PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Dad

rob
02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Hi everyone,

Well, I'm worried about my Dad. He has been not feeling well, and been having blood in his urine badly. He has a CAT Scan happening this morning, and I'm going to go do some of his grocery shopping for him. He has done that for me so many times, it's my turn to help him. He is having intermittent pain in the general kidney/bladder area, and has been told to stay off of his feet, and do nothing strenuous. It's his realistic no BS appraisal of things that really has me worried. He is 73, and a former smoker, and seems to think bladder cancer is a possibility. My sis, the nurse says that's a possibility, but not to jump to conclusions. Dad tends to be right about things more often than not, so I hope he's wrong. Please, keep him in your thoughts, and if you want, in your prayers. His name is easy to remember-Bob. He's Bob, I'm Rob so people don't get us mixed up. Anyway, I'm off to the store and to his house. Thanks for listening everyone.

Rob

BonusMom
02-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Oh Rob, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Blood in the urine is never good. I'm glad that he's seeking medical care and not doing the ostrich thing-if I do nothing, it'll go away.

Please know my thoughts are with your family. Keep us posted on how Bob's doing and take it slow at the store and running errands-especially since you're just getting over a flare yourself.

DrinkofWtr
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Rob,

So sorry to hear about you father. My Dad is real sick too. I can empathize with you. I do shopping for him sometimes when he feels really bad.

laurid8967
02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Rob -
Prayers being lifted for your Dad....could be just an infection, you know? Praying that its a simple issue and Dad is on the mend soon. And you...well...you are always in my prayers...Keep us posted if you feel up to it ok?
Stay steady
Lauri

Angel Oliver
02-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Oh Rob,

Bob is in my thoughts i am sorry he is going through this,you must be so worried i know. I hope its better news than you are expecting.You just know we are all here for you Rob.

love n hugs
Amanda.xxxx

pandagirl
02-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Oh Rob...hang in and stop stressing over something you can't control...easier said than done..and if I could only practice what I preach. Hopefully it is just something simple like stones or prostate. One of the dentists in my office is married to a urological surgeon and bladder cancer is very treatable compared to a few others. Hang in there, and stay positive... he is lucky to have a son like you to care about him so much.Thoughts and prayers....

Bonita
02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Rob i am so sorry to hear about your Dad's health. You will certinally be in my prayers as everyone on the web site is. I have a regular prayers list which i go through each morning when i have my daily devoations. Hang in there till there is something to worry about. Love and prayers Bonita

SandyR
02-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Rob,
I am sorry to hear about your dad. I will say prayers for him to feel well soon and for you not to have a bad flare from this stress and for you family to have the strength to handle whatever it is this situation is bringing to your future.
Sandy

magistramarla
02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi Rob,
Sorry to hear about your worries about your dad. Hopefully, it will turn out to be something mild and treatable.
Meanwhile, take good care of yourself and Bob and keep us updated.
Hugs to both of you,
Marla

debbie-b
02-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi Rob,

Just want to let you know, that I am thinking about you and your dad.
Hopefully it turns out to be nothing serious.
As for the prayers, it won't hurt to pray for Bob AND Rob.

Debbie

abbasgirl
02-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Oh Rob...((((Hugs))))

I'll be praying for your dad and your family. Keep us posted and take very good care of yourself too while you help out your father. That's so sweet that you both shop for one another.

luvpinkpeeps
02-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I am sorry to hear of your Dad's illness, I understand how it feels to want to help an ailing parent.

ashleybaby715
02-06-2010, 12:29 PM
sorry to hear about your dad.
i'll be sure to keep him in my prayers.

rob
02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone,

Dad had some tests done yesterday, but he won't get results until the first of the week. He has a CAT Scan on Monday as well. The good news right now is that whatever was bleeding stopped almost as quickly as it started. He's having pain in his right kidney area, and complaining that something "just doesn't feel right". He's really good about seeing the Dr. whenever something happens out of the ordinary. Right now he's going a bit stir crazy as he is a very active person, and is under Dr's orders to stay home and be inactive until we get this figured out. His passion is restoring antique cars, and he has two big projects he's working on right now, and it's driving him nuts not being able to do his favorite hobby.

So, there is definitely something gong on, but he's not doing badly today. His various appointments and tests are all scheduled and he'll be ready to go get it all done this coming week. Nothing else is going to transpire until then, so he's OK with taking ot easy and not worrying too much for now. And, having been a Marine, a college football player, and having a 28 year career in law enforcement, he's tough as nails, and doesn't get upset or stressed about much of anything. Anyway, that's what I know for now. Thank you, all of you for your kind words, support, and prayers.

Rob

Lala
02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi Rob,
Waiting for test results is the worst..we call it scanxiety around here...Take care and try to be patient, I pray that it will be something minor...((hugs))

Angel Oliver
02-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Thinking of you both Rob.Fingers crossed.

love
Amanda.xx

abbasgirl
02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Wow, I'd love to have even a little bit of your Dad's toughness and ability to not worry. He's very brave. It's easy to tell you love him very much and think highly of him.

What kind of cars is he restoring now? We have a close friend of the family that has that same passion. He restored an old 40 Ford two door sedan, a 56 Crown Vic, and is working on a 40 Chevrolet four door with suicide doors. That's to name a few. He's putting modern stuff in the Chevrolet. He's got a 39 Ford truck he hasn't gotten around to and a 63 Thunderbird. He always has plenty to keep him busy.

I will keep him and your family in my prayers. ((((Hugs))))

mountaindreamer
02-07-2010, 02:34 PM
hi rob,

you and your dad make a good team...you both do an excellent job of taking care of each other. I am thinking of you and your dad, and i will keep my fingers crossed that the test results indicate something that can be easily treated. You are right, something is astray, but the medical advancements are amazing.

Don't let him get too excited during the game tonight.

puzzled
02-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Hope the tests results are ok Rob. Thinking of you and your dad.

magistramarla
02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey Rob,
Yet another reason that I would love to meet you - I'm a fan of old cars, too. We bought a '63 Impala for our kids to drive to school - nicknamed "The Tank". Heather drove it well, and loved it. Hillary was a bit rough on it - she had two speeds - fast and stop. Tom killed it. Jeff had moved a hose to bypass an overheating problem until he had time to work on it. He went out of town on a TDY and warned Tom - local driving only. Tom called me in the middle of the night because the car had overheated and he had managed to coast it off the highway to park under the overpass. I took my son-in-law and went to rescue him. He and his buddy had picked up two girls. I got them all into the car to take them home. The SOL, Chris, thought that he was going to have to restrain me from killing my son when I found out that the girls lived on the other side of the city - 30 miles away!! The car was a total loss - he cracked the block. Two days later, the boy had a breakdown in my station wagon - luckily it just needed a new battery. A couple of days after that, he drove his Dad's Camero to school, went out to lunch with a buddy, and was T-boned. The boys were fine, but we had another total loss with the car. When Jeff got home, he said that it was a good thing that the Marines already had a claim on him, or he would be dead! Since then, Tom has managed to total his new Nissan 350Z and he's now driving my beloved Aurora (one of the last Oldsmobiles ever built), so I begin every conversation with him - "How's my baby? Have you wrecked her yet?"
After the Impala was gone, we bought a '94 Camero Z28 for the two youngest girls to drive. They were the envy of their friends - it was a gorgeous teal with T-tops. I even drove it for a while when Kayla moved home from college and needed a safer car to put the baby seat into, so I let her use my Aurora for a while. I had a blast coming out of the high school, taking the T-tops off, and roaring out of the teacher's parking lot with the Oldies station blaring. It definitely added to my "rep" with the teens.
My first car was a 1970 Torino with a 350 engine in it. I once had a drag race with the local policeman, and beat the police car. He was a good friend, and he wanted to see which car was better - I showed him! My cousin once restored a Model-T and I was thrilled to get to drive it in a parade once.
So, I've never been much of a girly-girl type. I'm more into sci-fi and cars than most women.
I hope that your Dad is feeling better and gets back to those cool cars soon!
Hugs to both of you,
Marla

rob
02-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Wow,

I didn't know that we have so many female motorheads here. Of course Marla, sci-fi and musclecars, for whatever reason, seem to be a common interest! You guys have owned some real classics. The first car Dad and I restored together was a 1957 Chevy BelAir 2 door hardtop we rescued from a farmers field here in Maine. It was a basket case that turned out beautifully. Not a real "original" restoration, it was a candy apple burgundy hot-rod that actually had an article made up about it in Hot Rod magazine back around 1985. Back then there was also a 68 Chevelle SS 396, and my first car, a 1969 Pontiac Trans-Am.

Lately, there was a fairly rare 1968 Dodge Polara, and our latest project, my 1972 Chevy Nova SS. Both were restored back to original showroom condition. But, Dad surprised us all with his latest project. He has dreamed of owning a Rolls Royce since he was a kid, and he surprised everyone when he bought a pristine 1972 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow back in November. Well, he managed to find some minor details that need attention on the Rolls, stuff that most people would not notice. So, we are learning the finer points of British luxury cars together. It's a big change from working on American musclecars, but it's fun, and it's one heck of a nice car to drive around town in.

Anyway, he's keeping busy on his computer, and not driving my mom totally nuts yet. Just one of those things that happens with a weekend in the way of finding out what's going on. The bleeding has not come back, but the discomfort is still there, so it could be better, and it could be worse. Just have to hurry up and wait. I'll let everyone know what we find out, when we know the various test results. Till then, my fingers are crossed.

Rob

wrightrs
02-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Rob, I'm keeping you and your Dad in my prayers.

SandyR
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM
hey Rob, how did it go with you dad's CT Scan? How are you today?

rob
02-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Sandy,

Dad had the Cat scan and a bunch of blood drawn, but there's no results yet. He has a couple more tests today. The bleeding has not come back, but the soreness is still there. As expected, he's going a little stir crazy. As for me, I've had some rough nights lately. Been having my usual insomnia, and night sweats, chills, and bad dreams when I do manage to finally nod off. Don't know what that's all about. I have another IV methylpred treatment coming up, not looking forward to that, but, it keeps the MS symptoms in check, so it's one of those things I just have to do.

Rob

Nonna
02-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Hey Rob,
My prayer are with you and your Dad. Y'all can ride in my 65 mustang convertible nay time you want.

may the Lord Bless you and watch over you both,
Nonna

Angel Oliver
02-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Thinking of you both Rob.

love
Amanda.xxxx

Bonita
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Hope and pray that everything is okay with your Dad. When i started dating my husband he had a 51 Ford convertable with and electric fuel pump that would shut off and he had to kick the floor boards to restart it. I sure wish we had that car now. Bonita of course that was in the early 60's

mountaindreamer
02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
hi rob,

do you know when you all will get the test results? I know the waiting is driving you crazy.

I am so sorry that you continue to deal with insomnia, nightmares, and everything else that is happening to you....i hope you and your dad can get back to your beautiful royals very soon.

Marla, i love your stories of your children. My daughter once ran into the back of a mercedes benz, and said "they can't expect you to pay attention all of the time." I was like....YES, they can.

Nonna....we keep finding common grounds....I once ran my little stang down the drag strip every week...drove the boys for me to beat them.

Rob,,,please take care. I am sending you tongs of gentle hugs.

rob
02-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Hi everyone,

We finally got some test results after a big logistical screw-up between the Dr. and the hospital that did the CAT Scan, and there is no conclusive answer as to what the problem is. Dad went in to get the results, but his Dr. had not recieved the test results even though they said that they did. Clueless. Dad is feeling OK, but not 100%. So, he's off for more tests again today. He's a bit frustrated. That's all for now.

Rob

Nonna
02-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Morning Rob,
my pcp office was the same last week. One day they had two reports, then next day they had 2 different ones; finally they had all 3. I kept reminding myself that patience is a virtue and will only lead to frustration if not practiced.
Remember that answer do come in time.
Prayers and cyber hugs continue for you both,
nonna
:yes:

remember to live Life to the best of your ability andfocus onthe good!

magistramarla
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Rob,
It's terrible that this is being drawn out so much for you and your Dad. Wasn't the digital age supposed to make it all more efficient?
I hope that he gets some answers soon, and that it is good news.
Hugs to both of you,
Marla

tiggerlishus - Heidi
02-15-2010, 02:21 PM
hay rob its been long time since i been on here so don't know how long ago you wrote this but hoping and wishing your dad better xxx

pandagirl
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I have no faith in the medical profession at all anymore....this is all you here. You have to be on top of everything..and then some. It is constant mistakes..and hopefully the kind where no one really gets hurt because of it. It is a scary state of affairs....and to think the government wants to step in and "fix it" hahahahahah.Laughable.

Saysusie
02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Dearest Rob;
I want to give you my sincerest apologies for being so late in joining in this thread. I was out of town and had no access to a computer. I hope you do not think that I was ignoring you or your request for prayers for your father. I would NEVER do such a thing!
I am so very, very sorry to hear that your Dad is not doing well. I am glad that the bleeding has stopped, but sorry to hear that the pain continues.
I know it is frustrating to wait for test results only to be met with a "Screw up!". What were the test results that you did get? I am sure that you are the best person to walk with him through all of these tests and re-tests and frustrations with doctors. You and your father have been there for one another since I've known you and he has helped you through so many difficult times. I can imagine how this must be very hard for you. Please know that both you and your father are in my prayers and that I am here for you!

Always
Saysusie

mountaindreamer
02-15-2010, 10:28 PM
hey rob,

so sorry this is dragging out. I am glad that the bleeding is stopped, and i hope you dad feels better each day.

abbasgirl
02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh Rob, so sorry they screwed up!

Thanks for keeping us posted.

laurid8967
02-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Oh gosh Rob -
How frustrating.....Im hoping you get some answers soon and that they are all good. Also hoping you are feeling ok - I know you said you have an IV Methhyl dose coming up. Hope that when you get it (or if youve gotten it) you feel its benefits soon....
Lauri

SandyR
02-16-2010, 01:07 PM
hey Rob - any new news? How are you and your dad? I hope you are both feeling well. Any answers yet?

rob
02-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Update-

Hi everyone,

Well, everything is OK. The bleeding was from a minor surgery dad had last year at the suggestion of his urologist to help with prostate issues. Apparently the scarring from this procedure is prone getting minor tears in older men, and will cause blood in the urine. Although alarming, it's not really dangerous. The important thing is that all the tests were clear of anything like cancer. So, we're breathing a sigh of relief. Dad is back to his usual self working on cars. Thank you all again for all your support, it made a real difference.

Rob

Bonita
02-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Great news Rob and i still will keep you and your family in my prayers. love Bonita

BonusMom
02-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Boo-rah! That is awesome news, Rob! I'm sure your family is greatly relieved. So glad that everything is fine.

Saysusie
02-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Wonderful news Rob and I was so happy to hear/read the relief in your post. I am sure that you and your family are filled with relief and am glad that your Dad is back to doing those things that he loves!!

So, how are you??? I hope that this stressful situation did not cause any adverse reactions for you. Take care of yourself and enjoy!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi Rob,
I'm so glad that it was a simple answer and nothing dangerous. Now you can concentrate on feeling better yourself and you and your Dad can get back to those neat old cars.
We're driving a Prius out here in California, so I'll be thinking about you two driving around in that cool old Rolls!
Hugs,
Marla

Nonna
02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Great News Rob!

It's always wonderful to get the good news. Glad everythings okay. Keep up the good work on those cars. I love the classics and remember one day, they will be the antiques.

Nonna

Hugs and Prayers with you both always

SandyR
02-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Woot Woot!!!! Wonderful news! I am happy for you and your family.

:beerchug::arms:

puzzled
02-22-2010, 11:13 PM
That's wonderful news, I'm very happy for your dad, yourself and the rest of your family. You must be all so relieved. Hugs

laurid8967
02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey Rob -
SOOO happy to hear nothing too serious is going on and that Dad is back to being "Dad". Hoping you are feeling ok as well, Rob - always )
Lauri

richie
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi Rob sorry to hear about your dad.I know how you feel because my dad has parkinsons and I have a really hard time doing things for him now.I will keep him in my prayers . richie

leaf
02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Will be praying rob, really I will. Sorry to hear this. I am trying to find my way around this site and read this, I had no idea how hard life is for you right noow, and there I go on and on...leaf

magistramarla
02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Leaf,
We've never "met", but welcome back. I saw a thread started by you not long ago. Some folks were worried about how you were doing. I hope that things are going better for you this new year.
Don't worry about coming here to vent. Sometimes we all need to do that, and this is a great group of people who understand.
Keep coming back, and join the conversation.
Hugs,
Marla

mountaindreamer
02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
hey rob,,,,wonderful news. i hope you and your dad are spending some quality time on his pride - the rolls royce..

mountaindreamer
02-23-2010, 10:31 PM
hi leaf...i join marla in sending you a big hello...nice to hear from you again, i too hope you will keep joining us

lucky7
02-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh dear Rob, i am SO SORRY about your dad. My heart breaks for you my FRIEND. I hope you get some answers soon. Life sure is a rough road at times huh. Those damn curve balls can really shake up our world. YOU ARE STRONG and A WONDERFUL PERSON and YOU BOTH WILL MAKE IT THROUGH WHATEVER IS SENT YOUR WAY. Please just know that we are here for you and im sending your father and you as well WELL WISHES and BIG GENTLE HUGS. LOVE YOU XXX OOO:wub::heart::hug:

lucky7
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
OK, so im a GOOBER, i was so SAD for you when i read the thread taht i didnt read ALL of the posts to find out WOO FRIGIN HOO! Hes ok!!!!!! Im so HAPPY to hear that Rob!!!!!!! XXXOOO

justomegirlindallas
02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Rob - the good news is that urological cancers are some of the easiest and successful to treat. Please make sure he gets to the doctor and stays on top of that stuff so that if it is cancer it don't spread outside his system. Have the doctor get a urine cytology ASAP while waiting for other tests.. I will keep him in my prayers

rob
02-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Rob - the good news is that urological cancers are some of the easiest and successful to treat. Please make sure he gets to the doctor and stays on top of that stuff so that if it is cancer it don't spread outside his system. Have the doctor get a urine cytology ASAP while waiting for other tests.. I will keep him in my prayers

Thanks for the kind words Anna. It looks like my update got lost a couple of pages back. Dad is doing fine, and there is nothing serious going on. Check out post #39 for the whole story.

Rob

wrightrs
02-25-2010, 02:06 PM
So glad thing turned out well her your Dad.

Pretti in Pink
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi Rob,

Glad to hear everything turned out ok for your dad. I hope everything else is going well with you as well. I'll keep surfing and try to catch up on things.

Lala
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I also am glad everything is good, it is hard to watch and wait..take care of you..