PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss frequency

SoleSinger
08-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi guys...

Yet ANOTHER question from me... :)

I have been losing a fair amount of hair daily for a few months now, which I'm sure everyone can relate to... Now for the most part, it comes out at a fairly steady pace, and some days I WON'T lose so much, but more frequently I'll have days where it seems almost like I'll wake up completely bald the next day...

Now, I actually have two questions... First of all, is it normal to lose more hair some days than others or is it typically pretty steady? And secondly, on the days when I'm losing more hair, does that mean that my lupus is more active? Should I take it easier and take extra precautions to stay out of the sun on those days?

Okay that was three questions...

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

erinnlee
08-30-2005, 06:23 AM
I have been having the same problem for the last month. It's a little scary. I'm trying to get more rest, eat well and excercise regularly. I've done a little research, and sometimes as hair loss can be stress related, , you can counter the effect of it by excercising 20 minutes a day, releasing endorphins, which counteract the stress hormones, and slow the hair loss down.

I'm trying it (though I am doing 30-45 minutes 5 times a week). I may also go see my doctor.

Erinn

SoleSinger
08-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not so worried about the actual hair loss... I know that comes with the territory... I was more concerned as to whether or not it means something when it seems to be coming out more frequently... I'm just wondering so that I can take extra precautions if necessary, and if not I won't have to run around feeling like a hypochondriac! :)

Amanda109
09-03-2005, 08:09 PM
I thought I was going to go completely bald. When I would take showers, it would come out in handfuls; mind you, I had beautiful, brown long hair. My rheumy said nothing could really help it, it was from the actual lupus.

Luckily, it stopped falling out, about a month ago, and is growing. Keep your chin up.

Ethel Mae Potter
09-30-2005, 10:19 AM
I have been wearing a wig for about 7 years now. I have a new rheumy- at my appt yesterday I told him about my hair and he said: GO TO A DERMATOLOGIST! HA HA HA...he didnt think the hair loss had any relation to the lupus/autoimmune problem I have. How does he think I wound up in his office- my hair was so so thin, I went to a dermatologist, they found I had a positive ANA test- so the dermatologist determines the cause of hair lose is Lupus-- now the rheumotologist is saying the cause of hair loss is hormones or genetic (it started at age 19) Then he prescribed vitamins! I am 45, wearing a wig, like I havent tried all of this before?

SoleSinger
09-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Sounds like you need a new rheumie...

Ethel Mae Potter
09-30-2005, 10:42 AM
My old rheumy went off of my insurance plan, just like that, so this is really the only guy on my plan. I need my meds so I am going to him- That's the way it goes. I started crying in his office, the he precribed some folate with b-complex vitamin for my hair- it was always really fine and hard to get into a good style- always kind of awful- the wigs actually look much better than my old hair even when it was at its best- I have thickness and length I never had.
However, I would give anything not to have to be dealing with these wigs. I have spent thousands of dollars since 1998 on hair replacement. No one knows about it except I have to tell the guys I date -- I was tricked by this one salon, into very expensive "permanent" bonding where you go back every 6 weeks and pay from $70-$120 to get reglued down. The pcs cost $1000- $1500. Yeah it looked great but now I am broke and wearing cheap wigs that I tape on myself.

erinnlee
10-04-2005, 09:03 AM
My MIL wears a wig and it looks stunning. She's been wearing one since she was in her early 30's. No one knows, but very close family.

I've cropped my hair so short that the next step will be to shave it all off, but you know what? I don't really mind or care anymore. There are too many other things for me to worry about.

And if the guy/gal you are with has a problem with it, then THEY are the problem.

If every woman with lupus shaved her head, I wonder how much of a statement it would make to the media? All these bald women walking around that no one really knew were sick. I wonder if it would make people take notice of the fact that this is a SERIOUS condition????

SoleSinger
10-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, with as much hair as I am losing now, and soon to be starting chemotherapy, I am all ready to shave my head! It's all gotten so brittle and dry anyway, and I can't do anything with it!

I am a little concerned with going out and doing gigs in the middle of winter with a bald head... Not that I can't wear hats and scarves, but, I do worry about catching a cold... ON TOP of my appearance in the band... I just hope I look like a bald gilr, not a sick girl...

Oh! And if anyone was wondering, my doctor said that on days that you lose more hair, doesn't necessarily mean that your lupus is more active on those days and you don't have to take any more precautions than you do any other day... It's just a thing that happens I guess...

hatlady
10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I've been pretty lucky so far, my hair is thinning, but not too bad. I stay out of the sun religiously, and find that when I'm stressed, hair loss is greater. My hair is gettng progressively shorter - easier to style and looks a bit thicker that way.

I tried a wig once, years ago, and found it so hot and uncomfortable I doubt I'd go that way. Hats, shaved head when it is warm out, or scarves. Hey, I'm hatlady, just give me a new reason to buy INDOOR hats as well! As erinlee says, it is all in the attitude. :wink:

erinnlee
10-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Sole singer,
I wonder if you couldn't find someone to do a cool painting or drawing on your head for shows. Some sort of message or maybe the band loo. Then it will look like you're just making a statement... for each show you could do something new. I bet it would make people want to see what you do next...

e.

SoleSinger
10-05-2005, 02:26 PM
THAT might be really cool!!!

AWESOME IDEA!!! I will have to look into it!!

Thanks!

Ethel Mae Potter
10-05-2005, 08:07 PM
I was afraid to try a wig too- I figured it would be hot and uncomfortable, but these days they make them with a net like mesh under the hair, so it really isnt any hotter than having a head full of hair, and is very comfortable. I dont even notice I have one on.

I always see cancer patients stating they wont wear a wig-- and I think so many would feel better with one, but there is that notion that they are hot, thick and uncomfortable and fake looking-- I had the same fear/issues and actually the wigs are very nice and light and realistic.

Altho I would give anything to actually have my own hair!