you have something like this thanks so much

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz45/abynes/rash014print.jpg

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz45/abynes/rash016print.jpg

Saysusie
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Nesaby;
Welcome to our family:yes:. There are so many different types of rashes that we, as Lupus patients, can get. I can say that yours does resemble a Lupus Rash, but cannot say that it is definitely one or definitely not one.
I am going to give you some information about Lupus rashes so that you can have a bit of knowledge about them. You should, then, discuss your rash with your doctor so that you and he can make an informed decision about it and possible treatment.
The classic Lupus rash is the butterfly rash on the bridge of the nose and on the cheeks. Almost everyone with Lupus suffers from one or more types of rashes.
A) There is a form of Lupus that only affects the skin and this is known as Discoid Lupus. Discoid lupus has red skin patches on the skin and scaliness that can lead to scarring. It usually occurs on the face and scalp and can lead to loss of scalp hair (alopecia).
Chronic Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus, referred as Discoid Lupus Erythematosus, usually involves the face, scalp and ears, but it may occur anywhere. The rash may be itchy (pruritic) and are, at first, reddish (erythematous), slightly elevated papules (Small solid rounded bumps) or plaques. After time, these become raised, bright red, and swollen. Later on, the center becomes depressed, the color fades and becomes smaller, while the swollen red periphery slowly enlarges and becomes irregular with some small dilated blood vessels near the surface of the skin.
B) Acute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus is usually seen as the reddish (erythematosus) rash in a butterfly distribution on the face. This blush is slightly raised and is located in both cheeks and across the bridge of the nose. The lesion usually appears after sun exposure but persists a few days to weeks before healing without scarring. It may be accompanied by reddish lesions in other areas of the body.
C) Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus lesions may be in one area of the body or all over the body. The rash is spotty with bumps (maculopapular rash) usually occur after sun exposure, the lesions are usually very itchy (pruritic). It may involve any place on the body, and because the erythematosus lesions may involve palms and soles, they resemble a drug reaction. The great majority of these lesions heal without scarring, however, persistent lesions that become crusty may heal with only slight atrophy/scarring of the skin.
D) Lupus Panniculitis, appears as deep nodules. The lesion is situated below the skin in the subcutaneous tissue, and heals with a deep atrophy of the involved area.
E) Bullous Lupus Erythematosus is characterized by the presence of blisters which contain a clear seurous fluid, and may range from 3 to 40mm in diameter. The rash usually appears in sun exposed areas, and only rarely is associated with burning sensation, mild pruritus or redness. Some papules may accompany the blisters. The lesion may resolve spontaneously usually without a scar after a week, but they reappear episodically.
Here are some websites with pictures of different rashes. Perhaps you can compare them to yours to get an idea of what yours might be. Make sure that you discuss your rashes with your doctor!

http://organizedwisdom.com/Lupus_Rash_Pictures
www.omnimedicalsearch.com/im_lupus+rash+pictures.html

I hope that I've been helpful. Please let me know if you need anything further. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

nesaby
05-18-2010, 01:22 PM
thanks that is great I am getting an appt with a rheumatoid doc next week fingers crossed