PDA

View Full Version : Coincident or what?

ssingh
01-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi
Last 2 months I have about 3 people in friends circle that are diagnosed with lupus. There are more and more lupus cases being diagnosed, I wonder what causing this increase since this suppose to be very rare disease.

JamesKnochel
01-17-2010, 02:54 PM
I say that the rise is related to increasing levels of stress and anxiety. People don't know what to do about their stress, so they internalize the problem.

-James Knochel

DrinkofWtr
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't think the Drs. know what causes lupus. It's a mystery.

ssingh
01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Yep, I guess stress is a factor but there is lot than just stress and doctor work on lot of theories as well like may be abstien BAR virus as such....and list goes on and on..

rob
01-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Stress can definitely bring on a Lupus flare, but there is no evidence that stress actually causes Lupus. DrinkofWtr is correct, the cause of the disease is unknown at this time.

Rob

Serenity81
01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I would like to believe also, that even though there isn't much understanding by way of "why" it happens in each case... it's prevalence is finally being realized! Just as depression was so unheard of and taboo for so long, once the doctors become more educated about it and are more willing to consider new ideas, it becomes more evident that what we're looking at is probably more widespread than anyone first thought.

I have my own theories as well, that there is a lot of environmental factors that will spark that latent genetic predisposition to things like lupus. Look at all of the synthetic and artificial preservatives we all consume in our food each day... increased pollution, etc... These are factors that weren't as prominent 50+ years ago, so perhaps the judgement of how "rare" it truly is has been skewed for some time.

Edited to add:
At my workplace alone, we have at least 3 people with fibromyalgia, myself with lupus, a 20 year old with RA, one person with Celiac's... and I'm sure there are more AI issues that others have that I don't even know about! It does seem to be becoming a much more common thing amongst the general population. Perhaps our bodies are revolting against all of the environmental factors I'd mentioned earlier.. Food for thought..

magistramarla
01-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree with Shannon. The Western diet and lifestyle has led to a lot of our health problems. Also, doctors may be getting better at spotting Lupus and other AI disorders that used to remain undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
Marla

rob
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I have my own theories as well, that there is a lot of environmental factors that will spark that latent genetic predisposition to things like lupus. Look at all of the synthetic and artificial preservatives we all consume in our food each day... increased pollution, etc...

That's basically my theory too. My mother has SLE, so I believe I was genetically predisposed, and the multitude of hazardous materials I used to work with were the trigger. When I was first diagnosed with SLE, I did a bunch of research via Google and the library to see if there are any common links. I discovered quite a few people who had SLE and worked around two materials I handled on a daily basis. The first being Aluminum Oxide. It's a common abrasive powder used for sandblasting. The other was Depleted Uranium which I handled in both my military, and later on in my civillian career. It really poses no significant health risk from radiation, but it is a highly toxic heavy metal in the same way Lead is. You can take all the proper precautions and protect yourself, but sooner or later you are going to get some small exposures, and over time, possible cumulative damage.

I also found a cluster of people with SLE in Southern Arizona in the border town of Nogales, and in the nearby community of Sierra Vista. I was employed at the Army Intelligence Center at Ft. Huachuca for 3 years. Ft. Huacuca surrounds much of the city of Sierra Vista. It makes one think...

Lots of interesting possibilities, but no proof of anything. Kinda hard to say a certain chemical or compound is responsible when real Dr.'s and researchers still don't know what causes Lupus. Maybe someday.

Rob

Serenity81
01-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Rob - most definitely! It's funny how we seem to see the subtle links much more clearly than those who actually have the means to look into it. Hopefully, as the LFA has been boasting, the money for research into these theories is increasing.. perhaps we'll have some answers soon... well, we can hope, right? I do, however, think we're probably both pretty spot on. Look at all the different types of cancers that are accelerated by environmental factors.. there are so many unknowns that effect us on a daily basis that we probably don't even consider!

Your military background sounds super interesting! I was a navy brat, born @ Balboa in San Diego... I was 3 months premie, so I suppose you could say the US Navy saved my life! I would've loved to join myself, ideally would have joined the Navy's nursing corps, but alas, I'm legally blind in my left eye (retinal problems due to the oxygen administered at birth).... so they couldn't enlist me. Ironically, in high school, we were made to take the ASVAB... apparently, I did well, can't remember my scores, but they wanted to sign me up and put me on the fast track to officer level, yadda yadda... they wouldn't leave me alone!! Until they realized my issues with my eyes...

Wow, sorta got off topic there.. LOL, sorry!

ssingh
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I agree with Rob on heavy metals toxicity, I worked in Lead environment for few year that's where it got triggered.

rob
01-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree with Rob on heavy metals toxicity, I worked in Lead environment for few year that's where it got triggered.

I used to test fire guns for a major firearms manufacturer in an indoor range, and I used to do setup and calibration on machines used in the production of ammunition. I was always careful, but some lead exposure was inevitable. So count me as another person with SLE who has had significant lead exposure.

Rob

ssingh
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
hi rob
guess what, I had my doctor do the heavy metal urine test, result came today, that all came out negative..

magistramarla
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Yes, guys,
I can identify with the environmental trigger theory. I grew up in an oil refining area, surrounded by Shell Oil, Amoco Oil, Conoco Oil, a glassworks factory, an ammunition producing factory and a couple of chemical companies. A lot of my HS classmates have had several forms of cancer, and I know of a couple of people who have the same symptoms that I have.
However, I just can't ignore the hereditary thing, either. I saw many folks in my mother's family with many of the same symptoms, and not all of them lived near the factories, either. Now I'm seeing some AI issues showing up in my daughters, and they definitely didn't grow up in the same environment that I did.
It has to be from a combination of factors. Like you, I really hope that the researchers listen to our observations and track some of these things down.
Marla

ssingh
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I think hereditary is the biggest part of it all and other all the trigger factors

SandyR
01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
I also think that although there is no official cause, to me, it seems obvious that it is either genetic/sex linked (especially since so many have AI history on our mother's sides) or environmental since AI diseases seem to have exploded and evolved with westernization and insutrialization of our nations. There's a good book called The Autoimmune Epidemic that talks about this which has a lot of research the author used to back this up by Donna Jackson Nakazawa. She spends a lot of time in the book discussing Lupus.

rob
01-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I think hereditary is the biggest part of it all and other all the trigger factors

I agree, the hereditary factor is most likely the key to the root cause of our disease. So many of us have parents, siblings, and/or other blood relatives with Lupus, or other autoimmune disorders, that there must be a genetic predisposition. It's frustrating to try to come up with a theory that is consistent across a large sampling of people with SLE. There are so many factors, and so many variables-Grrr...

Rob

JamesKnochel
01-19-2010, 01:28 AM
... Hopefully, as the LFA has been boasting, the money for research into these theories is increasing.. perhaps we'll have some answers soon... ...

Don't mean to be cynical, but I think medical research is a racket, just like any other. They fundraise continuously for more research, skim 20% off the top, and fund all the wrong treatment philosophies.

For example, I despise breast cancer fundraisers not because I despise breasts, but because I think the authors of Dressed to Kill are correct about the cancer-producing hazard created by underwire bras. (If you haven't read the book, here's a quick summary: bras of all types restrict the flow of lymph in the breast, and the underwires make this restriction even more pronounced. My wife has cut the wires out of all her bras, and they still work.)

There are various causes of Lupus - heavy metals, various forms of stress (someone responded to my post in their blog, and remembered that their lupus started after a boyfriend breakup), drugs, trauma stored in the body (my boating accident), etc.

Genetics are only relevant in determining which degenerative condition you get (see Time Magazine's Why your DNA isn't your destiny (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1951968,00.html)) - if not lupus, you could develop any of a hundred other conditions related to your specific genes. It's the epigenome that turns the genes on and off, and the epigenome is very responsive to the outside world (see list of causes above).

If there was a way to successfully resolve "lupus" (or any other auto-immune condition), it'd be by directly addressing the individual's specific triggers. This might include... [lots of possibilities], but there's not much money in the list for the drug companies.

sincerely,
James Knochel

rob
01-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Don't mean to be cynical, but I think medical research is a racket, just like any other. They fundraise continuously for more research, skim 20% off the top, and fund all the wrong treatment philosophies.

Do you have proof of this? Where did you find the figure 20%? Are you implying that the Lupus Foundation of America is engaging in some sort of scam or illegal venture?

There are various causes of Lupus - heavy metals, various forms of stress (someone responded to my post in their blog, and remembered that their lupus started after a boyfriend breakup), drugs, trauma stored in the body (my boating accident), etc.

Since nobody knows what causes Lupus, it's incorrect to state as a fact that there are "various causes of Lupus".

Rob

ritzbit
01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I think its mostly genetic but obviously has some links to environmental factors. After my dad learned more about it he thinks he probably has it, and after thinking about it I do too. He doesnt have insurance though and doesnt take the best care of himself so I doubt he'll ever get it checked. I worry that if it is genetic my little sisters could get it and I would never wish this upon them.

mountaindreamer
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
There are so many other diseases that are finally recognized as being associated with environmental influences, why would anyone question that time will probably put Lupus into the same category.

My daughter that had breast cancer, worked at an indian reservation during her college years. I believe it was in Arizona, but can't remember specifically. After her battle with cancer, we heard a news report stating several law suits over the uranium mining that was being done north of the reservation. She walked in that creek that ran from the area every day.

She also had a job during college where she was working in a stained glass designing studio. She was constantly exposed to the lead, and never was offered protection.....

Time answers all questions.

lucky7
01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
I was told that i caught something "airborn" when we moved into our house. We have woods behind our house, we moved in Oct. of 1997, i headed out in the yard for the first time that next spring and did tons of yard revamping. By the end of that summer i was unable to move my joints and i had the worst pain from head to toe,headaches and fatigue. Rheumatoid arthritis showed up in my tests,along with positive ANA. A month passed, i woke up to absolutely NO SYMPTOMS, i felt GREAT, back to myself. My tests showed NOTHING then. Then in 2006 we joined a gym,i started becoming VERY ILL after EVERY WORKOUT,then i stayed ill 24/7 after a while. I got WORSE as time passed. Carl and i always noticed a funny smell in the gym but we didnt put 2 and 2 together until i was SO SICK and the drs werent doing anything about it.We talked to the owner of the gym and found out they had a fungus and mold problem, they had a flood and they just covered the old wet floor with a new one (to save $). I talked to friends from the gym and some of them were experiencing the same issues. Now that i have help and a diagnosis from a WONDERFUL DR who finally HEARD me,he believes the mold/fungus kicked it back in FULL FORCE. I have lupus,raynauds,sjogrens and fibro now.

Serenity81
01-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Jeannette - that is very interesting and supports what I think alot of us have already thought for some time. I think also that it's becoming more common for the doctors to admit that a situation like yours or a sudden "trauma" (accident/illness/exposure to "something") seems to "set it off"... I know that I can recall the specific point in time when I think my lupus flared up the first time. I ended up having what seemed like an allergic reaction (skin manifestations head to toe), unfortunately, we could never pin-point what caused it.. but alas, it seems it left behind the lupus!

Like others have said, I think we'll look back on this years from now and all of the puzzle pieces will probably show some common thread amongst all of us that maybe we haven't noticed yet.

Nonna
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
I think everyone seems to have a point here. I also believe Doctors are now recognizing it better. When I was young, I was told it was growing pains and it would go away. The only good thing about that was it increased my pain tolerance. As to environmental reasons, probably but everyone is always chalking things up to the environment and pollution. I don't know.

But I would be curious to know the results of a poll of all of us. We could put our pieces together and see the results.

Nonna

Trying to Enjoy Life as my pain levels rise today.

laurid8967
01-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Thought Id chime in - as usal! I began to get symptoms after a severe illness appx 1 year before they started. I was 32 weeks pregnant with my son, and developed (very quickly) a viral pneumonia that they could not identify. I was rushed to New England Medical Ctr in Boston where I went into respitory failure. I was intubated and put into a coma (chemical sedation).
They TRULY didnt think I would make it, as thry could not identify the etiology. They brought my poor husband and family into that terrible "family room". There was one option left - an experimental anti-viral - that they actually didnt think would work, but it was my only hope (incidentally, my baby was fine as he was happily taking all my nutrients, etc).
Well, obviously, it worked...lol. But, the medicine used had yet to be approved by FDA and the only side effects they "knew of"were joint damage in Beagles....no kidding! It was truly experimental! My family said Yes of course, it was the theory of "Save her life NOW and we'll deal with any side effects later".....And..here I am....sick as heck and fighting daily for some semblence of a normal life.

I dont regret one bit of it though...my son is now a beautiful, healthy 11 year old - and I wouldnt be here with him had my family not made that decision.

THre is NO DOUBT in ANY of the doctors minds that this event - whether it was the trauma of the illness itself, or the meds used to treat me - is the cause of my illness today.
Crazy stuff :)

laurid8967
01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Incidentally, not many hospitals in this country - nevermind world - would have been able to save me. New England Medical Ctr is the teaching hospital for Tufts University. I am alwys so grateful for the access I have to some of the best.
L

magistramarla
01-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Wow Lauri,
What a story! I guess that your AI symptoms are definitely what is called medically induced. It sounds a lot like some of the stories that have been coming out lately about pregnant ladies with H1N1. I'm so glad that both you and your son survived all of that. We do a lot for the sake of our children, and many of us say that we would gladly take on their pain rather than to see them suffer. You really understand that sentiment!
Marla