PDA

View Full Version : Casts in urine?

luvpinkpeeps
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Well I saw the Urologist today and he did the camera procedure and my bladder looked fine. (yay for that)

He is now sending me on to a Nephrologist'

My urine today has less blood than last Thursday, but what he saw was red blood cell casts.

So, Is this some what better or different than blood in urine?

Is it protein in the urine?

It was a quick visit and it didn't occur to me to ask about protein.

ricketyrose
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I dont have lupus, I have an ANA titer of 1:1260 with no double stranded dna and a sjogrens titer of only 1:60. everytime I give a urine I have red blood cells spill but no protien. I dont know how effective ketone tests strips are but I use them for peace of mind. you can buy them at the pharmacy. have you been checked for H pylori?

luvpinkpeeps
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
hmmm, no I don't believe I have been tested for that.

I will check the pharmacy, I haven't been officially diagnosed with Lupus either, just have so many of the symptoms, but because of my ANA being negative it has been thusfar dismissed.

However, I need to have an updated ANA test especially now that this stuff with my kidney is going on.

ricketyrose
02-03-2010, 07:27 PM
my ANA and SSB have done this over the past 5 months
1:320, negative, 1:640 with a 1:40 ssb, negative one week later, 1:1260 w/ 1:60 ssb, then negative one week later. doctors see the teeter toter titer and just cant resist ordering that test again each time. the rheumy today said that it must be the labs but I know it goes in conjuction with my period when my blood volume is lower. I asked him what could possibly cause a central nervous lesion, dymelination in my peripheral and then this, after all these years of neruological issues this titer this just began. he said that I should go ask the 7 nerologists that I have gone to over the past 8 years, quite very condicendingly. most doctors treat me like I am lying dispite the tests sitting on my lap organized by chronology and catergory which they dont bother to look at. its humiliating but I chug along because even if I didnt have all this difinitive proof that all this was going on, I know my body and I was once a happy productive healthy human being and I would give anything to be that again, you know your body dont stop at anything to get it back.

Faith
02-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Hi luvpinkpeeps,

I found this info on a lupus website. I hope it helps. Did they run a 24 urine test by chance? I would push for a dr's apptmt. Please keep us updated.

Faith

Kidney disorder * existence of excessive protein in the urine (proteinuria), or the existence of cellular casts in the urine. Casts are aggregates of cells, or cell remnants, stuck together which are normally found in the blood, or fragments of the tubules of the kidney itself.

This is from Lupus.org.

A urinalysis is by far the simplest and most commonly used study to test for lupus nephritis. In this test, a urine sample is examined for the presence of protein and blood cells which are not normally found in the urine.

The blood cells that may collect in the kidney to form and be excreted in the urine are called casts. Casts are seen when the urine is examined under the microscope.
The presence of protein in the urine is called proteinuria.
The presence of red blood cells in the urine is called hematuria

The presence of white blood cells in the urine is called leukocyturia.
The presence of any of these in the urine suggest the possibility of lupus nephritis and generally indicate the need for further studies.

luvpinkpeeps
02-04-2010, 06:56 AM
hi Faith,

thank you for this info.

My next stop is the Nephrologist so hopefully he/she will do that test. I don't yet know who the doc will be.

luvpinkpeeps
06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I am FINALLY seeing a nephrologist on Friday! Can you be;lieve how long it has taken? since February I have waited....amid all the cancel and re schedules (by the doctor's office.)

I still have microscopic blood in my urine as of last Thursday.

My general doc talked about my fibromyalgia with me, and that my last ANA was neg..(long ago) .. my sed rate at that time was 16. That isn't very high I guess.

Anyway, I just read the other day that Fibromyalgia patients can have hematuria (unexplained blood in the urine.)

I hope that is all it is.

General doc put me on Celexa....for the anxiety and I read that it helps with fibro pain.

I haven't gotten up the courage to actually swallow the pill yet! I had such a bad reaction to Cymbalta.

I seem to have developed medicine phobia or something!