PDA

View Full Version : diabetes and lupus

capncrunch
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
i was just wondering if anyone have both? one side of my family has diabetes #2. and i have heard that people with lupus tend to have a higher chance of getting diabetes. so i am afraid that i will get it and my choice of eating would be very limited.

DrinkofWtr
01-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I have lupus and hypoglycemia, but not lupus and diabetes.

abbasgirl
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
That is scary. I think the main cause for worry is that treatment for lupus could cause diabetes. I have read that lupus can cause diabetes by attacking the body's insulin receptors. I worry about it sometimes too even though there is no known diabetes on either side of my family. Doc told me sugar was elevated, but there's no reason for it to be. It haunts me sometimes. I try to remind myself that there is no need to worry because we don't know for sure and until then the worry isn't helping anyway. There are a lot of normal things that elevate sugar. Sometimes though...when I think about what I've learned ....the things that autoimmune disease can do to a body...it makes me want to curl up and cry. And that's okay...as long as I don't stay like that for long. Science knows a lot more than they used to...people live longer healthier lives. It will be okay Capn! ((((Hugs))))

BonusMom
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
No diabetes for me--thank goodness!

SandyR
01-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I have diabetes (totally diet controlled) and something very similar to Lupus (although I still think that I will eventually be diagnosed with Lupus). I know there are others on here with diabetes too. If you search old threads for diabetes you will find some of them. I have been diagnosed with diabetes longer then AI conditions but have had AI symptoms for longer than I have had diabetes. I also have stomach disease in the AI family and am lactose intolerant can say that for all my problems, when I eat well, I feel better and that with all my different issues, there are really not many things that I can't have. Just mostly things that I can only have in moderation. Hope this all helps you.
Sandy

Nonna
01-11-2010, 07:21 PM
From what I understand lupus is an autoimmune disease; what happens is your auto immune system attacks your own body. Some please correct me if I'm wrong. Diabetes happens when your pancreas no longer functions. I have already lost several of my glands and see an endocrinologist. His reaction when I told him I had a Lupus diagnosis was a visual "Oh Boy". In the past I wondered when I'd be hit with diabetes; I was severely hypoglycemic at one point. Now I just wait and take every day as it comes.

Don't worry! It may never happen is my motto when it comes to this.

Nonna

Enjoy Life to the Best of your Ability. It only happens once.

Faith
01-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I have Lupus and was dx'd as diabetic prior to Lupus. I control it by food by herbs. I still worry when the labs are done. Recently had 24 hour urine done and leaking protein and creatine; adjusted blood pressure meds up and it seems to have helped. I pray and hand it to God.

Faith

capncrunch
01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
I have Lupus and was dx'd as diabetic prior to Lupus. I control it by food by herbs. I still worry when the labs are done. Recently had 24 hour urine done and leaking protein and creatine; adjusted blood pressure meds up and it seems to have helped. I pray and hand it to God.

Faith

did the blood pressure meds help with the leaking of protein?

SandyR
01-13-2010, 06:47 PM
From what I understand lupus is an autoimmune disease; what happens is your auto immune system attacks your own body. Some please correct me if I'm wrong. Diabetes happens when your pancreas no longer functions.

That is not quite true. You can have diabetes and have a pancreas that is still functioning, just not as well as it should or did. It is about the insulin. See below.

"In type 2 diabetes, either the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells ignore the insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use glucose for energy. When you eat food, the body breaks down all of the sugars and starches into glucose, which is the basic fuel for the cells in the body. Insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells. When glucose builds up in the blood instead of going into cells, it can lead to diabetes complications." Quoted from American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/

Nonna
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
SandyR

Quote Originally Posted by Nonna View Post
From what I understand lupus is an autoimmune disease; what happens is your auto immune system attacks your own body. Some please correct me if I'm wrong. Diabetes happens when your pancreas no longer functions.
That is not quite true. You can have diabetes and have a pancreas that is still functioning, just not as well as it should or did. It is about the insulin. See below.

"In type 2 diabetes, either the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells ignore the insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use glucose for energy. When you eat food, the body breaks down all of the sugars and starches into glucose, which is the basic fuel for the cells in the body. Insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells. When glucose builds up in the blood instead of going into cells, it can lead to diabetes complications." Quoted from American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/

Thanks Sandy I asked to be corrected and I appreciate it. My insulin has always run crazy.

SandyR
01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
No problem Nonna. :D I didn't really understand it fully before I had it and went to a diabetes educator, even with generations of family members who have it. Here's a good link about insulin and how it works from the ADA. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/medication/insulin/insulin-basics.html