PDA

View Full Version : Exercise - What a pain!

magistramarla
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM
So, I went to physical therapy yesterday. I pedaled on the bike for 15 minutes and then moved to what they call the arm bike. My PT told me to do it standing, not sitting, so that I could work on my balance, which is bad. I did 5 minutes forward, then 5 backward. I was watching the read-outs, and I saw my heart rate go up to 198, then spike to 204 or 205 a couple of times. I asked about it, since I had noticed that it had stayed at 125 when I was pedaling the bike. The PT had me to rest before I did anything else, but I noticed that my heart continued pounding in my chest.
My hubby was very concerned when I told him about my heart rate. I was really exhausted all evening. Iíve noticed that whenever I exercise, I have a really, really bad night afterward. I was awake, and in terrible pain once per hour last night. I know that I need to exercise and build up my stamina, but doing it makes me suffer afterward.
Does anyone else have this happen? My hubby thinks that my doc will get upset if she hears about my heart rate. Does anyone else have any experience with this? What exercise can I safely do? I also tried doing some gentle stretches and yoga moves at home a few weeks ago, with the same results Ė I felt exhausted and sore for days afterward.
I guess that my next step will have to be a membership where I can do water aerobics when Iím no longer paying the co-pay for the PT.
Hopefully, I can get out to walk on the beach more often, which I love to do, even though it exhausts me. I also love to walk in the mall, but that can get expensive, since I just can't seem to walk past Chico's.
Hugs,
Marla

SandyR
04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Marla,
Have you told your dr about this? It sounds like you need a little look at your heart. Do you have a murmur? I would mention it to the doc and see what they say. Maybe they will want you to run some tests like a halter monitor or EKG or sono just to see that all is ok. Please don't blow this off. The heart is the most important organ we have.
You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Sandy

DrinkofWtr
04-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I am no medical person by any means but if I were you I would get an appt. with my Dr. and explain what happened when you last exercised. Let us know what he has to say. Take care.

Drink

Saysusie
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I know that it is common for the heart rate to increase with exercise and that it takes a while for it to come down. Usually between 190-220 is considered vigorous exercise. I've been told that the concern comes if the heart rate does not go down in several hours. My resting heart rate is always rather fast because I exercise a lot! Even at that, if I do vigorous exercise, it can take up to an hour before my heart rate goes all the way down again. This is part of the reason why your body continues to burn calories after you've exercised. However, It sounds like your physical therapists were trying to gauge your limits and may have pushed you a bit too hard and too far!
Bike riding is an aerobic exercise and may be a bit much for you right now. I usually suggest something like Yoga or Pilates. You can still get your heart rate up, but without the exhaustion and pain afterwards. Water aerobics can also be vigorous and can get your rate up quickly. Maybe you can try swimming laps (actually start out just paddling back n forth on your back using swim fins). You can work your way up to stroking!
Also, you can try starting out doing chair exercises (leg lifts, side twists, arm raises, etc.)using canned food as weights. You need not do any aerobic exercise to start out, you just need to move your body and add some resistance to tone your muscles.
I hope that you find a routine that works for you and do not let them push you like that again!! I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Nonna
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Marla,
sounds like the pt had you do too much too fast. Denise Austin has a low impact video where you just do what you can and slowly work into it. Do tell your doc about the heart rate though. That doesn't seem right.

Better safe than sorry

nonna

debbie-b
04-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Hi Marla,

My resting pulse, heartbeat is always around 120, so when I just get up from a sitting position, it can easely spike to 180.
I was on a holter monitor for one week and my doctor was amazed, that my heartrate would spike for no reason at all.
When I doze off in my Lazyboy, within 10 minutes I awake shaking and scared to death, because of my heart beating like it is going to jump out of my chest, this is why I have been on Ambien( my very best friend, right after my husband) for 10 years. After I have spend over 6 months of sleeping less than 10 hours in a week. I would wake up with a heart rate of 200 for no reason at all. Of course with a heart rate like that, there is no way you can go back to sleep.
Well the doc finally figured out, that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, because of the Rheumatic Fever I had as a child.
All this happened, long before I was dx with lupus.
I think your doc should check into it further and not let you do any more of these exercises, until he knows, if there is a problem with your heart.
Good luck.

Debbie

mountaindreamer
04-03-2010, 04:20 PM
hi marla,

i experience the exact same reaction to exercise (go figure). I have tried gentle water aerobics, and it puts me to bed each time. I have tried gentle yoga, and to bed i go....can't sleep, pain, fatigue, etc. walking seems to be the only thing that i can do that does not put me down. with my fibromyalgia, the thought of stretching makes me ache.....my neck and shoulders just don't stretch any more.

good luck, and let me know if you find something.

hmmm, wonder if white russians could substitude for exercise.

magistramarla
04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the concern.
I feel much better now. Phyllis, it's weird, isn't it? They tell us that exercise will make us better, but it only makes us feel worse. Like you, walking is the only thing that is tolerable to me, and even with that, I have to take a long rest afterward. I'm trying to build up my strength for my trip this summer. The PT means well, but I don't think that they understand.
BTW, I'll happily substitute a white Russian for exercise - cheers!
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
04-04-2010, 12:46 AM
My Marla, that's a rapid heartbeat! Just to be proactive, I would let your PCP know about this. An eval by a cardiologist might be in order, along with a White Russian, of course.