PDA

View Full Version : Did Louisa May Alcott have Lupus?

abbasgirl
03-10-2010, 03:00 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/2009/11/15/862285/alcott-was-jo-but-there-was-nothing.html
This 1870 portrait of Louisa May Alcott shows a butterfly rash on her face, prompting speculation she suffered from lupus.

Although Alcott and her doctors believed the mercury-laden calomel she was dosed with for typhoid caused the health problems that began to plague her in her late 30s, Reisen includes speculation by modern medical professionals that Alcott may have suffered from lupus, citing the telltale butterfly rash on her face in an 1870 portrait.

magistramarla
03-10-2010, 01:40 PM
That's interesting. Back then, they would just clump symptoms under something that they already understood. My mother's family talked about the "family curse" of Arthritis. Looking back at the symptoms that I saw, even in Great-Aunts and Great-Uncles, who were contemporaries of Louisa, I'm sure that there were AI issues running rampant in that family. Docs back then just didn't have a clue.
Marla

Saysusie
03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
That is very interesting! I agree, Marla, that they dumped everything into what they knew back then and they were also noted for dismissing anything that did not fit into what they knew!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

busymom3
03-12-2010, 09:13 PM
That is very interesting. I sometimes wonder how the men and women with autoimmune issues dealt with their pain before there was a name. My grandmother took a nap everyday. Everyday. And she had 8 kids runs around, but she had to sleep. I wish that I could talk to her about it.