PDA

View Full Version : blame it on smoking

debbie-b
02-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Before I get started, let me say this, I know smoking is bad for your health.
That said. Is it right, fair, well founded or a sure reason, to blame everything on smoking?
As you can tell, I am a smoker.
But here is my problem. ALL symptoms, ailments, pain and complaints I have, my doc. will say " smoking causes this".
From so many of my friends here at WHL, I know that you have the SAME symptoms ect. and you are non smokers.
For instance, breathing problems ( shortness of breath), joint pain, low vitamin D, muscle pain, brain fog, nerve pain, raynauds,dizzyness ect.
But all I hear from my doctor is, " you wouldn't have these problems, if you would quit".
I think that is stretching it a little bit.
What do you think?
It would be good to know, when you answer, if you are a smoker or non smoker.

Thanks
Debbie

abbasgirl
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I think you're right in thinking that it's wrong to blame it all on smoking. I quit in 01 and I felt really good for a while after quitting. By 03 the symptoms I had been dealing with before were returning and much worse. I began to experience new symptoms.

I do believe smoking can make symptoms worse. As can caffeine and all the other things that aren't good for us. I've heard of and met doctors that have the opinion we can't blame everything on AI issues, but I've never heard of someone blaming it all on smoking. If only it were as simple as that, but sadly it's not.

magistramarla
02-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, I'm not a smoker, but I have every one of the symptoms that you mentioned. I didn't grow up in a house with a smoker either, and I married a non-smoker. Despite this, I had recurring bouts of walking pneumonia as a young teen and I have two kids with asthma. Go figure!
No, the doc can't blame it all on the smoking, but I bet that you would start to feel somewhat better if you do quit!
Hope this helps,
Marla

karenboss
02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
your Dr. doesn't sound very compasionate or caring -
I quite smoking in 1989 it was the hardest thing. I still occasionally have a dream about smoking and I wake up not sure if I smoke or not. Isn't that weird? after all this time -

Still you know you gotta quit - especially if you are having lung problems. I hope you will try -

gina
02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
My doctor said the same thing. two months ago i got into a really bad flare couldn't keep food in again. gi dr couldn't find anything wrong again said it was a flare. i quit smoking and with in days the flare stopped an i feel great with the lupus symptoms. my fibromaylia is killing me but the flare is gone and i rather have one thing going on than both like i do when in a flare. so try to quit if you can. i have had a cig here an there don't finish it an i feel great not going back to smoking and my chest feels great and breathing is better also. so if you can try and stop i have smoked for over twenty years and know how hard it is. but like all habits its a mind thing not a body thing our minds are stronger than our bodies so think postive about it. good luck

rob
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I've never smoked at all, and I have both SLE, and MS.

Rob

SandyR
02-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I've smoked and quit and smoked and quit. I have been smoke free for a couple of years. I've had doctors tell me my symptoms are from smoking or from being overweight and while I know that when I did smoke my symptoms are much worse than they are now, and that when I do lose weight I always feel better, I also know that neither one of these things seems to be the root of the problem since I get flares when I am not smoking. I think the doctors tell us that because it is an easier answer/solution than looking for the real root of the problem, but I agree that when I was smoking, my symptoms came more often/more intense.
Also, like Rob, my aunt with MS never smoked and still has MS.

debbie-b
02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your answers.

It is my pc who is riding me about the smoking, my rheumy just said " if you are ready to quit, you will".But he is smart enough to know, that tons of people have the same symptoms I have and they don't smoke.
I don't want to defend smoking, but I think the environment plays a large role in so many people now being diagnosed with lupus and MS. But if the government would admit that, they would have to clean up the environment, it's cheaper to blame it all on smoking.

The day will come, when I quit.:yes:

Debbie