PDA

View Full Version : Sick and I don't know why or from what

wolfwhisper
01-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Posted as a blog, but I'm hoping this will get noticed quicker.

Alright. I don't think it has anything to do with Lupus, but it gives me flares so I'm not sure.

Before I start, I missed my antidepressents for a few days and my OCD meds for 3 days. Missed about a week before, and had no ill symptoms, just down days. Trying to keep the fact that I don't feel well from the others here. I'm not home, so I can't go see a doctor, and I don't want to bother everyone else here again.

Here it goes:
For the past several months, I've had a major lack of appetite. When I feel like I'm starving, I'll eat a bit but after a few bites, I'll be done. I'm not full, but I don't feel like eating anymore. It's like forcing myself to eat. Today, I had diahrea (ewww), and was a bit dizzier than yesterday. Also, I skipped diner yesterday since it was ravioli, and I detest it. I went to bed without dinner even though I'd had lunch about 10 hours before. Also, I wasn't really tired, but I didn't want to get out of bed, even for brunch (since everyone had to wait until 10 this morning). About 20 hours without food, I was hardly dizzy. It was a normal feeling so I didn't think abything about it. For the past 2 days, I've also tried to avoid tables with several people sitting at them. Here's how I feel today.

-Dizzy whenever I round a corner and avert my eyes to look at something. Never had that happen before.
- lack of appetite
-Diahrea (started at around 8). Not much diahrea, just spurts. Always feel like I need to use the bathroom
-nausea although no feeling of vomiting.

I fell about 5 days ago, and didn't eat dinner then either, followed by not packing a lunch for the next 2 days. I ate every breakfast and dinner though. Last night and the night I fell were the only days that I didn't eat dinner here. If you have any information, please let me know. I will check out anything you might think is wrong, ie. flu, cold, etc. Maybe I will find things that I overlooked. Thanks ahead for your information.

rob
01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Hmmm,

Have you considered that you may be suffering from dehydration and possible borderline malnutrition, not to mention wildly fluctuating blood sugar? For me, for some unknown reason, SLE has totally killed my appetite and desire to eat even my most favorite foods. It's a very real feeling that nothing sounds appetizing, and nothing tastes good at all. I have to literally force myself sometimes to put a fair amount of food on my plate and eat it all. Eating is often times a chore. If I give in and skip meals, or eat just small amounts, I get bad diarrhea, awful fatigue, dizzy spells, and my moods swing to extremes from the fluctuating blood sugar.

I don't take any antidepressants, so I'm not sure if that could be part of your problem. I have no idea why my ability to enjoy food has left me over the past few years, but it is a common thing many people here talk about as a symptom/problem with SLE. 20 hours without food is way too long. And diarrhea will cause dehydration very quickly, making matters even worse. I wish I had a reason and solid answer for you. Your symptoms are very much like mine, but I have no idea why I have no appetite anymore, or why you are having a bit of the same, other than it's something many people with SLE deal with.

You will definitely get more responses from this thread than you will from the blog. I suggest you check back frequently to see what others have to say. We have a fair amount of collective experience here, so someone may have a better answer and explanation for you.

Rob

Serenity81
01-18-2010, 06:17 AM
I was just talking to my husband about this type of thing last night!

Personally, the one thing I can pretty surely attribute the change to, would be the Plaquenil. Since I started it in November, my appetite sucks... and like you guys, if I don't eat much or skip meals, I have bad tummy issues. More and more, dairy products seem to not sit well with me either. My PCP had indicated before that he thought I had IBS, which again seems to go along with SLE alot... Perhaps the medications that we're all on only exacerbate it. I suppose that's why it's so vital that we maintain a healthy balanced diet. It is so difficult though, especially when nothing sounds good and you're "full" after only a few bites.

As Rob said, the reduced intake will most definitely start a cascade of issues that will only get worse as it goes on. Once you begin getting dehydrated, that can start a snowball effect.

Please take care of yourself.

ritzbit
01-18-2010, 06:35 AM
I agree about the Plaquenil. I've always had stomach issues and they got alot worse once I started taking the plaquenil. I also started having problems with dairy about a month after starting it. I learned quick I cant eat ice cream anymore =( I just started taking it again after 2 months of my pill boycot and the stomach problems started up only days after.

I hope you figure out whats making you feel so out of wack.

wolfwhisper
01-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys. I'll contunue to check back. I'd thought of dehydration, but not malnutrition. I'll check up on it, and I'm sorry that you guys have to go through it as well. I'm going to try and get the longest sleep possible in the car today. Maybe that will help some.

rob
01-18-2010, 09:05 AM
I didn't mention it, but I also am on Plaquenil. Been on 200mg twice a day for pretty much forever now. Been taking plaquenil almost constantly since my SLE diagnosis in 2004.

Rob

BonusMom
01-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Plaquenil is rather notorious for causing digestive distress. I take 600 mg daily and it doesn't impact my appetite or cause me any issues which is amazing since I have gastroparesis.

You might ask your doctor about breaking the 200 mg pill in half and taking 4 hrs after taking the first half and split the second pill and take 1/2 four hours before bed and the other 1/2 at bedtime. Or, maybe even taking the entire dose at night. I take my entire dose all at once in the morning because I have a hard time remebering to take anything before bedtime.

Please don't just stop or alter your Plaquenil dose wihout talking to your doctor.

abbasgirl
01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
My tummy never could stand Plaq...but I never lost my appetite. However, I did when I was on some antidepressant treatment...that really messed up my system and even though I stopped them it took so long for it leave my system finally. I was on other drugs that work with the brain's chemistry and it always messed up my appetite and made my ibs much worse.

It could be the lupus all by it's self...i had the ibs issues way before trying any treatments years ago...which my rheumy says are more inflammatory bowel syndrome than irritable bowel.

I'm so sorry you've been like this and for so long. I hope and pray you get to feeling much better quickly...and everyone else here with the same problem.

Ritz, I don't know if your body can tolerate it or not, but Turtle Mountain makes some great fake ice cream my body will let me enjoy...http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/purely_decadent.html I like the Turtle Trails. There's a thread around here somewhere, where we discussed good non dairy ice creams.

magistramarla
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I always had an iron stomach and could eat literally anything. Since starting on the plaq, I've had lots of gastro problems and I've been taking Prevacid daily. I've never let it affect my appetite, since I love to cook so much. The one day of the week that my appetite is a little off is the day after my MTX injection. I generally go for bland food for breakfast and lunch, but I usually feel like eating by dinner.
Wolfwhisper, you really need to have a heart-to-heart with your doc about what you've told us. It sounds like it could be dangerous for you to keep doing this. Perhaps your doc needs to adjust some of your meds?
Take care of yourself, please!
Marla

DrinkofWtr
01-18-2010, 06:11 PM
I am no Dr. but I was thinking it could possibly be the medications you are on and the fact that you missed doses for days and then went back on them again. My daughter takes antidepressants and when she misses taking them for a time she has all kinds of chemical imbalance problems. I would suggest that you go and see your Dr. and tell him what you have told us and see what he thinks. You might want the opinion of more than one Dr. also regarding your problem/s.

wolfwhisper
01-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I was talking to my mom about it, and she said the same things. She said it was probably due to missing my meds along with a bought of slight malnutrition. I definitly plan to talk to the doctor about it and see if it was the meds messing with me. If so, then I need to get them changed since I forget often, although not as often as lately. My memory is too shot to even check if I took them that day. I can't even remember who some people are some days, although that isn't from the meds. It's got to be genetic. lol. I'll try to stay away from Plaquenil, since if my stomach bothers me I don't eat enough or can't eat at all. I'll take it as a warning and pray that they don't put me on it anyway. Thanks again.

After a few days of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bagels with creamcheese for breakfast, I'm doing a lot better. Thank goodness that the dizziness stopped though. I don't like the feeling, but I prefer the black-out dizziness compared to whatever it was that made me dizzy earlier.

wolfwhisper
01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
It's been a while, but I'm doing a lot better. Still have nausea and the nasty. It's still hard to eat enough, so I can't wait until I get to see the doctor. I think most of it WAS from malnutrion and the nasty and nausea might be from dehydration. More liquids, and I guess more bagels until I get to see the doctor. Ugggh.

ritzbit
01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Sorry you're still not feelin that great. Hope you can get to the doctor

wolfwhisper
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks. I am going to make an emergency appointment. Tonight when I ate a bite of shake-n-bake pork and 3 tater-tots, I lost it about a minute later. Unfortunatly, I'm completely serious. A Minute!! I haven't had anything to eat all day, so I shouldn't have lost so much....I know, alot of nasty information, but it happened. But what's really wierd, is that I feel a bit better when I stretch out on my stomach.