PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on neutrophils

cheryl_v
02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
ok, had blood work done and don't go back to docs with my result sheet until next month. all normal except neutrophils, a little higher than normal. the normal range is 40-74, mine is 75. not too high, but still above normal. all I could find was it's part of the white blood cells. the rest made no since to me. just looking for info so to understand, I like knowing before going into docs so I know what they are talking about. thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

CV

rob
02-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Hi Cheryl,

Neutrolphils are the most common type of white blood cell in the human body and are a central part of our immune system. Their main job is to fight off infection. A low count is called Neutropenia. A person with a low count is more susceptible to infection. A high neutrophil count is called Neutrophilia. The most common cause of Neutrophilia is a bacterial infection, but it can also be caused by acute inflammation somewhere in the body. In the context of Lupus, a high count is an indicator of active inflammation/disease activity, usually during a flare. In short, it can be a way of estimating just how active Lupus is at any given time.

Rob

cheryl_v
02-23-2010, 07:48 AM
ok, thank you for putting in simple understanding terms. rheumy thinks I may have psoratic arthritis, so maybe a flare from that then. this was my yearly blood work, not normally done by rheumy. hubby's job offers it free once a year to employee's and their spouses. so I take it to docs every year. they try to explain things, but sometimes the way they do does not help any. thanks again, now I will know what they are talking about and will not feel lost.

CV:cute:

gina
02-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Mine also have been high than go back to normal. my doctor said it was either the inflamation in my joints or a infection which i had no signs of. Its ashame that dr's are so busy they don't sit us down to explain everything on test results even if we think its important to know.

rob
02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Mine also have been high than go back to normal. my doctor said it was either the inflamation in my joints or a infection which i had no signs of. Its ashame that dr's are so busy they don't sit us down to explain everything on test results even if we think its important to know.

It's sad isn't it? It took me all of 2 minutes to explain it and I'm not even a doctor, AND I've got brain fog big time.

mountaindreamer
02-23-2010, 10:37 PM
even with "big time brain fog", rob, you rock....thanks to you for everything that you give to us.

cheryl_v
02-24-2010, 08:23 AM
yes, sad and rediculous. like you said Rob, took only a few minutes. that's not too much to ask at the docs. also you put in simple plain terms, why they try to make it sound complex. that doesn't make them look any smarter like they seem to think, just rude. that is why I came here, knew I get faster and better answers than at docs. now ready for their medical jumbo jargin, lol. Thanks again Rob.

CV