PDA

View Full Version : Marla's Rheumy Today

magistramarla
02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
OK, so I've decided that I do like my new rheumy. She's not as fabulous as the one in Texas, but she'll be great for the three years that we live here.
She was delighted at my blood tests. I've brought my vitamin D level up from 19 to 85!!! She told me to stop the mega-doses, but to continue to take 1000 to 2000 IU daily. All of the rest of the things that she tested for were perfect. Jeff is taking a bow here because he prepares my little bowl of medicines and supplements for me every morning, and he makes sure that I get plenty of every recommended supplement there is.
The doc renewed all of my prescriptions and is leaving the Plaquenil and MTX dosages right where they are, since it all seems to be working for me.

I told her about my upcoming overseas trip, so she wrote a prescription for me to have PT until I go, to try to build up my strength and improve my gait so that I can walk in those archaeological sites. She also wrote a prescription for a lightweight wheelchair for me to travel with. We'll see if the insurance co. will go for it. She made me promise to only use it for traveling - never here around home.

She still thinks that I might have a degenerative disc problem, so I'm going to get scheduled for an MRI. She agreed that I do have some symptoms of Raynaud's, but she doesn't want to add any more meds. She wants me to take an aspirin a day and to sleep in socks, and with a heating pad if necessary. She also agreed with me that my diagnosis of Meniere's 12 years ago was probably AIED, and was most likely the first indication that I had autoimmune issues. She mentioned that if someone had done bloodwork back then, they probably would have found some antibodies floating around in there.

So, I think that I've gotten lucky and found a good rheumy again. I'll see my eye doc tomorrow, so that report comes tomorrow night.
Hugs to all,
Marla

Serenity81
02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
That's great news! It's so refreshing to share stories about good docs who actually listen to us and help us =)

SandyR
02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
That is wonderful news! Congrats!!!!

Faith
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Marla,

That's great news. I am glad to hear you found a doctor you like; makes a world of difference.

Faith

pandagirl
02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Sounds like a keeper.....I hope I had as much luck today with my Alexis.