PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Today..

ritzbit
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
She didnt really say much about me not taking my meds. She actually said that I could lower the Plaquenil. They want me to get an MRI of my head. I seriously came in with a list taking up a whole page of my complaints. It went better than most of my appointments I guess. Just a little stressed. Making my head hurt worse.

Im glad she paid more attention to my complaints for once. She's starting me on a new med for my Raynauds too. I cant think of what its called... something that starts with a T. I hope it helps. She wrote down everything I said and she said she'll look at it and we might need to start different meds if the ones Im on still arent doing anything really. Soo. Maybe we're getting somewhere?

SandyR
02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I am so proud of you for taking the time to prepare a list and for cliearly expressing your feelings/concerns. Make sure you keep that note in a place with all your other medical records so you can revisit it before your next visit and see if you have the same concerns, new concerns or additional questions.

ritzbit
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I have it in a notebook I have with me all the time. Im kinda worried about the MRI, or more like nervous. Im not that afraid of small spaces but I think it'll be freaky. Im doing it next Friday.

magistramarla
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Hy Ritzbit,
I'm glad that you are standing up for yourself with the doc. She needs to know that you really are in pain and that she needs to try to do something about it.
I've been through a few MRIs. They aren't so bad, just noisy. My comment to the technician was that it sounded like some really bad techno music that some of my stranger students liked to listen to. They provide earplugs, but if you are sensitive you might want to take some heavy-duty ones with you. I actually like small, tight places, and I would have happily taken a nap while in there if not for the techno-music!
Good luck with it,
Marla

SandyR
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
if you can bring your iPod, that might help you relax. Or, if you can, go to a standup MRI place.

DrinkofWtr
02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Dear Ritzbit,

An MRI can be freaky, if you are claustrophic like I am. I had to have an open type of MRI.

Nonna
02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi Ritzbit

I've had several, to me it's the length. some of mine have been a total of 45 minutes. they run the machine in spurts. they tell you, be patient this is going to be a long one or this will be a quick one. I actually find the banging comforting sometimes. I don't like small spaces so I close my eyes before I go in and open them when I come out. They run a fan so you have fresh air the whole time. It is definitely survivable. Open MRI's are becoming more common; but may be still hard to find. Everyone has made excellent suggestions.

good Luck,

Nonna

Live Life to the best of your ability

karenboss
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM
even though it's a small space it isn't dark - that helped me overcome what I would normally feel in terms of closterfobia
good luck

abbasgirl
02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
So glad to hear this visit was better Ritz! YEAH!!!

I'll be thinking of you and praying for you on MRI day. Keep on updating us, okay?

Nonna, I do that before going into the MRI too. I shut my eyes so I don't see myself going in and it helps a lot. Some places are better than others to get them too. One place was kinda cold and business only...another I went to gave me headphones and I got to listen to some nice jazz music.

mountaindreamer
02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
hi ritz....

what a wonderful report on your drs. visit. You presented yourself with control, you had your notes, she took you seriously, and you had a successful problem-solving meeting. That is the best that you can have, congratulations to you...you are the one that made the difference.

don't woory about the MRI...wear comfortable clothing, do something nice for yourself to help you relax, and go in and "get-r-done"....you can do it.

Angel Oliver
02-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Wow well done Ritz and goodluck for the MRI, we'll all be there with ya,i'll be the one tickling your toes :) Hope the meds help you with the Raynaurds too.

love n hugs
Amanda.xxxx

ritzbit
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When my mom called to make the appointment they told her I could bring a CD and they'd play it for me. So hopefully that'll help some. I feel like Im doing way too much at once. The one time I decide to do something helpful and productive and I go into a terrible flare. I've been having on and off the same problems for the past 2 or 3 weeks and Im about ready to just scream. So Im hoping that the MRI will show something thats useful even though I dont exactly want to hear that my brains kinda swollen lol

What I dont quite understand is how my doctor basically said Im either depressed or my brain is swollen? Like she wants me to go see a therapist so she can decide if Im depressed. And I really do not think that Im depressed lol maybe really stressed out but not depressed. She explained all this kinda weird and me and my mom both took what she told us differently soo maybe when I see her again in a few weeks she'll better explain all that.

On a side note my Haiti fundraiser starts next week =) and people were already bringing in things today =) So pumped lol

abbasgirl
02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
So glad the fundraiser is going well! Yeah!!

I'm happy to hear you can bring your own music. That will be a help. Don't let it all overwhelm you sweetie. Just keep telling yourself this is a good thing... if the cause is swelling then they can treat it and you'll feel better. If it's nothing, well then, there's that peace of mind. Maybe she's not just looking for swelling but anything unusual. She's being more thorough and that's good.

If you see a GOOD therapist it can be a big help for you emotionally, Ritz. A bad therapist can do more harm than good though. However, if you don't feel you need it by all means just ignore the suggestion. You know you better than anyone else.

Any relief from the Raynaud's yet?

ritzbit
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
No. my mom has been really busy with planning a birthday part that was today so she hasnt gotten it yet.

Today I havent been able to walk. This is becoming something Im used to =( I was shaking soooooo bad this morning. and I have been sitting all day. And had to get my brothers or mom or someone to help me walk whenever I got up. and I was terrified I was going to fall on the ice. It has been slightly upsetting. Its never really been this bad. Sigh =(

abbasgirl
02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
My gosh, Ritz! That's a serious problem sweetie. Is it from weakness?

Am praying for you.

mountaindreamer
02-07-2010, 02:28 PM
hi ritz,

i hope you are feeling a little better today.

I want to address the depression issue. There is absolutely no way for a person to go through an extended flare and not be depressed. So, when asked if you are depressed, say "yes, but who wouldn't be depressed. However, I am not concerned that it is a permanent depressed state, it will pass when the flare gives me some relief. I have been through this before, and I know my body....." then add whatever you have to to make sure that it is ok to be depressed. We always get past it just like we get past the extreme pain, fatigue, and all of the other attacks on our body. If you let people get you worried about being depressed, then you will get really depressed....so, just remember that you know yourself better than anybody else.

I understand that in order for them to detect if there is CNS involvement with lupus that the MRI must be given during a flare. So, as much as you don't feel like going through this, maybe it is best that it is being scheduled for now.

Ritz, hang in there girl. I am sending you very gentle hugs.

ritzbit
02-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Abbasgirl- It was weakness, pain, and they just wouldnt stop shaking. Thank you =) Im feeling better today. Even went into to work for about 1/3 of my shift lol

Mountaindreamer- Im not depressed. I might be a little stressed but its more from how school is going right now and the flare isn't helping. But Im not depressed. I've been really depressed before but right now Im really not. Im going to the therapist just to make my doctor happy.

Im hoping the MRI is ok. Thanks you guys.

mountaindreamer
02-09-2010, 06:55 PM
i too am hoping for a good MRI for you.

I was not trying to say you were suffering from depression, after re-reading my post, i am not sure what i was trying to say. sorry bout that.....

anyway...good luck on your test. be sure and let us know.

ritzbit
02-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks I will

Im making my "MRI CD" today lol