PDA

View Full Version : My feet hurt

scubagramplit
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I havn't been on for a little while, I do miss all of you. Any way, the last couple of days I have noticed that my feet hurt a little bit and one had a bruise on the side of it, no big deal at the time, today the one foot that hurt a little bit now hurts pretty good to the point it is affecting how I walk and the other one shows that the bruise is getting better but I feel that it is starting to hurt now also. I have been tapering on my prednisone and am down to 16mg from 20mg. Has anybody experienced any thing like that?

Faith
02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I am not on prednisone. Last Summer I had what looked like a bruise on top of my foot; kept getting bigger and darker and it hurt to walk. I was told to elevate it in a recliner and stay off of it. Funny though, I think the dr said it may have been vasculitis. I thought it may be a clot due to Anti-phospholipid anti-body syndrome or vasculitis. I stayed off of it and, eventually, it went down. Maybe I was lucky?

I would definately get into the doctor and check it out. It could be serious. Did you find a local rheumy? I think the last time we chatted; you were looking for someone local. I hope you found someone you like. Keep us posted and take care.

God Bless,

Faith

Isaiah 40:31

magistramarla
02-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi Jim,
Are your toes cold, too? Raynaud's could be a possibility.
Good to see that you're alive and kickin'.
Hugs,
Marla

the wingless one
02-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi, Not sure at all if this is what you're dealing with but whenever I have *flares* I tend to have a lot of joint pain in my extremities, especially my feet (and hands). It may be related to you tapering the prednisone, maybe it's your body telling you to slow down? Please keep us posted, I will pray for you!

scubagramplit
02-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Thank you all for the advice and support, God bless you. I have not found a rheumy local as of yet, I have been waiting for my next doctor appointment to get a referal to a doctor in Sacramento to a doctor that Bonus mom suggested, doctor wiesner, she said he was pretty good. I have to drive 4 hours one way to my doctor now which is worth it to have a doctor that understands what I am going through, unfortunatly though, he is 4 hours awat and he is not open on fridays for me to even call in to get some advice. I will see how it is going tomorrow and if it is not any better I will call his office anyway and talk to the doctor on call and see what he says. It definetly is not getting any better, if anything I believe I am starting to feel it up in my legs a little bit. My toes do some time feel a bit cold but no discoloration or anything like that. I guess as far as the prednisone taper goes the last two times I tried the taper I started noticing problems when I got down to 16mg and below and I am at 16mg now, now that I think about it this all started about monday which is when I started feeling the feet pain. I am also noticing that my joints are starting to get achy now also in my hands and the pain I mentioned earlier in my legs is aroung my knee areas. Boy, these chats are good for getting around to self diagnosis haha. It realy is disheartening as I am sure all of you know having to go through all this while knowing that I am the sole provider for my family and I need to keep working to support us all. OK, enough of the boo hooing. My family is the one thing that keeps a smile on my face and keeps me going, my imediate family and my WHL family. Thank you all. Jim.

mountaindreamer
02-26-2010, 10:21 PM
hi scubagramplit,

so nice to hear from you again. I hope you are doing ok.

i don't have bruises on my feet, but i certainly go through periods where walking is extremely painful. Where is your pain? mine is on the bottom of the foot, close to the toes. I also have problems with pain in the small connective tissue on the top of my foot at the ankle.

when this happens, i try to stay off of them as much as possile, and i always wear comfortable shoes with lost of cushion.

scubagramplit
02-27-2010, 12:47 AM
mountain dreamer, feet hurt at the balls and the heal mostly, I feel pain around my knees/lower thighs, my wrists, fingers, and joints in my hands. Yes, I have been away for awhile, busy working, getting to the end of this semester and graduation will be on the twelth of March, I am really hoping that this will go away but realisticly I know that it won't. I will just have to bear through it for now and hope that I can get in to see someone next week. You take care. Jim.

Angel Oliver
02-27-2010, 05:24 AM
So nice to see you back here,but im sorry you are hurting.Just to say my toes have been sore,but to me your symptoms sound like Raynaurds/fibro or maybe RA,but i am no doctor lol.Hope you feel better soon.
Love
Amanda.xxxx

scubagramplit
02-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks amanda.

So nice to see you back here,but im sorry you are hurting.Just to say my toes have been sore,but to me your symptoms sound like Raynaurds/fibro or maybe RA,but i am no doctor lol.Hope you feel better soon.
Love
Amanda.xxxx

Faith
02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Jim,

Are the red areas warm to touch? That would indicate vasculities. Otherwise, I think it's because you are either tapering or fibromyalgia. I get pain in my feet from fibro; but it's different from vasculities as the latter is red, swells and looks really ugly.

I have found the most comfortable shoes ever with lots of cushion and support. They are similar to crocs but at a fraction of the cost when on sale at Landsend. They are called trellos and are actually nicer looking than crocs. They had them clearanced for 7.99 about a month ago. I have three of them in different colors.

Keep us updated and let us know how you are feeling. I am praying the pain will go away. Hang in there and let us know about Dr. Weisner in Sacramento. I have heard he is very good.

God Bless,

Faith

scubagramplit
03-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks Faith, I got ahold of my dr. in Oregon, he is concerned about the pain in my feet, I have an appt. scheduled for monday the 8th. and thanks for the info on dr Wiesner, I hope he works out, I should get a referal from my dr. on monday. Take care and God bless. Jim.

laurid8967
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi there -
OK, Im glad the last post was that the doc wanted to see you. It does seem that your symptoms asre increasing as you taper - which is happening to me at this time as well, and has masny times in the past. In any case, pain and bruising in the leg/foot area does seem to warrant an exam by doctor. I am in NO WAY trying to scare you, but ppl with lupus are susceptible to blood clots, and are very commonly seen in the lower legs. Im sure you are fine, but I have to say Im glad you are going to be seen. It stinks but we cant take chances with this disease, and Id rather see you have a wasted trip than something serious be going on and NOT to be seen.
Please let us know how you make out?? Im praying you just have to go up a bit on you r prednisone to get the flare under control...
Take care
Lauri

Faith
03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Jim,

Keep us updated and let us know how you are doing.

God Bless,

Faith

mountaindreamer
03-03-2010, 08:49 PM
hi jim,

i don't take steroids, but your explanation is very similar to many of the stories that i hear here at whl...people tappering steroids, and pain returning and even escalating. Have you considered talking to your dr. about another treatment option?

Like Faith said, i also find that my shoes are crucial to reducing my foot pain. I wear thick cushioned house shoes and soft, loose-fitting daily shoes....anything tight just sends unbearable pain into my feet and up my legs. So, treat yourself to some new shoes...

My rheumy always does a pressure point test on the balls of my feet, and each time i want to hit her (not really), but it always hurts when she presses my feet.

I guess this is a reality of our lives with lupus....so, my answer is.....wear comfortable shoes. This crazy disease means we simply treat the symptoms.

scubagramplit
03-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey there dreamer, thanks for the info, it is kinda interesting about the loose fiting shoes, my feet actually felt better at work when I put my boots on, however they are not cheap boots at all, I keep them well oiled up and they are well broken in, made by whites boots, just the same after taking them off at the end of the day, wow, now my feet hurt, and to top it all off yesterday evening my gout decided to rear its ugly head in my big toe of my left foot, no rest for the wicked I guess. I have a dr. appt. on monday to find out what is going on. My wife got me some soft gel insert for my regular shoes today and that does seem to help but it does not cure the problem, waaaaaaa, my feet hurt, Oh well, we must keep moving forward. Have a good evening and God bless, Jim.

Faith
03-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Some great ideas and suggestions from mountain dreamer.

For a gout cure, go to your local grocery and buy 3-4 cans of cherry pie (reduced sugar) filling. Eat 2 cups per day and it will go away. My hubby has gout and when it flares, the cherry pie filling takes care of it or buy cherry capsules. I hope you feel well soon. Keep us updated.

God Bless,

Faith

magistramarla
03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
The softest working shoes that I know of are made by a company in San Antonio, called SAS shoes. I think that they are available everywhere. My Mom-in-law bought them in Florida, and I've seen them here in Ca. When Mom was alive, we used to buy them for her at the factory store in SA - much cheaper.
Marla

Nonna
03-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Just a quick note, a muscle relaxer, also helps with foot pain. Sensible shoes during the day and themuscle relaxer at night. That works best for me

nonna

Matthew 11:25-30