PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins and Lupus

Myrna
09-12-2005, 03:11 PM
My daughter is 15 and was diagnosed with Lupus in 2003. We have her taking a lot of natural vitams like Calcium, Omega, B-Complex, Multi-vitamin, Vitamin E and Vitamin C. It seems that since we've been giving her these vitamins she's had a good reaction to a lot of her joint pain and tiredness. Does anyone out there take this vitamins or any vitamins at all? Is it helping? How long have you been on natural vitamins. Any information will help :)

Myrna

hatlady
09-12-2005, 04:08 PM
:) Hi Myrna;

I believe in vitamins, minierals, herbs and spices to help my lupus stay under control. My doc knows what I take, and says it is OK. In fact both my primary and my rheumy told me to take 1500 mg of calcium and 800 units of D every day.

I take...

2 tablespoons of ground flax seed - omegas plus fiber
1 tsp turmeric - has shown to be helpful in reducing inflamation and pain
1 tsp ginger - for my stomach
1/2 tsp cinamon - to help lower my cholesterol, some studies show it as effective as Rx drugs
1/2 tsp cocoa powder - hey, something in the mix needs to taste fantastic! plus good antioxidants

I've been doing that for at least a year, probably closer to 2 years

C
E
Fish oil - morning and evening
B complex
Magnesium
glucosamine complex
and ever other day I alternate the basic vitamins with a multi - i figure that rounds out the smaller amounts of trace vitamins I wouldn't get otherwise.

Some of those I've been doing for years - even before lupus. The fish oil has been about the last year or so.

I do think it all helps.

lupus volunteer
09-23-2005, 07:25 PM
I read the vitamins message posted by Myrna because Myrna is the name of lupus support group nurse in northern california.
I would like to point out most supplements are not effective except a few oriental herbs--"immortal herb extract"--that have been proven effective. Research was published five years ago in Taiwan. I used to teach alternative medicine and dietary supplements at community adult ed. If you would like to have further info, let me know.

hatlady
10-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Volunteer, I'd love to learn more about that research, is it available on the web somewhere?

What is "imortal herb extract"? Is is something commercially available, and is it compatible with plaquenil and other lupus meds?

kathyp
10-08-2005, 07:40 AM
It never hurts to take vitamins, your body just excretes what it doesn't use of the water soluble ones. Your body can be depleted of them during illness. Some of the lupus meds can deplete vitamins also. You should try to use special formultions that make the vitamins easier to disgest and more readily absorbed by your body.

Smiles,

Kathy

Cinnamon
10-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I never knew all that!

*Cinnamon runs off to make a stir fry w/ turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon (her favorite of course!)*

lupus volunteer
10-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Volunteer, I'd love to learn more about that research, is it available on the web somewhere?

What is "imortal herb extract"? Is is something commercially available, and is it compatible with plaquenil and other lupus meds?

I have rec'd some emails responding to my post.
I teach alternative medicine/supplements (adult community ed) I also volunteer at lupus foundation. There is a fix( I cannot use the words--cure, treat, diagnose, prevent--FDA rule). Lupus is one of many autoimmune disorder, like MS....etc.
Western mainstream medicine suppress immune system, saying lupus is overeacting, attacking our own body's immune system. Eastern(thousands of years experience) try to normalize/strengthen the immune system.
Supplements are effective if you use good quality (pharmacuetical grade). Store bought vitamins/supplements are low quality, may do more harm than good. In my class, I do demonstrations showing fish oils side by side, comparing good quality and regular drug store bought. You can see the difference (chemical reaction) in front of your eyes---amazing.
I reply to one email--I don't want to tell you the name right now. The reason---America is the land of lawyers/lawsuits. If you go out and buy online or local store--you won't get the quality product that really "cure" what ails you. It may make things worse.
Please send me email at pronade@email.com I'll send you copies of my class handout as attachment to get you interested or understand why.
I have to get to know you before I recommend any product--I don't want to be sued. A dentist came to my class and became a true believer. They even went to China on vacation and bought other supplements and asked me. There is a lupus hospital in China using eastern and western treatment with good results. My experience is all autoimmune disorders are easy to fix.
I also travel across the country to teach--no cost to you. If you have enough people , say 10 or more, I can come to your city to present my workshop/class. It takes a whole day---a lot to talk about.
To start getting familiar with supplements--read the Consumer Reports May04 issue front cover report "dangerous supplements"
If you can find in your local library, read: Life science, Bioscience Biotechnology, Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine...etc.
Don't eat junk food, eat healthy, have a healthy lifestyle.

madthumbs
11-05-2005, 07:25 PM
You can develop dependancies on vitamins like the B family of vitamins which can also compete for absorbtion and block each other. Withdrawal can cause depression, and B-deficiency either by diet or lack of ability to absorb seems to be a common denominator in mental illness.

I suggest eating as healthy as you can and if you feel you need supplements use whole food supplements that you know aren't harming you instead of chemically derived vitamins. Eat more raw/ unprocessed foods. The more "old fashioned" the better.