PDA

View Full Version : I am freaking out over dr visit

leaann
01-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Yesterday went to the dr... where the dr went over the last blood test that I had taken... everything was just where it was suspose to be except one test... I had a liver function test and the numbers were 3 times more than they should be. today I had to go and have more blood test including a test for autoimmune hepatitis...I have been searching all day and last night about it... I was also looking for information on lupus and the liver to see if that had a relation...I do know that diabates can causes problems with the liver but the dr does not think that is the cause....

Can anymore be of help or sugestions... I am freaking out and don't know what to do and waiting on the results of the test will drive me nuts....

Thanks

abbasgirl
01-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Oh Lea! (((((Hugs)))))) Wish I could reach right through the monitor and give you a real hug. Tests can often be wrong or off somewhat, so I'd wait for the results of the tests you had done today. I believe lupus can attack just about anything. It's possible. There are so many evils it can do, but if caught in time, science can get it under control. I've not read anything about that in particular but I will look. Don't freak out for too long...the stress is detrimental to you. If you can, take a walk, relax however you can the best you can. That's probably a big thing to ask right now and hard to do...and it may take a while for the stress to reduce, but don't freak out too long... it's so hard on the body. We're holding your hand Lea and will go through this with you. I'll look and see what I can find. You have my prayers sweet friend.

abbasgirl
01-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I found this snippet from this article here...http://cerebel.com/lupus/overview2.php

Medical peritonitis with or without ascites is a manifestation of lupus serositis involving the peritoneum. Less common manifestations of lupus involving the gastrointestinal tract include mesenteric ischemia from mesenteric vasculitis and pancreatitis. The latter can be a manifestation of disease activity, or less commonly, a consequence of disease treatment as with steroids. Nonspecific inflammatory liver disease has been described in lupus. Liver function abnormalities in lupus, however, are most commonly explained by idiosyncratic reactions to aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, hydroxychloroquine, or azathioprine. Progression to cirrhosis as a consequence of inflammatory liver disease in SLE is rare.

Reading hydroxychloroquine jumps up off the page for me...PLAQUENIL???? I don't recall being informed that plaq is rough on the liver, do you? I'm floored.

I'll keep looking Lea.

abbasgirl
01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Here's another article...http://www.aolhealth.com/ask-an-expert/ask-an-expert-lupus-and-liver-disease

One type of liver disease not associated with lupus sounds like it is: lupoid hepatitis. In fact, this condition has been renamed "autoimmune hepatitis" because there is no direct link between this form of hepatitis and lupus.

The association between lupus and liver disease doesn't mean all liver problems in people with lupus are due to lupus itself. In fact, lupus and liver disease may occur together just by coincidence. Often the relationship between the two is uncertain.

There are at least two situations in which doctors can be fairly certain that lupus is the direct cause of liver disease:

*When the liver problem and lupus get better and worse together — for example, when the liver disease develops or worsens at the same time that lupus is most active (that is, during "flares" of inflammation in other parts of the body) and improves as lupus responds to treatment.

*When a biopsy of the liver shows inflammation typical of lupus in other parts of the body; for example, a blood vessel may show inflammation (called vasculitis) in the liver, just as it may in the skin or kidney.

By reviewing symptoms, examination findings and certain blood tests, doctors can usually determine what type of liver problem is likely and whether it is directly related to lupus. Sometimes, a liver biopsy is necessary to sort things out. During this minor procedure, a small sample of the liver is removed for analysis.

leaann
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone, I think just the thought of it kind of scared me...My aunt had a liver transplant a few years ago and I know what she has had to deal with.... It is just upsetting not knowing and waiting on test.... My husband says i worry to much about things and he is probably right but that is just the way I am... He tries to act like he doesn't worry but last night when I finally laid down he kept coming in the room checking on me and talking to me, I could tell he was worried even though he said he wasn't worried... I will try not to worry but thats hard... thanks for the information... most of what I found was confusing but I am still searching... I want all the information I can get so if they say something is wrong for sure I know how to talk to them... I don't want to be a dummy when I go back to the dr... better to have information than to not...

I wasn't sure weather or not to talk to my mom about it but I finally decided to do so and now I feel some better about it... we were able to go over our family history to find out if any one else in the family had liver problems other than my aunt... we couldn't come up with anyone... Maybe thats a good thing... well the test will be complete in few days and maybe the dr want wait so long to get the results back to me like she did on the last test... It took her 3 months to get the last test to me...
keeping my head about water on this one and want let it get me down... life is to short to let it get you down and I am to young to die right now.. ok I am babbling on got to run... later

magistramarla
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Lea,
Are you taking Plaquinil (as Abbasgirl mentioned) and/or Methotrexate? I'm on both of those, and the doc keeps track of my liver function because of them.
Marla

leaann
01-13-2010, 07:18 AM
hi magistramarla,

No I am not taking either of those medications...The dr says that the medication that I am taking should not effect my liver and there is no family history of liver problems other than my aunt but we found out hers was for other reasons...but it is all to upsetting for me, but I have calmed down about it some...

just waiting on the test to come back now and waiting is the hardest part...