View Full Version : can pesticides affect your lupus
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
hi everyone i was just wondering if anyone knows if pesticides can affect lupus i have had pest problem and i have tried many pesticides like surface sprays and mortein pest bombs but since we did this i have not felt so well i am nauseas and aching and extremely dizzy and fatigued i just need to know if this is also something i should avoid any help would be grateful hugs kim l
03-02-2010, 03:29 PM
i am so sorry to hear that you have hit yet another obstacle...they seem to follow you around. I can't be of any help to you about pesticides. I don't spray the inside of my house, but i do put a spray around the outside perimeters. This is an interesting question, and i look forward to learning again.
hope you are feeling ok,
I have found that over the years I have become sensitized to certain chemicals. Mostly solvents like paint thinner and gasoline. I used to handle solvents in my daily job and I believe they could have been an environmental factor that triggered my SLE. This, granted is a theory, but I can tell you without a doubt that if I get get gas or thinner on my skin I will without fail go int a bad flare. There have been studies involving various chemicals and their possible role in autoimmune diseases. Some seem very clear cut and others are rather ambiguous. Personally, I believe certain chemicals can play a role in triggering Lupus, but that's only my opinion. The only thing I know that could be considered fact, are my own flares caused by sensitivity and exposure to solvents. As far as pesticides, it's possible they could have a negative effect on Lupus specifically, but I don't know for sure.
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I believe in one of Daniel Wallaces's book (Lupus or Fibromyalgia) it discusses sensitivities to chemicals, solvants, etc. I do believe it and and will. I would have someone else in your household spray on the exterior of the house and just stay away from the pest control chemicals. I react to the toxins in the "new carpet" smell. It makes me seriously ill.
I hope you feel better soon.