PDA

View Full Version : The Kindness of Strangers Confirmed!

Saysusie
01-23-2010, 01:47 PM
So, I am sitting at my computer posting in WHL. As I look out of my window, I notice several cars driving up and down the street. Also, there are men running up and down the street talking to the drivers of the cars. Being curious, but cautious, I make sure that my doors are locked and start watching them closely and noting their license plate numbers. Suddenly, one man starts running up my driveway yelling, Its here, I have to warn these people here! He then bangs on my door as the drivers get out of their cars and also run up to my house. He starts yelling, You back yard is on fire, get out of your house! I run outside as several men are trying to jump the fence to get into my back yard. At that point, they realize that it is not my house or my yard, but it is the neighbor's house behind me which is totally engulfed in flames. I can hear and see other neighbors, at the burning house, with water hoses.
The guys at my house then take my water hose and start hosing down my trees, my fence and my house telling me to stay away. They stay at my house watering everything until the fire department arrives at the burning house. They then stay until they are sure that the fire will not spread to my house. Then, they neatly roll up my hose, ask me if I am OK and leave (in spite of my asking if they want anything, if they need anything). Just as quickly as they appeared, they were gone. I never got their names, I have never seen them before..but here again is evidence of the kindness and humanity of others!
Unfortunately, my neighbor's house is destroyed and it was such a beautiful home. We will be checking with them to see when they return home in order to offer them a place to sleep, to eat, and we will give them what clothing and essentials that we have.
What A Day and I thank God for the kindness of strangers and for always renewing my faith in the goodness of others!

Serenity81
01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
It's so good to hear stories like this.. especially right now when there's so much apathy and self-centered thinking in our world. I'm so glad that you're ok. And although it's horrible that their house was destroyed, it was a blessing that your neighbors weren't home when it happened and they're ok also. Good thoughts and prayers for strength coming your way.

SandyR
01-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Holy moly!!! I am so glad you are safe and sound. You poor neighbors! If you need help helping them, feel free to ask and I will help you any way I can. btw- I would have first had that "lock the door and myself inside" reaction too! (that's the city girl in me).

Saysusie
01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I've gone over to their house twice and still found no one home. But, yesterday evening, I saw some people cleaning out the house. I asked them if they needed anything and they said that they did not live there, the were helping the owners who were still away. I gave them my name and phone # and asked them to let the owners know that we would assist them in any way that we can. Other than that, I've heard nothing more.
I'll keep you posted!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

magistramarla
01-24-2010, 02:27 PM
SaySusie,
That was so close! I'm glad that you were safe.
Did the fire have anything to do with the severe weather that we've been having all up and down the coast? I've seen lots of pictures of damage from mudslides, fires caused by lightening strikes and even a tornado at Huntington Beach.
I hope that your neighbors will be able to recover quickly.
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
So very sorry that your neighbors lost their home to a house fire, but it gladdens my heart to hear of those strangers' act of kindness. Sometimes, when I find myself questioning the motives and goodness of people, I hear a story similar to yours and it reminds me all of that is good.

Saysusie
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Magistramarla; The fire department did not give us any indication of what started the fire. But, it was apparent that it was something inside of the house. We've had no weather damage here, at all. While the fire was blazing, we heard several very loud explosions coming from inside of the house. It was, actually, very scary for a while.

BonusMom; It seems that, everytime I start to doubt and become a bit cynical, something happens to renew my faith and my hope! As you said, this was one of those times. I often wonder why I even allow myself to start to doubt...but we can all get caught up in our own sorrows sometimes and forget to look at the big picture....

Still no word or sighting of our neighbors. So, I called our association to let them know that we are available if they need us.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

KATROACH1972
01-25-2010, 01:33 PM
May have been angels? They are amongst us. I am so happy your house was saved, and that your neighbors have such a sweet person living beside them and can offer your kindness! Sounds like those men are not the only angels in this! lol hugs luv Kathy

mountaindreamer
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
wow, saysusie,

i know from experience how frightening a house fire can be. Thank goodness for kind strangers. When my house burned down, a 14 year old boy and 1 grown man carried my piano from the house - saving it....i don't remember their names, but i will always be grateful to them. The piano proudly sits in my foyer - my parents gave it to me when i was 7 and started lessons.

Yes, you have been reminded that there is so much good in this world, and thankfully it was on your street that day.

Saysusie
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Katroach1972; Thank You so Much. I, too, believe that there are angels amongst us. I am firm in that belief
Mountaindreamer: I bet you remember that act of kindness each time you look at your piano. I believe that there are many more kind people in this world than the opposite and acts like these proves it to me.

I did get a call from the family thanking me so much for my offer. They are staying with family and reconstruction has already begun on their home. They hope to be back in their home in 3-4 months! That was wonderful news!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

abbasgirl
02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks so much for sharing this experience with us Saysusie and it's good to know they're okay and will be back in their home in months...that is wonderful!

Phyllis....((((hugs)))...that had to have been so hard to go through, but wow about the strangers helping get your piano out. I didn't know you play. I look forward to listening to you play sometime!