PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

ritzbit
04-29-2010, 11:12 AM
I know a big part of getting healthy is fitting exercise into your day, but when Im so busy and so stressed its hard to get motivated because Im either really tired or just dont have the time. My doctor is always preaching that I need to get it in but when I get stressed I get so tired and feel sick. I need some good motivation because everytime I start I can't keep it up. Any suggestions on how I can get my but up and out?

mountaindreamer
04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
hi ritzbit,

i hope your school year is going GREAT.

If you can find a source of motivation to get yourself out and exercise, please pass along to me. The only thing i have to offer is the motivation that i get from my little dog to take him for a walk.....that is my only motivation, and my only source of exercise.

I will tell you not to let the dr. stress you out about exercising. He/she should understand what happens to our bodies, especially when as busy as you are. Fatigue is a REAL fact for us, and sometimes walking from the bed to the couch is the best we can do....don't let him/her get to you.

ritzbit
04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I know exercise can be good to help lower your stress level. I am freaking out right now. I have soo many things going on this next week and a half. The end of the year is always crazy.I have to finish this 600 page book by Monday along with a packet on it and I have to finish my project for this college class Im taking and study for the exam in my college class and my AP psychology class. And prom is this weekend so nothing is going to get done then.

Schedule: Saturday- Prom
Sunday- Dead from prom lol
Monday-AP exam for class/ 600 page book packet due
Tuesday-AP exam(second half)/ presentation in college class
Wednesday-Mentoring after school/ Boyfriends bday
Thursday-Final exam for college class
Friday-Die? lol

Then the next Monday I have another exam. Doesnt that all sound like a lot of fun? Im probably going to start making myself really sick. And Im still having A LOT of problems with the ulcers on my hands. So I need some stress relief.

SandyR
04-29-2010, 03:31 PM
It sounds like you will be running around being busy with mental excersize this week. As for me, I do what I can when I can. I also try to pace my schedule. For instance, I have the MS Walk this weekend and Saturday night is a monthly dance that I would normally go to and kick my heels up at but I know if I go to the dance, I will be dying on the walk. Do what you can, when you can and there will be less stress. Have fun at the prom. Can't wait to see the pics!

ritzbit
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Before I started having issues with my sunblock my bf was taking to the park once a week and he would walk with me. But I havent been able to go out in the sun for a few weeks now. I think that one day of getting out was really helping, even if only a little bit. And I've been a little sore from an accident involving a picnik table and my elbow lol bad story. I cant wait til school is over! I need a nice long break. It wont be that much of a break though becuz Im taking a class over the summer to get college credit and its free! Im always sooo busy. I used to just sit around all the time. Good times lol

magistramarla
04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Good for you Ritzbit!
I'm glad that you're working so hard on your education. Just get through these few weeks as best you can, and then worry about the exercise. The walks in the park sounds like a great way to get exercise and have some quality time with your sweetie at the same time. Can you walk in the shade and wear a big, floppy hat?
That time together should be lots easier when you're down to one class. Those summer classes are always great, since you don't have to divide your attention between so many classes.
Bona Fortuna on the AP tests and have a wonderful and safe prom night.
Hugs from the old AP teacher,
Marla

brandichi
04-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow, sounds like a super busy week!! At my lupus support group, we've had a dietician come in each month since January, and at one of the meetings she talked about exercise. She made three key points that have helped me, maybe they will help you too:

1. Listen to your body! If you are not up to exercising, don't exercise that day. Yes, exercise is important, but not enough to risk a flare.

2. Do what you love. Don't do aerobics or the treadmilll if you hate it. You'll only end up quitting it at the first opportunity. (So true!)

3. Lupus patients should really exercise every other day. We need to give our body a rest in between to avoid a flare. Every other day will still give us what we need.

I need to get a whole lot more serious about exercise right now. I did great last month, but then I got a sinus infection which affected my asthma so I couldn't exercise. And now I'm out of the habit. For me, I LOVE swimming, even though I won't let anyone I know see me in a bathing suit. So what I did is start using my lifetime pass to Fitness USA. I've had it for nearly 20 years, and it's totally free now. I swim on the weekends, when there's mostly just old women there, or people who look a lot like I do. :) I swim as many laps as I feel I can, then do water aerobics on my own. Usually I can last 30-40 minutes, and I feel so free in the water I feel like everything else just melts away and I'm in my own little piece of heaven. Then, my reward is going into the whirlpool for a while. Ahhhhhh!

I also take Brandi (my dog) for walks around the block. She loves it and so do I, but I stopped when my breathing was bad. I can do that right after work without too much trouble, and I need to start that - today!

I had a HUGE argument with my primary care doctor about exercise a while back. I can't remember if I posted about it or not though. He INSISTED I have to exercise as soon as I get home from work, and I got angry. Most of the time, when I get home, I'm beyond exhausted. I get up at 5:15 AM, and get home after a long day of teaching. By then, all I can do is flop on the couch for the next hour. I told him he has NO IDEA what it's like to live with lupus, because if he did, he wouldn't even suggest that. He said I was "uncooperative" about exericise. Arghhhhhh!!!! In the end, it turned out that he was half right, because I can walk around the block most days, but not always. And defintely not any more than that.

I hope your week goes well - enjoy every minute of the prom!!! And I'm sure once summer starts and you're down to one class, it will be much easier for you.

ritzbit
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Thats what I've been trying. last week I went on a walk with my mom once it was dark out since I cant get out in the sun yet and she is in much better shape than me and it was hard. Its sad lol me and my mom are going out once Im not so busy to get a cute summer hat. We saw some while I was shopping for prom jewelry but didnt get one becuz it wasnt on my list of things I needed right then and I was rushed.

I've thought a lot about swimming becuz I know that NKU (Northern Kentucky University) has a pool that I can use because Im taking classes there. I love swimming because it doesnt feel like a workout like it would if you went to a gym and got on those machines. Those make my knees hurt so bad.

Im going to put a bunch of pics on here after prom =) I love my dress soo much =D

mountaindreamer
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
hi ritzbit,

it is saturday night, so i guess you are at your prom. I hope you are having a fabulous night, and i am anxious to see the pics.

wolfwhisper
05-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey ritzbit!
Can't wait to see your prom pictures! Hope you get the cute hat you wanted, and had a great time at prom!

ritzbit
05-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I'll try to put the pics on later today =) I had such a good time!!

brandichi
05-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm so glad you had fun! Looking forward to seeing the pics!!

ritzbit
05-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Prom pictures are up =) Dancing all night and little sleep took its toll on me. Legs are swollen and couldnt walk this morning lol Its not so much painful as it is inconvient as long as Im just sitting but I couldnt go to school today on my busy week! Not that Im complaining about another day off.

magistramarla
05-03-2010, 04:23 PM
You looked beautiful, Steven looked very handsome, and I'm glad that you had such a wonderful time.
Now, on to graduation, continued education and a great life ahead of you!
You may have more to deal with than most young people, but that will make you all the stronger.
Kudos to Steven for standing by you, too!
Hugs to both of you,
Marla

ritzbit
05-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I've had a bad day. There's this website where people can ask you questions and stuff and I made one anad its usually just silly stuff from my step mom and sister but someone keeps getting on there leaving me stuff about how no one likes me becuz I complain too much. And Im aware I probably do. And even apologize when I do. But I've had a really stressful crazy year. And I dont know why this person feels the need to beat me up over it.

magistramarla
05-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Sweetie,
That is the work of a very immature person, who has no understanding of what you are going through. You're more mature than that - that's why you come here. I recently read about a principal of a Junior High who is campaigning to get every student in his school OFF of all social networking sites for precisely this reason. They are too immature to know how to be polite to each other online, and many are too immature to know how to disregard those hurtful posts. The principal is concerned that this could lead to suicides, like that beautiful young lady who was recently bullied so horribly online.
Just remember - you're too smart to let them get to you. You have parents who are looking out for your health, that handsome young man who obviously loves you, and all of your friends here who understand that sometimes we all need to complain and vent a little.
Just disregard that post, and don't even give them the satisfaction of knowing that it bothered you at all. Perhaps you can block that person from posting at your site?
Hugs,
Marla

brandichi
05-04-2010, 09:48 AM
What beautiful pictures, Ritzbit!! You look gorgeous, and the dress is amazing! You and your boyfriend make such a nice couple - he looks like a nice guy. I'm so glad it went well and you had fun!!!

Try not to take that person too seriously. Anyone who knows you, and knows what you are going through would be supportive. This person sounds like someone who is unhappy with him/herself, so puts you down in an effort to make themselves look better. And it's only making that person look bad, not you!

I agree with Marla, the best thing to do is just ignore the person. When they see they can't bother you, they'll stop. In the meantime, take good care of yourself as you go through the rest of this super busy week.

ritzbit
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks you guys. I told them that they're acting like a 5 year old and to stop messaging me because they just keep trying to make a point that I already acknowledged and I said that I know I do complain but only to my friends and they said they arent my friend apparently (its an anonymous site) so told them basically to just shut up then because Im obviously not bothering them, and if their friends are complaining to them about me complaining then that sounds like something that they should talk to their friends about not me. Lol I dont really care. They sound ignorant.