PDA

View Full Version : husband want to discontinue treatment



geary38
09-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a rather wierd situation, my husband was diagnosed with lupus this year after a heart attack. We think the flare was caused by extreme stress at work (he is in the navy, and his boss was a major dork).

He was taken off the ship and put on medical hold while they were doing tests and finally diagnosed with SLE. and was told to go to a rhuematologist. While waiting the 2 months for the appointment he started to feel better and was doing all the workouts he could do before (he is a mega fit person) so he went to the appointment with the expectation that the rhuematologist would just be a formality.

However when he went she took his ANA and it was elevated and felt his joints which were swollen, he had been in pain but nothing he wasn't working through, as he has always had arthritis in his knees anyway. So she told him he was experiencing a flare, and it was so bad that he could get out of the navy in 2 weeks if he wanted, as he didn't want to get out she told him she was going to put him on Chemo injections (Methotrexate) for 5 months, she also has him on Prednisone, plaquenil,Methocarbmol and folic acid.

After he went on this he couldn't workout anymore, and felt worse than he did when he wasn't taking anything, when he went back two weeks later to be tested she told him his ANA test was negative and that he was in remission, but she still wants him to continue with the chemo injections, and all the other stuff.

My husband thinks the woman is a quack and just wants money, and as staying on this regime will seriously affect his career (including messing up an assignment to Japan), he wants to tell her to ease him off all the medication she put him on and just deal with the aches (not heart pain or anything though)if he can, and take each day at a time. So here is my question what are the opinions of the experienced people here to my husband?

Hoping you can help with some words of wisdom, thankyou

mviceroy
09-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I've always been a big fan of second opinions, so if I were your husband, I get a second opinion. I also feel that you have to find a doctor that will listen to you and has to be extremely knowledgeable in their field. When I tell my Rheumatologist, if I feel worse or better, he takes the time to figure out what's going wrong and how to fix it. If he has to change medications, he does it till I'm feeling better. The most important thing is that he listens to what I'm saying.
For help in finding a good Rheumatologist, I subscribe to the castle connelly book for the best doctors in America, you can find it at www.castleconnolly.com

I hope that helps.

Mitch
09-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi geary38! Oh, I would definitely get a second opinion! The sooner the better since, you have to taper off prednisone. It's not good to just stop. Also, why is he on chemo injections - does your husband have organ involvement? I always thought it wasn't necessary unless there is organ involvement. Just my personal opinion, but I would get to see another rheumy asap before you stop anything. But if that's nearly impossible, I wouldn't think stopping any lupus meds (except the pred.) would be so earth shattering. My first priority would be the heart issues and keeping up with those meds., etc... until this is worked out. I usually find my hospital makes very good referral suggestions.

Mitch