PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Question

LAP717
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Hello! I was a 'boot camp' kind of a gal with exercise; the harder, the better. But for the last 6 months, my legs just feel too weak for the hardcore stuff. But I miss it desperately.

Without swimming as an option, can you suggest other favorites that you have found that make you feel stronger? Thanks!

Serenity81
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm in the same boat as you at the moment, so I'm anxiously awaiting some suggestions, too! =) I'm thinking walking would probably be the best way to start (for me at least) as I just have zero energy right now... I'm hoping that will increase my stamina and I can build up to something else after. I'm so lost though when it comes to where I should begin.

rob
04-20-2010, 07:59 AM
I was a boot camp workout kind of person too, literally. These days I find that walking works well for me. I walk at least one mile every other day as long as I am not having a flare. If I'm feeling a little stronger, I'll walk a little faster, a little longer, taking longer strides to stretch out a bit. Walking may not seem harcore enough for some people, but given the limitations imposed upon us by our various autoimmune disorders, it's far better than no exercise at all.

Wear your hat and sunscreen!

Rob

LAP717
04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Thank you everyone! I just need to realize it is OK to take a step back. Something is better than nothing. I will also re-engage my elliptical. I bet we will become friends again.

Nonna
04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi all,
I was not abootcamp person. I have found that I can do my stationary bike and some low impact exercises,
my daughter wanted me try try walking a 5K while they ran it for my grandson's football team to raise some money. Well the long and short is that I was able to do it with many many stops to rest along the way. I was in a lot of pain the next 2 days, but it was not so bad today. I think it was good for my muscles.

But I sometimes think that I am one of the lucky ones; I don't have totally severe symptoms as some do.

Denise Austin is the girl who does excellent exercise videos by the way.

I think that by exercise and using the muscles the pain does not seem as severe as with out

nonna

Sarah2010
06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I am trying to find the strength and energy to get some exercise in also!!! I am 26 and was a work out machine before I got sick!! I trained at least 5 days a week, running, biking and swimming miles and miles, going to the gym and lifting weights, you name it, I did it. I had planned on participating in 3 triathlons before the month of June this year...but my body had other plans and I couldnt do it :(... SLowly, My hands decided they didnt want to work anymore, followed by my feet which were too puffy and sore to get my running shoes on..and now with this flair, my whole dang body hurts!! Im sooo tired to even get up to go potty these days, that the idea of taking a walk sounds exhausting. SO, what i'm suggesting to you, as well as to myself, is YOGA and stretching!!! It is good for the body and the soul. I know that by me laying down all day, im not using my body much and i'm in a catch 22 with the fatigue. So this is my promise to do some stretching later in the day!! Please do it too!! It is low impact, it will get some of the kinks out and also release any toxins and lactic acid hiding in the tissue, and in time will give us more energy. Good luck.
-Sarah

Saysusie
06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I, too, was a boot camp kinda exercise girl. However, nowadays, that is virtually impossible. I do swim. But during the winter months, I do a lot of Pilates, Yoga, and Tai Chi.
It is important that we do exercise regularly and it is equally important that we find a non-jarring type of exercise that we will commit to doing on a regular basis. I hope that all of the suggestions that you've received will help you in finding an exercise regime that you enjoy!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
06-30-2010, 04:03 PM
The only exercise that I have ever enjoyed is walking and water aerobics. My rheumy had me to do some physical therapy to get ready for my trip. He had me to do quite a bit of time on the stationary bike and strengthening machines for my legs. I'm glad that I did it, since I did a lot of walking on my vacation.
I live near a beach, and I LOVE walking on the sand with my sweetie. That helps to strengthen my legs, too.
Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
06-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Boy, I admire all of you.
I have such a physically demanding, backbreaking job, that I can barely get out of my car after work, because I am in so much pain. There is no way, I could do any kind of exercise.
On my days off, my husband and I do a little walking, but it can't be fast or to long, because of hip and knee pain.
I would love to go swimming, but the "nice" YMCA is to far to drive every day. Plus I don't really want anybody to see me in a bathing suit. lol
Sounds like excuses, heh.

Debbie

teresaa40
07-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I used to be a workout junkie. Loved that feeling, when your muscles are flexing and you're sweating and you feel alive like no other time. You feel like you can take on the world. Now, Im having the hardest time having anything like an exercise routine. The problem isn't motivation, it's not being able to do much of anything enough days in a row to consider it a routine. I start off great, but, then I get hit hard and Im down for so long I just can't get motivated, and I feel like there just isn't any point in trying to make a committment because I know I won't be able to stick to it. There are days I think it should just be enough to fight this disease than to fight to stay physically fit. The two aren't going together for about two years now and I'm tired.

Nonna
07-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I live near a beach, and I LOVE walking on the sand with my sweetie. That helps to strengthen my legs, too.
Hugs,
Marla

Marla you are so Lucky right now. Walking in the sand is so the best exercise for strengthening the legs. I miss doing that.
Nonna

jmail
07-08-2010, 02:23 PM
"Rides" on a recumbent bike, some walking, and a "morning routine" of stretches and "core" exercises for my back is about all I get in anymore... I'm slowing down, and *fast*! It's almost scary... Where's the will-power go when you *really* need it?... lol