PDA

View Full Version : LES and High Elevations

Renan
03-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Buddies!

Next July I'm traveling to Chile with my Girlfriend (She's got LES) and we're planning to Ski! But I'm afraid the high elevation (3.000m - 9800ft) causes any trouble to her.

Do you know about problems with Lupus and High Elevations? Is there any problem?

How about the airplane? Is there any problem traveling by plane? (I suppose not, but I wnat to be sure!)

Thank you very much, guys!

the wingless one
03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Renan, Full disclosure I am NOT a doctor or anything like it! But I did look into high elevations and lupus a little bit recently when I was debating whether or not to go on a ski trip recently. A couple years ago we went to Mammoth (in CA) for skiing and afterward I had a really bad flare. The doctors didn't necessarily think the two were related but it did spook me and keep me off the slopes since then. If your girlfriend already has high blood pressure from the lupus then the high elevations *could* theoretically make it worse. I also had horrible altitude sickness but that was probably unrelated to the lupus...I think...

Has she been in high elevations recently? I'm sure everyone reacts differently. I'd say go on the trip but have some kind of Plan B in case she starts to feel worse during the trip and above all make sure the whole trip is not too exhausting for her. I always feel a little bit sick during trips because of the stress of traveling, time changes, carrying heavy bags around, not sleeping well, eating well, etc...the more you can do to minimize all those things the better I'm sure it will be.

Hope I wasn't too much of a downer, I definitely think you should and can have a really fun trip lupus or no lupus =)

SandyR
03-24-2010, 07:09 AM
It might be a good idea for your girlfriend to ask her doctor if they have any concerns or medical suggestions for her about this trip.