PDA

View Full Version : Chest Pain?

ritzbit
05-12-2010, 06:05 AM
I woke up in the middle of the night with this sharp pain just bellow my ribs. I couldnt sleep and couldnt get comfortable because it hurt so much. I woke my mom up to ask her what she thought it was and she told me to just try to sleep because she didnt know. So I laid on the couch for hours in pain. I didnt go to school today because I got maybe a half hour of good sleep after waking up at 3 in the morning and it still hurt. It doesnt hurt as badly now if Im sitting up and hurts worse when Im laying down or standing. Any thoughts on what it might be?

SandyR
05-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Ritzbit,

Sorry to hear you are in pain at the moment. Did you call the doc? Are you feeling better? I had a roommate once who was a nursing major and described pain like yours. After a ride to the ER and lots of poking and prodding, turned out she had a bad case of case trapped in her stomach. I also saw that someone wrote about inflamed ribs on another post the other day. I think it was called chondritis. I had never heard of it before, but when I looked it up, it sounded like what you are saying too. I know that doesn't really help you out, but maybe it will give you and your doctor a place to look if they don't know the answer. For now, sounds like you should find a comfy position and try to get a little rest if you can.

Sandy

ritzbit
05-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Whatever it is it's not my stomach I know that because I have enough problems with my stomach to know when somethings wrong with it. I told my mom to call the doctor when she gets the chance and ask her what she thinks. I've been feeling a bit off for a few days so Im thinking I might be sick or something. I've been having really bad headaches and I've been really tired. It sucks because I was just saying a week or so ago how good I've been feeling lately.

Hunniebun
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Ritzbit, I get chest pain too and I get it just about all the time, right in the area where my heart is, and on the other side. It hurts pretty badly and laying down makes it much worse, so does breathing. It used to be a little issue with the cavity around my heart, but that has changed (I've had two echocardiograms done). I was told not to worry about it anymore but I still kept having chest pain so it was looked into again and has been diagnosed as muscle spasms in my chest. It happens to me so often that I'm somewhat used to it now and I don't fear as much when it happens because I know it will pass and I just have to relax and wait.
I think it's a good idea to see your doctor though just to make sure.
I hope you feel better soon.

ritzbit
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
It isn't hurting today. And my blood work from a couple weeks ago was bad. And so of course that means Im not taking my meds. My mom spoke up to me today and told her that it really pisses me off that she uses that as an excuse to not really look into anything I say anymore. I bet that makes her job alot easier. She always says "you know Im just going to put you on more pills if you dont take the ones your on" and I keep telling her I do take my pills and yet she doesnt like to listen to me. I came in with complaints about the area right under my ribs and she barely even proded around there or ask any questions. She said to take some antacids and I'd feel better. But its not my stomach that hurt. I dont know. She makes me so mad.

Melly
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Is it on the right hand side, right under your ribs? I had pain like that and it turned out to be gall bladder inflammation. They removed the rotten organ and I haven't had any issues since. I hope this gets better for you. If it is your gall bladder, that pain is absolutely miserable. :( Please get checked out by the doc. Feel better! *hugs*

You might want to look into gall stones as well: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gallstones/ds00165/dsection=symptoms

Gadgetgeek
05-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi Ritzbit,
Sorry you are feeling bad. This same type of pain sent me to the hospital last week. I posted about it in the new member's forum, when I joined WHL. The ER doctor said that it was Costochondritis and is appearantly pretty typical with autoimmune diseases. They gave me ibuprofen and tylenol, along with my other meds, and though I still have residual pain it isn't real bad anymore. Stress can aggravate it. Lying on my back hurt, so I stayed in a partial reclined position. The doctor told me that it was important that I had it checked out anyway, there are several things it could be. It is best to be sure.

I found the information on emedicinehealth.com to be helpful. Plus Saysusie and Magistsmarla both had information and examples and said many memebers on this site have had costochondritis.

I hope you have it checked out and you are feeling better.

rob
05-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi Ritzbit,
Sorry you are feeling bad. This same type of pain sent me to the hospital last week. I posted about it in the new member's forum, when I joined WHL. The ER doctor said that it was Costochondritis and is appearantly pretty typical with autoimmune diseases. They gave me ibuprofen and tylenol, along with my other meds, and though I still have residual pain it isn't real bad anymore. Stress can aggravate it. Lying on my back hurt, so I stayed in a partial reclined position. The doctor told me that it was important that I had it checked out anyway, there are several things it could be. It is best to be sure.

I found the information on emedicinehealth.com to be helpful. Plus Saysusie and Magistsmarla both had information and examples and said many memebers on this site have had costochondritis.

I hope you have it checked out and you are feeling better.

I agree with Gadgetgeek Ritzbit, it sounds alot like Costochondritis, which I deal with often. It's so painful it will stop you in your tracks, however it's a benign condition that has no real danger, it just hurts like hell. I take Naproxen (Aleve) for it, and I use a hot pack on the affected area, and it helps.

rob

ritzbit
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I wish my doctor would have suggested that because then I would have taken my Naproxen (which I only take when I need it) and not Tums. Because that didnt help at all. And now that you mention it. I think thats what my NURSE said, but the doctor didnt even suggest it and I didnt think anything of the nurse saying it. I really wish my mom would help me get an appointment with a different doctor because I really don't like mine. She likes to use "you dont take your pills do you?" as a plausable response to everything I come complaining to her about because I went on my "no more pills" kick a few months ago. She takes nothing I say seriously.

rob
05-14-2010, 04:46 PM
I wish my doctor would have suggested that because then I would have taken my Naproxen (which I only take when I need it) and not Tums. Because that didnt help at all. And now that you mention it. I think thats what my NURSE said, but the doctor didnt even suggest it and I didnt think anything of the nurse saying it. I really wish my mom would help me get an appointment with a different doctor because I really don't like mine. She likes to use "you dont take your pills do you?" as a plausable response to everything I come complaining to her about because I went on my "no more pills" kick a few months ago. She takes nothing I say seriously.

That sucks that they still hold the no more pills episode against you. Everyone makes mistakes, they should cut you some slack. Anyway, I find that I can cause, or aggravate the pain by laying in an odd position for too long, and sometimes I get the pain when I stretch my arms upward, like when reaching for something on the top shelf. All Costochondritis is, is an inflammation of the cartilage in the ribcage/sternum area. For me, it's usually in the very bottom rib on the right side. It just comes from out of nowhere and feels like being stabbed with an icepick. It comes and goes, kinda has a mind of it's own. It really scared me the first time it happened. Thought I was having a heart attack or something. Give the naproxen and hot pack a try, it usually works for me.

Rob

ritzbit
05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks =) It's let up since it happened a few days ago but at least I'll know what to do if it happens again. I always have those things on hand lol