PDA

View Full Version : question aboat negative blood work and butterfly rash

michellemom1us
09-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Hello,
Three questions.
My daughter who is 14 has many of the symptoms for lupus and her non specific inflamation tests come back very high, but her specific blood lupus markers come back negative. Can you have lupus and have your ANA be negative? Or can it be negative and then later turn out to be positive?

Also, on the butterfly rash. When my daughter has a flare up her face gets very red along her nose and under her eyes, but it doesn't have a raised rash. Is this still the butterfly rash? Thank you for anyone who can answer. Michelle

ClaireMacl
09-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Quite a few Lupus sufferers have a negative ANA. My dad was negative for a few years, yet highly symptomatic. A good rhumy will look at the symptoms, not just the bloods.

Best of luck,

Claire x

marrickard
09-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi, I just seen your post... I know how frustrating this can be on you.

I also had a neg. ana result..It could sometimes take years before it shows itself positive. The only way to find and answer right now whether or not it is lupus..is to seek help from a dermotologist or a surgeon.

See if they can possibly do a punch biopsy of the area.

I was only truely diagnoise after my biopsy. It was called DLE which is lupus of the skin. If she does break out on just her face be generous with the sunscreen, 50spf even if there is no sun. If not covered in the sun it can scar or leave discoloration which is what i am facing with right now. DLE rashes can change forms, 1 month it can be dime size flat and red, couple months later it can almost look like a bulls eye and become beet red and raised. One day they itch one day they dont. Lupus is a very mysterous disease that has many changing forms that can act like something totally different. I hope some of this info helped best of luck with you and your daughter.

michellemom1us
09-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. My daughter has other symptoms of lupus which include the lung and heart complications. She also has protein in her urine. She is being seen by a pediatric rhuem. doc and also a prediatric neph. Since she tested negative two different times they have been trying to figure out what is wrong with her. They tried her on colchicine, but that wasn't helping with the flare ups. Right now she is being treated with prednisone while she is having a flair and using Cozaar and an ace inhibitor for kidney protein. Thanks, Michelle