PDA

View Full Version : Questions about GFR lab

ema1976
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has a good resource for reading about or gaining some understanding about the GFR lab test and what it means. I was seen in the ER recently for something unrelated (or at least that's what I thought) to lupus. I requested copies of my labs to take with me to Cailfornia since I'm moving back home.

The GFR is showing up with a "low" result (76) yet it wasn't mentioned to me. Is it normal for a physician to not mention the result if I was being seen in the ER for something unrelated? He just said I needed to follow up with my doctor.

Problem is...I was laid off and don't have insurance. So I haven't had consistent care in a long time. Anyway, long story longer, there are other high/low results but they're pretty consistent with recent labs over the last year or more. But...as far as I know, this GFR thing is new.

Does anyone have any information about it that would be helpful?

Thanks,
Elaina

Sherry47
04-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Elaina,
The GFR scale at my hospital is stg 1 90>, stg 2 60-89, stg 3 30-59, stg 4 15-29, stg5 14 or less. The lower the number the less your glomerulus is filtering. Stage two is an acceptable range, I have been in stage two for awhile and my doc assures me I have nothing to worry about.
Hope this helps
Sherry

Linda From Australia
08-14-2010, 02:02 AM
My result is, or was 7 weeks ago - 53, so I suppose that is stage 3. Has anyone lese had that level and what sort of treatment was given to you. I have not been treated yet, still waiting for my first appointment