PDA

View Full Version : strong body odor

pjreeses
05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
hi everyone,
it's been a while since the last post. i still have no diagnosis. i thought i might ask this question here and see what kind of responses i get before asking my doctor. i've had a really strong body odor for a couple of years now. it just started quickly and hasn't went away since. i sweat more than i used to and i apply deodorant/antiperspirant twice a day sometimes. this is just an all over odor not just armpits, almost like my natural body odor has just changed. its quite embarassing. sometimes i shower twice a day. and i don't dare even think about skipping a shower if i get up late in the morning. if i go without a shower i feel like pepi la phew(pretty sure i spelled that wrong) in one of those cartoons where everyone passes out when he walks by. CAN ANYBODY HELP? any and all answers will be appreciated. thanks.

potts77
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
What can of meds are you on? Sometimes the medication you're taking whether it's over the counter or prescribed can change your body chemistry... I KNOW for a fact. I'm in the same boat you're in pjresses. Ever since I've been taking depakote my body has been reakin' like an onion or garlic. I bathe twice sometimes three times a day and I drench myself in perfume and BO smell good (aka all of deodorant). Plus... you can smell yourself better than others can. It's stronger to you than anyone else. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I KNOW what you're going through and you have my sympathy and prayers.

Hillbillie
05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Not sure I can help you but this might be worth a try until you see your doctor. Years ago I had a doctor that said she used a vinegar solution in the summer that is 50/50 water and vinegar. Spray on after your bath let it stay a few minutes and then rinse off. The smell of vinegar is strong but if its bacteria or yeast on your skin it should help. I definitely would mention this to the doctor. Vinegar is cheap and it'd be worth a try.

pjreeses
05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
i haven't been taking any meds lately. i will definitely try the vinegar solution. at this point i can't smell any worse right? thanks guys!

Saysusie
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I agree that it may have something to do with your medications. I have also heard about the vinegar/water spray and that it works well.

I am, naturally, very oily and, as such, if I am not careful I can develop a body odor. When I was a pre-teen, I was told to always bath with anti-bacterial soaps. Doing so has kept me from developing body odor.
I have never used the vinegar/water solution, but I do use an 80/20 solution of bleach and water in the summer when I tend to sweat a bit more. I spray it on my body after washing with the anti-bacterial soap, let it sit for a while and then rinse off thoroughly. I know that it works because if I have even one (1) day when I cannot follow this regimen, I develop the odor.
I will say this, however. I can smell my odor..but when I ask my husband, he says that he cannot smell anything other than my natural body odor which he thought (when we first met) was a type of perfume that I used. I think that we, ourselves, are much more sensitive to our body odor than others are. :cute:
I hope that you find an answer for the cause or, at the very least, a solution that works for you.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

SandyR
05-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I have never used the vinegar/water solution, but I do use an 80/20 solution of bleach and water in the summer when I tend to sweat a bit more. I spray it on my body after washing with the anti-bacterial soap, let it sit for a while and then rinse off thoroughly. I know that it works because if I have even one (1) day when I cannot follow this regimen, I develop the odor.

Saysusie - I think you mean you use80/20 water and bleach, no? I would think 80% bleach would be very irratating to the skin and unsafe and wouldn't want anyone to mix the solution wrong.

PJ- I've had this problem too and don't take many meds (just bc and allergy meds really) but I know that diet can affect odor. A day after anything spicey or chock full of garlic or onions is noticable to me.

I also have heard of the vinegar thing. Didn't try it yet, but might this summer as I don't have AC and always feel smellier than. I also use powder after a bath and switch up deoderants every now and again between Toms of Maine and Secret.

pjreeses
01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
turns out that it is a fungal infection. i've had sores on my feet that wouldn't go away for quite some time. sometimes they would get smaller but not disappear completly. i would get small to quarter sized blisters on the sides and soles of my feet. i tried everything. creams, lotions, neosporin, over the counter anti-fungal creams and sprays nothing worked. i also had a discoloration on my skin. i would wash it off and it was back by noon. about 4 months ago one of these sores got really big. golf ball sized, then it got infected. badly. i went in to the doctor. she looked at it and said it's a fungal infection. i told her i tried anti-fungals and they didn't work. i thought it was the lupus. obviously it wasn't. it took two courses of antibiotics over six weeks to get rid of the combination bacterial/fungal infection inside my foot. but the fungus is still there on the surface and just under the skin. i take lamisil pills and use two different creams twice daily. the body odor started about the same time as the foot sores. i just didn't realize it. when i started taking all the meds for the fungal infection the body odor started to disappear. unfortunately, the lamisil takes a long time to kill the fungus completly. three to nine months. so i got about six more months to go. don't worry most people don't usually get it. it's not athlete's foot. thats why i didn't think it was a fungus.i forget what the doctor said it was, but it's rare for people to get it.

Saysusie
01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
OOPS, yes I did mean 20% Bleach to 80% water :-) The most important thing is to rinse it off thoroughly!!

Thanx For The Correction!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie