PDA

View Full Version : Wiggin' out on prednoisone

laurid8967
01-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi everyone -
Hope this post finds you all flare free and fabulous. OK, so my last post told yo all of the neuro stuff/test that were being done. I had the CT-A, MRI, Xray, blood, and had already had EEG. I havent seen neuro yet, cuz still have a couple tests left and he is on vacation this week (how DARE he). I did, however, see my reg doc and she told me that the neuros feelings were 1) there was some type of event (stroke, mini-stroke, tia) caused by the inflammation OR some blood vessels may have burst due to inflammation.
She prescribed 40mg prednisone for 2 days, then down to 20. She usually starts me much higher - I was thinking she didnt want to alter any test results that I have yet to do.
OK - The next day, Friday, I was having pain breathing in, sharppain in back, lower lung, and shsrp pain in chest. My hubby took me to ER. Abnormal EKG, blah, blah...OK, the ER doc said "Listen, Im not sure WHY you were only prescribed 20 mg of prednosone, but, frankly, you need what I call a "B$#*CH SLAP dose of prednisone - like now" (Yeah, he swore, welcome to Quincy, MA). He gave me 60mg fo rten days and said to follow up immediately with doc.
Now, dont get me wrong - Im feeling better now - gosh, you guys, like almost immediately! Sense of swollen limbs gone, mental fog much less, weakness better, etc. - but I am WIRED out of my MIND!!
In addition, I have not heard back yet from my doc if its ok that Im on this much prednisone - dont think the nurse gave her the message...uughh! Will the prednisone alter the results of my upcoming EMG? (Rob, maybe you know this answer - as usual!) I know, I HAVE to get in touch with doc.
This flare is one of the worst - yeah, the WORST - Ive had, and I now have some relief....I dont know what to do!
OK, Imm off to meet with my sons teachers. Im SO grateful I feel well enough to go - and Im driving myself!! His grades have slipped dramatically simce Ive been sick. Gotta go take care of my baby while I feel well!
Thanks for letting me vent - and Im going right now to put another call into doc!!
Hugs to all -
Lauri

Saysusie
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi;
I've heard others mention that their medication altered some of their tests. I do not know if the Prednisone will alter your EMG? It might help if you tell them beforehand that you are on a high dosage of Prednisone so that they will take this into consideration when looking at the results.
60mg for ten days is still a pretty safe dosage as this is not a prolonged use of the drug at that dosage. Many patients start out at 60mg/day as their initial treatment and then taper down from there. It is also not unusual for Prednisone to be given in higher doses when trying to control a flare-up, such as the one you are having.
I am glad that it is makin you feel better and that it seemed to work quickly for you. Hopefully, it will also help to alleviate some of your other symptoms as well. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

laurid8967
01-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the reply Saysusie. Yeah, the jitters are gone - yeah! My body is leveling off. Doc says the prednisone will not change anything with regards to results, etc. They are definately leaning towards CNS lupus rather than a TIA, etc. As for now, I will continue on 60mg daily till all tests are done and neuro gives HIS input, and the plan for now is to switch over to immunosupp. - probably Imuran. Sounds like a plan to me. Im praying it keeps things under control and lessens the number/intensity of any future flares.
Today Im just trusting God that I will deal - a day at a time - and try to enjoy any wellness I feel. (This of course, is easier to say now that I feel a bit better! LOL) Im definately NOT 100% (what is that?), but Im out of bed, doing some laundry and able to talk on the phone more - need my posse! - and Im able to actually UNDERSTAND what my kids are saying to me..(I dont just see beautiful faces, with mouths moving and Charlie Browns' teachers voice reminating thru the room..Wa WAH-wa WAH). I KNOW you all know what I mean!
So again thank you - hope you all are doing well..
Much love and gratitude
Lauri

Saysusie
02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Lauri;
I am so glad to hear that you are doing a bit better. I, too, hope that the Imuran works for you. Like you, I live one day at a time and I am so thankful and grateful for each day that I am given...no matter how I feel! :cute:

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie