PDA

View Full Version : A history of Lupus?

polly pop
09-16-2005, 09:18 AM
I was just curious how many of you with Lupus have family members with this illness?

I ask because I have no one in my family with it. Not it or anything related to it. I'm actually concerned because I was not diagnosed with this until about a year and half after I moved 800 miles away, and to a place within 50 miles of a nuclear power facility.

I wasn't too concerned at first, but then my next door neighbor revealed to me that she suffered from lupus too. And oddly enough she was living in that same neighborhood when she was diagnosed.

I keep seeing articles stating that it is mostly genetic, but couldn't it also be environmental?

Just curious if anyone has done any reading into this.

Momof1
09-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi there yes my family has lupus i have brother that was tested positive 10yrs ago and a sister who tested as a low positive which i guess its possible for her to get it she just hasnt had any flare ups yet, and of course i have had it for 4yrs, but I to heard alot on different things that can cause lupus and i know they say certain drugs can cause it and certain chemicals so I do believe that since it is an auto immune diease that sometimes it is brought on by certain things i for instance never had a problem my whole life until i started the depo-provera shot after the first shot is when i had a flare up i thought it had something to do with the shot and so did my doctors so they treated me for an allergic reaction which is when i found out i had lupus. well hopefully everything is going ok with you.
Mary

ClaireMacl
09-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Hiya,

Yeah, I seem to have a strong family history... My dad had SLE, sadly died a couple of years ago, my mum has various related autoimmune diseases and related problems, although has not had a positive ANA as of yet. Also, my dad's dad died after years of kidney problems and odd symptoms which doctors now believe may have been Lupus way before it was recognised as a disease.

From what I understand, a genetic link is now completely recognised, although there have not been large enough studies over periods of time to say how strong the link is.

Claire

hippimom2
09-17-2005, 07:16 AM
I have also read that there can be a genetic link in lupus. I have a family member with lupus and another with RA. I have also read that exposure to certain environmental things may trigger lupus, so your hypothesis might not be too far off. It's something that would be interesting to read more about.

SoleSinger
09-17-2005, 08:35 AM
You're not alone! Not only do I not have anyone in my family with lupus, but there are NO autoimmune disorders in my family...

My grandmother had lung cancer from working in the TB ward during WWII... My other grandmother had diabetes... And my great grandmother had polio as a kid... Other than that, really no illness in my family at all...

Though, I always have been the weird one in the family... Makes sense that I would get an autoimmune disease... LOL

Katalanta
09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
I am, as far as I know, alone in the auto-immune shadow in my family. Sort of.

I have one brother I kind of wonder about - but he's gone to doctor after doctor and no one's ever told him he has an autoimmune thing going on. Of course, they haven't been able to tell him what's actually wrong with him either, but as far as I know, his problems are pretty mild.

Me, on the other hand, I've been "sickly" since the day I was born. The family story is that my dad called his 13 year-old daughter from the hospital to tell her she had yet another baby sister - and then said, "But don't get too attached, she's not going to live long." Born WAY premature for the time (a couple of months) and with blood problems aplenty. Got 2 complete blood transfusions in the first 2 days on the planet - so they tell me. I obviously have no recall of that particular experience.

I can remember catching every single cold, flu, virus, and bacterial infection available at school. I was that kid who showed up the first week and wasn't consistently seen again til finals - trailing kleenex all the way. Got strep throat every year. Ended up in the hospital with a nasty bout of shingles in 6th or 7th grade...I think that was after I got hit by the bus (really).

Anyway, with that history, I don't find it terribly odd that I'm the only one I can trace in my family with this particular...malfunction? I will throw down with you on one other thing, though - I moved 2000 miles away from home - and maybe exposure to such a radically different environment did have some sort of trigger effect.

Still not going back to Michigan as long as I have any choice in the matter. Even if it meant being 100% well. It's worth the pain and the pills to be the heck out of there. ON my gravestone it'll probably say, "Better here, than back in Detroit."

SoleSinger
09-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Now, that's something I was wondering about... Because I never reallyt did get sick as a kid... I mean, I'd have my cold or two a year with the weather change... But never really got sick... And when I did get sick it would always go away fast... So I wonder which is more common? And if there's any cooralation?

Hmm....

Missy
10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
My sister had lupus, also. My maternal aunt may also, but it's debatable.

I found out at a lupus symposium that they have found a gene that makes you more susceptible to lupus, Type 1 diabetes, and Graves disease (a thyroid condition). Well, I figure the paternal side of my family has that one, because my sister and I have lupus, our brother has Diabetes Type 1, and our paternal aunt has Graves.

hatlady
10-24-2005, 04:04 PM
I seem to be the only one in my extended family with lupus, type II, osteoporosis, diabetes and heart conditions are far more prevalent.

I do know of one person whos lupus was definitely environmental, due to a banned insecticide that was inappropriately applied.

I've also read that certain meds can cause it - those cases however quicky resolve whenthe med is stopped.

kkgadro
11-03-2005, 11:02 AM
My Great Grandmother died in her early 30's. my Grandmother died at 56, my Mom tested positive she has some aches and pains. Me? Well, I take after my Grandma. I have it all. I have 2 boys, 20 and 17,and 1 daughter 8. The boys are showing signs.

Saysusie
11-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Almost everyone in my immediate family(uncles, aunts, mother, cousins, grandmother) has either connective tissue or auto-immune illnesses. So, it seems as if my daughter and myself were doomed to have Lupus (or something similar). My son also suffers from an auto-immune illness.
So, I guess some of us are predisposed to having an illness like Lupus :(

Saysusie

jothebrit
11-06-2005, 04:45 AM
One doctor told me, that if you have thyroid disease you are more likely to develop lupus. My mom and I take thyroid meds, but no one in my family has ever had lupus.
You have to wonder about how many people years ago never got diagnoseed correctly though, you know how hard it still is today. Last night I was talking to my aunt in England, and she was saying my grandmother (who just got moved to a nursing home for dementia and having several small strokes) has a rash all over her and complains about people touching her. At this point she is in very bad shape and I don't think it's fair for her to go through any more extensive tests. But all of a sudden the question pops up, maybe she has lupus.
For myself I have lived next to a nuclear power plant in Germany and here, but noticed the symptoms after spending two weeks in Florida this summer. Maybe the intense sun triggered the flare-up.
JO

linksrus
11-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Hello,

No one in my immediate family has it so far besides me. My mom died at 52 of Cancer but had medical problems all her life. Her mom, my grandmother had numerous medical problems that the doctors now think could have been Lupus. My Rhumi told me that SLE Lupus skips a generation and that it could be inherited.

There are recent discoveries of a gene on chromosome 1 which is associated with lupus in certain families. Previously, genes on chromosome 6 called "immune response genes" were also associated with the disease. Only 10 percent of lupus patients will have a close relative (parent or sibling) who already has or may develop lupus. Statistics show that only about 5% of the children born to individuals with lupus will develop the illness.

While scientists believe there is a genetic predisposition to the disease, it is known that environmental factors also play a critical role in triggering lupus. Some of the environmental factors that may trigger the disease are: infections, antibiotics (especially those in the sulfa and penicillin groups), ultraviolet light, extreme stress, certain drugs, and hormones.

Rich Morris

kiwimitts
11-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Auto-immune disease runs in my family. My paternal grandmother died at age 34. She had 4 kids (my 3 aunts and my dad) before she passed away. Two of my dad's sisters have SLE and one has rheumatoid arthritis. I definitely think there's a genetic link.

PattyLatty
11-23-2005, 07:47 AM
My 82 year old mother has Lupus - was diagnosed in her sixties, rather late, don't you think. Hers is in remission. All studies point to a genetic component to Lupus.

I hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! :lol: And that you eat a lot of turkey and pie. And that none of you overdo it!!!! :x Take care of yourselves. Blessings.