PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss. I figured it out>

erinnlee
08-30-2005, 07:09 AM
I have long hair, and have been losing it rapidly over the last few weeks. And it's gotten me down. My husband suggested a haircut might help, something funky, and I figured, sure, why the heck not.

So here's the plan. I'm going to have 10 inches of my hair cut off. It will make my hair pretty short, but, I can donate it to locks of love, which goes to kids and adults who have no hair.

So I guess it makes sense. I'd rather see someone who needs it, get it, rather than lose it to the drain!

(think my hubby will freak?)

Erinn

hippimom2
08-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I might be right behind you in line for a haircut. My hair is not as long as yours, but it's thin and unhealthy. I think a new haircut would be fun. You could surprise your husband - he might love it :lol:

SoleSinger
08-30-2005, 11:40 AM
When you are at the salon, look for a shampoo line called Nioxin. It helps keep the hair in your head and in some cases actually helps it grow back in. It takes a little bit for it to show signs of working, but it does work, at least a little bit. It's kind of expensive, but you don't need much. I use less than a dime size of both the shampoo and the scalp therapy, and my hair is to my chin.

Something to try!

erinnlee
08-31-2005, 06:10 AM
I'll definitely look for it! Thanks. I should take a before and after for kicks....

My husband is kinda excited about it. When he met me my hair was short, red and spiky, it's now halfway down my back and dark brown.... Of course, I think he secretly prefers it long, but we'll see.

Missy
09-13-2005, 05:56 PM
My husband likes my hair long, too, but I did the same thing and cut it short when I was losing hair fast and felt it looked unhealthy from all the meds. It totally looks cute now and I get lots of complements;plus, it's easy to do. Nioxin did not work for me, but I had fine hair before I got Lupus.

Good luck on the haircut - I think it's a good idea! And a way to treat yourself with a little time at the salon!

devotedmom
09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
I had really thick long hair up to my waist & I too had to cut it very short. But I started slowly moving up little by little until I had it up to my neck. I guess it was hard for me to cut it in just one try but I always had my hair long. Everybody liked my hair short so it not that bad, hey it a new look right?

Well my question is, most of us are cutting are hair short because it looks unhealthy & losing it very rapidly, now when your hair grows back did any one notice a difference?

The reason I ask that is because like I mention my hair was really thick that I couldn't put it up in a pony tail or put a burett on it because of the thickness. My mother always told me she could use my hair to sew. LOL
Anyways, now my hair is very thin I like it better this way cause I can do more styles than with thick hair. Has any one noticed a difference, just curious?

Devotedmom

erinnlee
09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
LOL. Mine will take a while to grow back. It was kind of apalling though, the stylist cutting it asked why I was cutting my nice, long hair, and when I replied that I was losing it due to Lupus, he imediately asked if it was contagious! I laughed, but was a little offended (though, in a way, I understand). He had never even heard of Lupus before and was shocked to realize that it can be so serious, and that so many people can be affected.

I guess until the word spreads....

ON another note, I just heard that they are doing a LUPUS WALK in Hartford, CT!

Saysusie
09-22-2005, 01:01 PM
I lost almost all of my hair in several patches and the rest became very thin. Like everyone else, I cut it very short when it began to grow back (prior to that, I wore wigs and weaves). My hair was very, very thick and extremely curly.
When it did grow back, it was not the same hair that I had before. It grew back baby fine and stayed that way for a couple of years. I had to use thickeners in it to get it to do anything because it was so fine. As the years have passed, it has gotten thicker but it is nowhere near what it used to be. The texture remains fine but it did get it's curliness back. After all of that, it began to thin again (just due to age); So, I NEVER saw my former thick curly hair again :(

Best of Luck
Saysusie

Neicee99
10-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi
I have been losing my hair like crazy. Does anyone have little scabs or nickle sized spots on their head that are crusty? I read it was due to where you lost your hair but then I was wondering if it was discoid lupus?

I keep teasing my husband and saying that I could save all of the hair I am losing and put it on his head :P

SoleSinger
10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
I have sores, but they aren't scabby... it's kind of weird actually...

purplegirl
10-31-2005, 09:58 AM
My hair which is normally healthy and grows very rapid, since beginning prednasone is not the same. Over the weekend i got a hair cut and it looks nice. i have about one and a half inches on the top and the rest is cut to my scalp. I do like it. i don't think my husband did, but tooo bad. I had to do something to make me feel blended.

lexis214
11-01-2005, 07:19 AM
I have always had long dark red hair and decided to go short in Dec 2004.
I was so worried that I would no longer get the complements of how beautiful my hair was but boy was I wrong. It turns out that I should have had short hair a long time ago..
The way I see it................ :angel: So many are afraid to take the leap and go short so for those of us that do... Confidence is written all over us. When we are confident then we are even more beautiful.. We then have inner beauty as well.. I get more compliments now than ever. All my male friends and relatives as well as my husband, say that it shows a sense of sensualality which is very sexy.. We are the minority so we stand out in a croud..
Go for it girl and get ready to see the heads turning!!!

Angie :B-fly:

Neicee99
11-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi Angie
Thanks so much for your reply. Your hair sounded beautiful. As I see it, it's just hair. Afterall, it is something that will regrow and is the smallest of my problems in life. that's what they make wigs for, right :rainbowafro: :rainbowafro: :rainbowafro: How much of your hair did you lose before you cut it? Did you lose it in clumps, over a period of time with little patches showing or what?

My almost 15 year old daughter noticed a patch on my head that is bare and she was all concerned about it and I turned to her and said, honey, it's only hair and hair will always regrow. My kids are used to seeing me with different hairstyles all the time so this will be just a bit shorter. When is the right time to cut it? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Thanks tons.
Denise (NH)

lexis214
11-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Denise,
I think I must be pretty lucky. I noticed hair loss before my diagnosis with lupus and it was more of an all over loss. Like my hair just got much thinner. At the time I did not know about Lupus and blamed it on weight loss that I was having. I decided to cut my hair when I wasn't sure what was going on with me disease wise. I was just looking for a way to lift my spirits and boy did it. I absolutely love short hair. Sometimes when you have long hair and depression sets in it is easy to pull it back and never get yourself made up. With shrt hair you are forced to get up and style it. As we all know it makes any day better when you are up and dressed and feeling good about your looks.

So I say go for it... Go alone and come home and surprise the whole gang!!
Let me know how it goes.

Angie