PDA

View Full Version : Question about a friend

ritzbit
02-26-2010, 06:12 AM
My friend is being tested for lupus now and one of his big medical problems he's had since he was little is blackouts. Can blackouts be associated with lupus?

debbie-b
02-26-2010, 06:22 AM
I have not heard about black outs with lupus yet, but I think it is possible, because I have severe dizziness and feel alot of times like passing out.

Debbie

ritzbit
02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
From what he's said to me is that it doesnt usually last long he just gets really dizzy and his head hurts and then he'll just blackout. They'll done MRI's and that kinda stuff but never found anything. And he's been having bad joint problems I think recently so they're doing blood work looking for lupus or some kind of arthritis. I dont know anyone who has lupus and to have one of my best friends tell me he's being tested for it I was just kind of shocked.

mountaindreamer
02-26-2010, 09:26 PM
i imagine that was a though shock for you...if your friend does have lupus, you will be able to offer him a tremendous amount of assistance. I hope he does not have any auto immune disease.

I too am not aware of problems with actually blacking out, but lupus can be very individualized.

How is school going?

Nonna
02-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi, I think your friend should ask about epilipesy (sp) and check out for inner ear disorders. I can't remember the name. But that was one of the things they checked me out for. I had petite mal as a child. So I thought that might be something to look into.

Hope this helps,
Nonna

Angel Oliver
02-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Oh im sorry to hear about your friend Ritz and hope he gets the right care soon.Not sure about this one.Nonna could be on the right road,maybe ear,epilepsy,but i dont know.Could be many things but as long as he goes and gets to the doctor for a check up they will hopefully find out.I know you said other tests have'nt found anything,but if he is having black outs they wont just leave that,they will have to do more and thorough checks.Hope you are ok too.Let us know how he gets on.
Love
Amanda.xx

ritzbit
02-27-2010, 07:56 PM
I know he's had a lot of things checked into already I think but Im not sure what. He's just been a really good friend to me lately so I just dont want to hear that he has any kind of problem with him. I know how much it sucks and I dont want my friend to have to deal with it too =/

I've been ok lately. I just kind of said to hell with it when it came to school lately becuz it was just stressing me out to much and I just needed a break from all the stress. Other than a lot of stress I've actually been feeling a lot better. The stress is making me sooo tired, like way more than usual, but its nothing compared to how crappy I felt a few weeks ago lol

Anywho, I think he said he'll know how his blood tests were sometime soon soo I guess that will be sometime this next week unless they ran some that take awhile. Thanks for the ideas and info.

capncrunch
02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
i'm pretty sure blackout has nothing to do with lupus because i read almost everything about it, since i spend like a week in a half in the hospital.

Faith
02-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Ritz,

It does have something to do with Anti-phospholipid Syndrome which runs with Lupus. APS is a coagulation disorder and tests are usually ran by a hematologist. MRIs on me came back "normal." I want to say they are Beta Glycoprotein IGG and IGM? I had the same and take aspirin. I would highly suggest he get a referral to a hematologist and ask about APS. Once a year, he will need to go in for a aspirin resistance test to make sure he has not become resistant if he does have APS. APS can cause pulmonary and brain aneurysms. Push him to see a good hematologist as well. It is not something you want to mess around with. Hopefully, everything will come back normal.

Keep us updated.

Faith

ritzbit
02-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I've also read sooo much about lupus already as well and haven't read anything that would have to with blackouts either. They aren't testing him for lupus becuz of the blackouts though they're testing becuz of other problems including really bad joint pain. I'll mention that to him though and see if any of his doctors have ever thought of that to look for that becuz of all his normal MRI's and such. Thanks for the suggestion I will pass it on to him.

lisa33167
03-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi, I'm new here but wanted to add something that may be useful. After a lifelong battle with dizziness & fainting, I finally got a doctor to take it seriously last year.

I had a HUTT - head up tilt table test, some call it a tilt table test, this diagnosed me with Neurocardiogenic syncope & orthostatic intolerance, which is an ANS - autonomic nervous system disorder and part of the central nervous system, which can be associated with lupus :) When I faint, my heart stops & bp tanks to nothing because I have heart problems now also.

I just found out last week that I had 8/11 markers for Lupus, so I'm learning all I can and just read that on the Lupus Foundation of America's website.

May want to mention to your friend to ask the dr for one.

DrinkofWtr
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I think it is possible to have a temporary or permanent memory loss, but I don't know about blackouts. I assume you are referring to a "blackout" like alcohols have.

mountaindreamer
03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
hi ritz,

i was just wondering if your friend had heard anything about his test results? please keep us posted.

ritzbit
03-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I asked him just yesterday and he hadn't heard anything yet. Hopefully soon. Don't most tests take about a week? I guess I cant assume that though becuz I dont know what specific tests they were running.

And by blackouts I mean more like fainting. He calls them blackouts becuz he blacks out lol He said he gets dizzy and I think said his head starts to hurt and thats how he knows its about to happen.

magistramarla
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
If his head pain is concentrated around his ears along with the vertigo, he might want to ask about Meniere's Disease.

ritzbit
03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I've never even heard of that, what is it?

magistramarla
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
It's an inner ear problem, causing ringing in the ears, a feeling of fullness in the ears, vertigo (dizziness) and gradual hearing loss. I was diagnosed with it in 1999, long before the AI stuff showed up. Now my new rheumy thinks that it is connected - she called it autoimmune inner ear disease.
I just threw the idea out there in case it could be the reason behind his dizziness.
Marla

lisa33167
03-08-2010, 06:46 AM
dizziness, a "black hole" type feeling, sometimes nausea, weakness; shaky feeling (kind of like a sugar low) and a foggy feeling is what I've experienced and other times I just pass out with no warnings - I've suffered all kinds and described them to my drs, they don't seem to make a difference to them

I had a tilt table test in the hospital which showed my blood pressure and heart plummet for unknown reasons - they said it was a dysfunction of my autonomic nervous system.
The TTT can show possible causes of dizziness fainting & blackouts, so it's worth mentioning to your friend to have just to check out if he has any ANS problems :)

ritzbit
03-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Well he doesnt have lupus but they wanted to do more tests? but he said he doesnt want to do them. soo lol

mountaindreamer
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
why doesn't he want to to further testing?

it could be something simple that can be treated and cured.

hope he will reconsider.

ritzbit
03-12-2010, 02:02 PM
I think he's just getting annoyed with the idea that they know whatever it is and then its not that. But thats just speculation. I dont know if he's planning to get it looked into further or not. I hope he does too.