PDA

View Full Version : Haemophillia appt today - bruising

mabeljane
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi, sorry me again! I had an appt today to look at blood results from December. I expected it to be straight forward, as the consultant said that he thought that my bruising was nothing to worry about. When I saw him today he said the the platelets were abnormal (?!?!) I asked what it meant, and he said that usually you are born with it, or its due to a new med, as I hadnt had any new meds since the methotrexate in July he wasnt sure. He said he was going to take the case to the multi-discipliniary board and would write to me. Any ideas what this could mean? Still waitng for diagnosis re lupus/mixed connective tissue disease. Diagnosed with RA in July 2009:unsure:

Saysusie
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Abnormal platelet counts or abnormally shaped platelets are sometimes associated with bleeding disorders and other bone marrow diseases, such as leukaemia. A Low number of platelets may occur persons with an autoimmune disorder (such as lupus). Since Lupus is a disease where the body attacks its own organs, this disease can cause the destruction of platelets. Low platelets commonly causes easy bruising or bleeding and when this occurs, it may be due to an inherited disease called von Willibrandís disease. While the platelets may be normal in number, their ability to stick together is impaired. Many cases go undiagnosed due to the mild nature of the disease; however, the more severe form can be devastating.
Since you are experiencing bruising, I am assuming that your platelet count is low. High platelet count has its own set of symptoms that I won't burden you with right now as this may not be your issue.
Please let us know how your case goes with the multidisciplinary board! I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusue

mabeljane
02-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Saysusie, Thank you for the explanation. I have always bruised very easily, the slightest bump andf I get a big bruise, when taking bloods it causes them too. I was sent for trests in December as my GP was becoming concerned. He did the test for von willibrands and that was clear. I did wonder if it had anything to do with lupus/mctd as the bloods still show nothing unusual. Will let you know when I hear, and thanks for you helpl

SandyR
02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
mabeljane -

I love your user nam and it's meaning to you. I was really close to my grandmother too and think that was a beautiful way to honor yours.
I don't have any answers for you and Saysusie covered it all for you anyway, but I wanted to tell you what I thought about your user name and also to ay that you have no reason to apologize ever on here for posting a question or concern or happy thought. We all do it. That's what this site is for, so please don't feel there is any reason to apologize when doing so.
Sandy

Saysusie
02-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi;
You are most welcome. And, yes, please let us know what you find out!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

Angel Oliver
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
MabelJane,

My Nana had the same name,lovely!! Saysusie explained it nicely.Im thinking of you and hope you hear something soon and find out what the doc finds out.Let us know and keep posting here.Welcome.

Love
Amanda.xxxxxxxxx

magistramarla
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi MJ,
A lot of us seem to bruise easily. Whenever I get blood taken, my whole arm would be bruised. It used to get my sweet students all upset when I would reach up to write on the board and they would see my arm. I also often find big bruises on myself and I have no idea where they came from. My DH always says "Don't look at me!" I truly think that it is just another of our many aggravating AI symptoms.
Let us know if your doc finds that it is anything else.
Hugs,
Marla

mabeljane
02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you for the replies. At the moment all other tests regarding lupus keep coming back normal. Still not sure about the last lot, as havent got results yet. Will let everyone know, thank you all for your help and kindness x

melly c
02-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Hello hun thanks for referring me to this site,
i do hope pray u get answers soon i know so how it is test normal and yet u feel so unwell.
lovely idea re username.
not nice see u bruising so easily good gp on ball as is rheumy.
meeting sounds fab casue emans hes seeking input for you to get firm answers.

so youve always bruised easily glad they picking up on this then seems through to me.
thks for pm by way love pikkie.
all best melly c