PDA

View Full Version : MRI results

ritzbit
02-17-2010, 09:37 AM
So they finally got back to me and said nothing is wrong with my brain. Which is good and bad. Becuz now they're just going to tell me Im depressed when IM NOT and Im going to just keep trying to explain that to them and they arent going to listen. So now what.

Serenity81
02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Aw, sweetie, I can understand your frustration. It *is* a wonderful thing that your scan came back clear, but it is so frustrating that nothing showed up... I think it's hard for anyone not dealing with the things we do to understand that odd need to have *SOMETHING* come back to show something on a test. The need for validation for us runs deep, especially after having so many doctors insist to us that it's all in our heads or we're just depressed when that is clearly not the case. Please, don't let this minimize the symptoms you're experiencing. Keep talking to your doctors and let them know how you feel... insist that they take you seriously, you deserve to be listened to.

Faith
02-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Hang in there. There has to be something going on. Have they completed a EEG? That was another test after the MRI. I would check into it with a neuro. I hope you are having a better day.

God Bless,

Faith

ritzbit
02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
whats an EEG? I just want them to find something so they dont say that Im just depressed. becuz Im not

magistramarla
02-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Ritzbit,
If I were you, I would point out those awfully swollen hands that you have, and ask "Does depression cause this?" You obviously have something causing inflammation, so don't let the docs "cop out" with blaming it on depression.
Hugs,
Marla

Faith
02-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Ritzbit,

An EEG is defined as follows:

An electroencephalogram ( EEG) is a test that measures and records the electrical activity of your brain. Special sensors (electrodes) are attached to your head and hooked by wires to a computer. The computer records your brain's electrical activity on the screen or on paper as wavy lines. Certain conditions, such as seizures, can be seen by the changes in the normal pattern of the brain's electrical activity.

Why It Is Done
An electroencephalogram (EEG) may be done to:

Diagnose epilepsy and see what type of seizures are occurring. EEG is the most useful and important test in confirming a diagnosis of epilepsy.
Check for problems with loss of consciousness or dementia.
Help find out a person's chance of recovery after a change in consciousness.
Find out if a person who is in a coma is brain-dead.
Study sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy.
Watch brain activity while a person is receiving general anesthesia during brain surgery.
Help find out if a person has a physical problem (problems in the brain, spinal cord, or nervous system) or a mental health problem.

It is typically done with an MRI or neurological work-up. Maybe check into it? Keep us posted.

Faith

magistramarla
02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Ritzbit,
I had an MRI today, and I was lying there thinking of you. Once again, all they gave me were earplugs, so I got to listen to the machine do its "techno music". Mine was for my lower back, since the doc wants to blame my knee pain and neuropathy on a degenerative disc problem. It will be interesting to find out if I do have a problem with my discs, but I still think that it all comes from the AI issues.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
02-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Hmm. I dont know if that'd help. I was thoroughly convinced I was having some inflammation in my head. But to tell the truth I'd been feeling better for a day or so around the MRI but I figure it still would have shown something funny on it even if I was feeling better that day. I dont know what was causing my weird problems.

You should have asked if you could jam to music! lol I hope your results come back ok

mountaindreamer
02-23-2010, 10:43 PM
hi ritzbit,

i remember reading that the MRI is more likely to find a problem only when we are in the middle of a flare. That is why most of us get "normal" results from our MRI's....it does not mean that nothing is going on, it only means that the test did not detect it at that particular time.

like marla said....ask the dr. how depression can cause all of your other symptoms.