PDA

View Full Version : Pinched Nerve

DrinkofWtr
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi Everybody,

Went for a walk on the beach yesterday and my lower back hurt so badly. I think I may have a pinched nerve. I have a Drs. appointment on the 19th and if I don't get worse in the erstwhile, I will address the problem when I see him. In the meantime, I have been putting ice on my lower back at night for relief. It seems to help temporarily. But by the end of the day it is hurting badly again. I probably need chiropractics, also.

Spanglishqueen
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your back:sorry: Also try heat. For Xmas my mom gave me several heating massagers which do wonders for the sore joints. Hope you get some relief soon.

Take care

gina
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I was told by the dr's to do heat and cold so maybe getting heating pad sleep use it for twenty min. on twenty mins off while your at home. depends what works best for you some people its heat some its cold.

i have chronic back pain so i understand how you feel.

abbasgirl
01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Ow! (((((Hugs)))))

I've also was told heat and cold. Sometimes it helps, and sometimes it doesn't.

Take it easy.

lucky7
01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Accupuncture is the BEST!!!!!!! Its been the one thing that has actually worked for my back pain!!!!! But, it costs $100 a session! Insurance needs to cover it cuz its a heck of alot better than the chiropractor! Believe me, you will be saying WOO HOO when you leave your session!!!!! WOO HOO to THAT!!!!!!

DrinkofWtr
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately, I can't afford $100 a session.

lucky7
01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
:rant::yell:I am in the same boat unfortunately. I havent had a session in about a year. UGH to THAT! My husband keeps telling me to make an appt for one a month BUT with my severe back issues i have to get in at least 2-3 sessions a week to keep my back pain free (or longer) than a couple of days. Its too much $ to get and/or be healthy huh! BOOOO to THAT!

JamesKnochel
01-17-2010, 12:08 AM
:rant::yell:I am in the same boat unfortunately. I havent had a session in about a year. UGH to THAT! My husband keeps telling me to make an appt for one a month BUT with my severe back issues i have to get in at least 2-3 sessions a week to keep my back pain free (or longer) than a couple of days. Its too much $ to get and/or be healthy huh! BOOOO to THAT!

If you need 2-3 sessions a week, then there's probably something else that would benefit you more. I've been to a half-dozen acupuncturists, and the woman who used 'acupressure' (acupuncture without needles) was better than all of them.

There are similar things that you can do for yourself. I've received a lot of benefit from Donna Eden's book Energy Medicine, for example. The book concentrates on self-care routines - simple exercises to balance the body's energy systems...

Auto-immune conditions are usually related to the fight-or-flight system, aka Triple Warmer. When the fight-or-flight system is overactive, nothing else works right.

My fight-or-flight system was put on overload when I almost drowned - see my introductory post.

Sincerely,
James Knochel

DrinkofWtr
01-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Dear Lucky 7,

First of all, I am so sorry you have to deal with excuriating back pain. I just wanted to say that it's bad enough that we can't afford treatment through acupuncturists, and other health professionals, but healthy eating can be very expensive too. The cost of fresh fruit and vegetables can be pricey. Let alone their short shelf life and the necessityof going to the store frequently to buy them (my refrigerator doesn't keep things well). I find that I am often hungry not long after eating them. In other words, they do not always satisfy. I know the old adage, you can't put a price on health, but I feel defeated before even attempting a vegetarian or really healthy eating regime. It may have to do with how bad I feel everyday from the lupus, and fibromyalgia alone.

JamesKnochel
01-17-2010, 09:25 AM
... healthy eating can be very expensive too. The cost of fresh fruit and vegetables can be pricey. Let alone their short shelf life and the necessityof going to the store frequently to buy them (my refrigerator doesn't keep things well). ...

Have you ever tried sprouts? You can get a jar and some seeds. Soak the seeds in water for a couple hours (depending on the type of seed), then rinse the seeds 2-3 times daily until they've sprouted.

I myself have only sprouted wheat berries and mung beans, but you can also sprout radish seeds and any number of other vegetables.

sincerely,
james knochel

DrinkofWtr
01-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Dear James,

I heard that sprouts are bad for lupus. I'm I wrong in believing this.

rob
01-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Dear James,

I heard that sprouts are bad for lupus. I'm I wrong in believing this.

Here's a link to a Q&A session at the Lupus Foundation of America website concerning sprouts and people with Lupus.
It's the very first question at the top of the page-

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_communitywebchats.aspx?articleid=689&zoneid=93

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution, so I avoid sprouts. And, my mother who also has SLE, has experienced
bad flares after consuming sprouts.

Rob

JamesKnochel
01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Here's a link to a Q&A session at the Lupus Foundation of America website concerning sprouts and people with Lupus.
It's the very first question at the top of the page-

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_communitywebchats.aspx?articleid=689&zoneid=93

Thanks for the link. I've heard cautions about alfalfa before, so I've been sprouting wheat and mung beans. The speaker in the link says "L-canavanine" is the problem, and wikipedia says this is especially high in legumes such as alfalfa, and (presumably) mung beans. Guess I should try sprouting other seeds.

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution, so I avoid sprouts. And, my mother who also has SLE, has experienced
bad flares after consuming sprouts.

Rob

thanks,
James Knochel

DrinkofWtr
01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I went to the Dr. today and he told me to relax and to take ibuprofen. Let's hope it helps!

lucky7
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
HI DRINKOF WTR!!! Yes, those things work of course BUT, also try light walking or water exercising,then ALWAYS get stretching in daily if you can. Stretch after exercising though,just WARM UP BEFORE, you can injure yourself more if you try stretching before you work out. OUr bodies arent loose enough and our joints arent lubricated before working out. THIS HELPS ALOT. Yes, eating right IS SO EXPENSIVE BUT, we know its the best thing for us SO, eat what you can afford. The worse my diet is with no exercise or stretching, well, im in PAIN! UGH! Posture matters MORE than you know too. I have to think about it alot though! Its too easy to be "slumpy"! LOL I also have a special "leg elevator" and a special "back support" foam cushion. I use these ALWAYS and i have to say that since the accupuncture its been the BEST THING i discovered to align my body while laying or sitting down. Which i do ALOT of these days! LOL They arent that expensive and they are used daily so you will get MORE than what you pay for out of them. Please take care of yourself and do what is within your power (and budget, UGH!) to make yourslef feel the BEST YOU CAN! HUGS TO YOU!!! XXXXXXX

lucky7
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
HI James!!!!! Thank you for the tips and the book advice!!!!! Im up for anything!!! I never heard of NOT using the needles,interesting. I also LOVE to read,so THATS going ot be on my list for my next trip to Barnes and Noble book store! My back issue will NEVER be "ok" unfortunately, i have a broken L5 and my disc wore away, so im grinding bone on bone. BUT, the few things i have adjusted and/or added to my daily routines HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE! WOO HOO!!