PDA

View Full Version : Raynauds-My hands

ritzbit
01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
My hands are freakishly purple. not as bad as they have been. But its been days and they have basically looked the same. Very purple. Anyone else have really bad problems with their Raynauds?

SandyR
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
geez! I know you have been saying that your hands are purple, but to see it, I am shivering for you. My nails are almost always blue lately and ice cold, but not nearly that bad. What did the rheumy say when he saw that?

magistramarla
01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
My toes looked a bit like that a few weeks ago. I sure hope that your rheumy does see your hands and can do something about it.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit
01-15-2010, 06:03 AM
My hands seriously look like that every time I go and she seems concerned but blows it off and doesnt give me any more suggestions other than to stay warm. which I do.

abbasgirl
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Is that why she prescribed the Norvasc? If so, it's not helping obviously and you need to try something else. Well, I should ask, how long have you been on it?

(((((Hugs)))))

My feet have taken it up a notch lately. And heck if I know why my hands turn color under warm water. I asked my new wonderful rheumy, thanks to Phyllis aka mountaindreamer, about it and she said raynaud's does that too. From what I gathered, going from the warm, and then the cooler air in the bathroom made them turn color.

ritzbit
01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Mine get better under hot water. And I've been on the Norvasc since the end of last February

abbasgirl
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Holy cow! That's a long time to be on something that is supposed to help. Push her on trying something else and if she won't, fire her sorry butt, Ritz.

Someone needs to invent battery powered heating gloves. Or have they already and I just don't know?

ritzbit
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Lol I dont know but I'll buy a few pairs =D I could use them

mountaindreamer
01-15-2010, 09:17 PM
my hands also turn all of those freaky colors. Sometimes i look at them, and just hide my hands so that no one can see the coloring. When they get really bright red, that is when they are burning from the inside...can be painful.

BonusMom
01-15-2010, 11:26 PM
You'll be happy to know that I just saw some battery operated heated gloves yesterday when I was researching Raynaud's. I'll find the info and post it in this thread.

I was really surprised to see the pix on-line of people with severe Raynaud's. Mine's not nearly that bad and I about fell out of my chair when I saw your post, Ritzbitz. Your poor hands.

ritzbit
01-16-2010, 09:10 AM
my hands also turn all of those freaky colors. Sometimes i look at them, and just hide my hands so that no one can see the coloring. When they get really bright red, that is when they are burning from the inside...can be painful.

I know what you mean. No matter what mine never look normal. I always try to hide my hands by pulling my shirt sleeves down over them or I usually have gloves on. Its hard to write at school though with gloves on and numb hands though :grumpy:
People comment on them all the time like oh my god do you know that your hands are purple?!! Im pretty sure you cant miss that lol

Thanks BonusMom I'd really like to try getting a pair =) I hope something like that would help becuz nothing else really does

lucky7
01-20-2010, 04:30 PM
:yup::ouch::werd:OMG I was just at my drs on Monday and he talked about how concerened he is that my Raynauds is WORSE. SO, he put me in a trial study for some new medication they are testing out. I am waiting for the call from the University to get me started. In the meantime he said i HAVE to keep my HANDS and FEET from turning cold, no matter what. He thinks this is why my heart is also having damage caused to it. The bad circulation is continuous if i dont warm my hands and feet. Mine look just like yours too. PURPLE and spotty. KEEP THEM WARM HUN! I wear gloves around the house, my dr told me to get those warmer inserts for gloves. GOOD LOCK!! XXXOOO

wrightrs
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
My hand do this too. The cold weather is so painful. I sleep in slippers and gloves.

brandichi
01-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Ritzbit, my gosh that looks horribly painful!! It might be worthwhile to see a cardiologist if your rheumy isn't taking this seriously. I had to see one a year ago for chest pain and he was very concerned about the Reynaud's at the time. He wrote me a prescription then for Procardia, which I didn't fill because I was afraid of taking a "heart pill" if I didn't have heart problems. Now that I've been on Procardia for about 2 months, my Reynaud's is no longer a problem!! I can even take something out of the freezer without wearing gloves, and I haven't been able to do that in over 3 years. The funniest thing was one day I was over at my parents' and my dad touched my hand and was absolutely amazed that it wasn't cold as it always is. It was the first time in years my hands were warm! I'm not saying Procardia is the answer for everyone, but there are a whole lot of alternatives other than Norvasc, and clearly it's not helping you. There is also a nitroglycerine ointment you can put on your hands, but because I have a small dog I didn't want to try that.

I always say that we hire our doctors and we can fire them as well. If yours is no longer helping you in this area, hire someone who will. Best of luck!!

ritzbit
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
They were finally going to up my Norvasc but I messed that up for myself becuz I wasnt taking my meds. So now its back to square one. I've been soo tired the past few days. Im actually willingly taking my sleeping medicine becuz I just want more and more sleep. I dont see how I ALWAYS feel more crappy when Im on my meds. Im getting behind in school. My usual straight A's are straight B's right now and I almost have a C in psychology. I dont even have very hard classes right now I just cant keep up.

With my hands they are the same pretty much, maybe a little better today. Im just glad they aren't swelling up really bad becuz the last time they were purple all the time and they were just really bad my hands were twice as big as normal.

capncrunch
01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
wow... i know that hot water makes those hands feel better. My hands just turn stiff, like i can't feel em and thats only in really cold weather other wise i get like poor blood circulation in my feet. which is also cause during in the winter time.

ritzbit
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
I hate winter. Its never warm enough in my house and Im always freezing outside. a lot of stuff is hard to do with thick gloves on so its just a pain all the time

Melly
02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Omigosh!! That looks so painful! I'm so sorry your Raynauds is so bad. I have it too, but I've never experienced it to the degree you are. It makes me hurt just looking at your photos. :'( I wish there was something I could do to help you out. *gentle hugs*

ritzbit
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Im sorry you have it too. Its a pain. Thank you. Im hoping the rheumy will do something more for it tomorrow at my appointment. We'll see how that goes.